cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback policy change proposal

As a long time, consistently excellent buying customer on eBay but never a seller, my biggest complaint revolves around sellers who do not reciprocate the positive feedback that they receive from a buyer. I have read many posts regarding this, most of which make statements about how feedback is never required, some sellers don’t think it’s worth leaving feedback because they can only leave positive for a buyer, etc.  While these statements are true on their face of course, they miss the point I wish to make. As a buyer, when I leave positive feedback for a seller, I have directly benefited them in very important ways, not the least of which is raising their seller score and profile.  The minimum a seller should do is to reciprocate that favor, especially since if a buyer leaves positive feedback there could hardly be a good reason for the seller to not feel the transaction was positive as well.

Here I come to the main point of this post. I would like to see a change in eBay feedback policy, that would allow for a person to remove feedback within a certain time, if they so choose for whatever reason. This change would not allow for changing a positive feedback to a negative for example, but would allow a buyer to be able to remove the positive feedback that was left if the seller is not going to reciprocate. Why should a seller benefit so enormously when they can’t be bothered to take the time to reciprocate to the person doing them the positive favor, let alone purchasing from them?  There would of course be a time limit to take this action, and as I stated, no ability to change a positive to a negative, but the ability to remove positive feedback that raises a score if this is not reciprocated.  This could and should of course work the other way as well. If a seller leaves positive feedback for a buyer, and the buyer doesn’t reciprocate, the seller could choose to remove that positive from the buyer. Obviously these things would be at the discretion of each individual, with no requirement for any such removal, but with the option existing as it is highly offensive to me and I am sure to others that when we benefit someone else and receive nothing in return, it is really a proverbial slap in the face.
A gentle reminder can be left regarding feedback, but in certain cases, these are ignored, and I really think there should be the ability to simply remove the feedback completely so the seller does not benefit from the goodwill if they are not going to reciprocate to the buyer who has benefited them so greatly.  I am very much interested in thoughts and comments regarding the specific details of this proposal, especially any downsides to this proposal that I may not be recognizing.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: feedback policy change proposal

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

As a buyer when you leave positive FB for a seller, it has a trivial benefit to the seller.

As a seller when we leave FB for a buyer it has no benefit to the buyer other than that which their psychological profile provides for them.

I use the Ebay automatic FB option because it is not worth wasting my time. Some sellers don't do that because encouraging buyers to expect FB is of no benefit to anyone.

Wayback, on this site, some buyers were described as "feedback needy" and ridiculed.

I think that was largely due to ebay placing so much emphasis on feedback in the early years.   It's always been voluntary,  but way back they constantly encouraged you to leave feedback, almost  to the point of badgering.  They promoted it as a unifying link that enabled everyone to 'share their experience and make ebay better ' .   They presented this site as a one-big-happy-family adventure.  It wasn't until I was having difficulty with a bad seller back then, that I realized what a croc that was.

Message 46 of 66
latest reply

The founder, Pierre, and I had an email exchange after I refused to allow Ebay to advertise on my website.

We refused Ebay as an advertiser because none of the normal consumer protection laws were being applied to Ebay sales, and we would not be associated with the site in any way.

He claimed the feedback system was an adequate substitute for normal practices. That was the sole reason for FB. It required no effort to police the site. Some buyers and sellers have retained the old culture, even though Ebay makes no use of FB and polices this site similarly to other marketplaces.

Message 47 of 66
latest reply

Feedback means nothing to me. All I care about is getting a good deal. I leave it for the seller, but I don't care if they leave any for me.

Message 48 of 66
latest reply

@carey-marie 

To be honest, on my selling account, I have everything at Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required. I personally don't see the need to leave feedback for buyers much any longer. What am I going to say? "Fast payment (buyer needs to pay before I see the sale), great buyer (not sure if they are great or will complain)"

At first, I was pretty upset about ONLY leaving positive feedback for a buyer, but it's been like 16 years... what good would ANY buyer feedback do for me?

Message 49 of 66
latest reply

Years back, 10 or more I think, one seller used to leave FB "Thanks for finding the pay now button."

Message 50 of 66
latest reply

@carey-marie wrote:

Not really answering my point of why not just allow for removal of a positive if either party wants to do so within a time frame.  No one has actually stated why this should not be allowed. 

@carey-marie 

I’ll try to make the reasons clear for you:

• It would eliminate the ‘voluntary’ nature of the feedback system.
  • Buyers would have another way to use feedback to ‘extort’ sellers.
  • Feedback helpful to buyers (in general) could be removed for a totally petty reason.
  • eBay coders would be changing its feedback system for ONE person.  

[I’ve read hundreds of thousands (conservatively) of posts over an 18-year period … and you are the ONLY person to have requested such a change.]

Message 51 of 66
latest reply

So what if I am the only person?  What difference does that make to a good idea?

Message 52 of 66
latest reply

Again, you got a benefit from the buyer both in terms of a sale, as well as in the addition to your feedback profile.  This should warrant a reciprocation.

Message 53 of 66
latest reply

Totally your right to feel that way, but I care if a benefit I give is not returned.

Message 54 of 66
latest reply

I completely disagree that the benefit to the seller is trivial.  Top rated seller get all kinds of benefits, including the ability to screw over buyers with eBay approval.  I have posted on this previously.

Message 55 of 66
latest reply

I meant in terms of your point.

Message 56 of 66
latest reply

Than sellers should not benefit either.  That is my whole point.

Message 57 of 66
latest reply

Thank you for your understanding what I am stating here.  Sellers can set up to leave automatic feedback after they receive from the buyer.  Many of the answers here take longer to write by these sellers than it would to simply leave the reciprocal feedback.  Amazing.

Message 58 of 66
latest reply

The seller benefited.  I paid them money.  The have no good reason not to return the favor.  Period.

Message 59 of 66
latest reply

I do not need to be a seller to know that I benefitted the seller profile by leaving them feedback, and there is really no good reason to be so discourteous as to not take less than 10 seconds to return the favor to someone who spent money with you.

Message 60 of 66
latest reply