cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake tracking number that shows a delivery to my address--a month before i made purchase!

So i fell for the $99 water slide scam popular right now. bought a fancy inflatable water slide park for $99.

after googling it, i realized i'd been scammed. 

seller updated paypal transaction today w USPS tracking number.

tracking number shows delivery of item to my address 6/4/20.

transaction occurred 6/30/20, so amazing time travel 

how does a seller get a tracking number, with my address on it, showing delivery almost a month earlier?  

i have opened a dispute w paypal. if that fails, will file w credit card company. 

just curious as to how this happens. not even a fake tracking number but a fake tracking number showing delivery to me!  I searched my "all mail" for this tracking number and nothing else matches.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: fake tracking number that shows a delivery to my address--a month before i made purchase!

@kam13 wrote:

seller updated paypal transaction today w USPS tracking number.

tracking number shows delivery of item to my address 6/4/20.

transaction occurred 6/30/20, so amazing time travel 

Did your click Escalate to PayPal second from the bottom of the page? You can escalate for PayPal to review your claim 1 minute after you open a dispute.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: fake tracking number that shows a delivery to my address--a month before i made purchase!

oh my, that seller.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Did you check the tracking number via USPS, UPS, Fed-Ex company website tracking tool? Or just the tracking info provided by seller via eBay? I've found the eBay tracking to be lacking info frequently. (I got an item delivered a month ago, official USPS tracking shows delivered on correct date, yet even still today eBay shows no information other than "USPS Origin Scan" at the origin location...)

If it comes up on the official tracking tool (via USPS, UPS, etc...), that same way, somebody has a huge glitch in their system....

But I would bet it won't come up as a valid tracking number to your address... If it's valid at all.

When it fails to show that same information (and I think it will fail to show up) on the official tracking tool for the company, you can forward that info to PayPal and eBay. (As well as your CC company. Their Fraud dept. would love to hear from you as well.)

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@kam13,

"tracking number shows delivery of item to my address 6/4/20.

transaction occurred 6/30/20, so amazing time travel... how does a seller get a tracking number, with my address on it, showing delivery almost a month earlier?"

There seems to be a way for scammers to get UPS USPS "delivered" tracking numbers from the dark web. 

"i have opened a dispute w paypal. if that fails, will file w credit card company".

You should have filed an item not received (INR) dispute through ebay. You would have lost it, because the INR system checks tracking for delivery notices only, not date and place of delivery.  

However, you can appeal those decisions, and sent the tracking information which will be reviewed by a person, and the delivery date showing it was delivered before you made the purchase would result in getting a refund.

PayPal is going to do the same thing, their system will see "delivered" and turn down your request (as will your card provider most likely).  While waiting for PayPal to make a decision, you should contact the USPS by phone, tell the rep the date you purchased the item, then have them look at  the tracking information. Also ask them if the item was delivered to your address or if there was a different address on the shipping label.  Sometimes scammers use labels shipped to a buyer's zip code, but not to their address.  If there was a different address on the label, you should go to your local P.O. and get the delivery info in writing on USPS stationary.  You will need either a copy of the transaction purchase date and order details w/ the tracking number, or if you use the app you can show the counter person the info from your phone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You're not the first person to fall prey to this delivery scam. 

(Although you're the first one I've read that involved time travel)

There are multiple posts on these boards about this type of scam. 

Mudshark gives good advice. Unfortunately it's a time consuming process, 

and a huge pain in the backside. 

I'm waiting for ebay to develop a better system to address this. 

I suspect their working on it. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

time traveler  traveled back to 2020 from  2021 to scam you of your 100 dollars source.gif

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

in reply to 07-03-2020 09:30:42 AM

time traveler  traveled back to 2020 from  2021 to scam you of your 100 dollars 

................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the laugh.   That was fun.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply