cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's AI system supports fraudulent sellers

eBay's AI automation absolutely sucks. I know that eBay doesn't really care about its customers and only cares about their bottom line and it's a lot cheaper to use computers instead of real human beings to run their business. But this is a fatal flaw that has doomed the business. When it first started it was like an online flea market now it is filled with a plethora of Internet scammers and the AI system does absolutely nothing to stop them. In fact the way it is set up it actually promotes theft by making it basically impossible for unsuspecting buyer victims to get their money back when they've been cheated if the scammer is clever enough to figure out how to override the system. it's a shame because I used to enjoy transacting on eBay but never again!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ebay is buyer centric without question. And the thirty day MBG is iron clad if you follow the guidelines for filing your case.If this is about the recent negative feedback you left, i would have hit the back button fast upon seeing his feedback.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you didn't receive your item, did you open an Item Not Received case?

Did you check the sellers feedback?

With 94%, that should tell you to stay away from that seller.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

>>"In fact the way it is set up it actually promotes theft by making it basically impossible for unsuspecting buyer victims to get their money back when they've been cheated"<<

@lucidlynn 

There is no way a seller can "override" the Ebay Money Back Guarantee.

Ebay's 30 day Money Back Guarantee works 100% of the time if used properly. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

In the recent negative feedback you left a seller, you stated that the seller never sent the item. Did you file a Refund Request as soon as the estimated date of delivery had passed?

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You missed the point of my post. The scammer has figured out a way to override the very limited options a buyer has due to the AI computer system which now completely controls customer service. When my item didn't arrive my only option it gives is: 'contact the seller' The seller's response was nonsense and blamed it on the postal service even though both USPS and eBay show that only a tracking # was provided but nothing was shipped. The seller originally promised the item would be received within a few days but then he changed the arrival date. When that passed he changed the arrival date again. When that passed he did the same thing again. This is how he is overriding eBay's AI system. eBay does not give the buyer an opportunity to cancel the sale and get a refund when the arrival date has passed if the seller keeps changing that date. eBay is broken and after decades and hundreds of transactions I am done and will never use it again. Buyers should not have to waste so much of their time and energy dealing with these scammers because eBay is too cheap to hire real people in their customer service to assist. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@lucidlynn,

"When my item didn't arrive my only option it gives is: 'contact the seller' The seller's response was nonsense and blamed it on the postal service even though both USPS and eBay show that only a tracking # was provided but nothing was shipped".

All you had to do to resolve the problem was go to your purchase history, click on the More actions button, and select I didn't receive it as the reason for seeking a refund. eBay's automated system, would have searched he tracing number for a Delivered scan, and since one was not there, they would have forced the seller to refund you, if they did not do it themselves within 3 days.

" The seller originally promised the item would be received within a few days but then he changed the arrival date. When that passed he changed the arrival date again. When that passed he did the same thing again. This is how he is overriding eBay's AI system".

It sounds like you are opening the listing page over and over.  Each time you do that it will show an estimated delivery time frame, if you bought the item that day.  Clicking on the Order details would show the last estimated delivery date, for the day you made the purchase.  If that date is still less than 30 days ago, you can file the Item Not Received (INR) dispute today.

" eBay does not give the buyer an opportunity to cancel the sale and get a refund when the arrival date has passed if the seller keeps changing that date.  eBay is broken and after decades and hundreds of transactions I am done and will never use it again. Buyers should not have to waste so much of their time and energy dealing with these scammers because eBay is too cheap to hire real people in their customer service to assist".

This was one situation, that could have been handled with out human intervention, with just a few clicks. However to get the system to work for you, you have to read the terms and timeframes of ebay's money back guarantee (MBG) there is a link to the policy on most ebay listings just below the icons for the different payment methods you can use.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042

FYI. If you let the time frame to file an INR through ebay pass, but you used PayPal to pay for the item. They give you 180 days from the date you paid to file an INR through them, to get a refund. If you paid directly with a credit card, call the number on its back to find out how to do a charge back for the purchase.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The seller can't change the estimated delivery date that Ebay gave you.

If you are looking at the listing, that date will change, but it isn't your estimated delivery date.

Look at your purchase history and it'll show you your estimated delivery date.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You are absolutely wrong about that he changed it three times! It was supposed to arrive February 28th and what is the date today? It's March 10th and I still have received nothing and no word from the seller. However after posting my disappointment about this on the community forum I FINALLY got a response from eBay AI. I guess complaining on this portal is the only thing that gets its attention. Still, I have to wait another week before they will refund my money if they actually do. As I mentioned previously, I have been buying on eBay since it's very first inception and have spent thousands of dollars over the years. I used to enjoy using eBay but now it has been overrun with drop sellers that are ruining this platform. Might as well just buy from TEMU 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Regarding the seller'

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If you didn't receive your item, did you open an Item Not Received case?

Did you check the sellers feedback?

With 94%, that should tell you to stay away from that seller.

In
s low feedback rating, you are correct I should not have purchased from him.  I always check seller feedback and usually will not buy if a seller has less than 98% +. But it was an inexpensive item and this seller advertises he is located in CA and estimated time of arrival, since I also live in CA, was 4 days. I purchased another item from a different CA seller at the same time and it did arrive in 4 days. So, my point is this guy is a drop seller who doesn't even have the product in hand which is deceptive.  I was trying to avoid the long wait and hassles which often happens when buying directly from a Chinese seller.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You let this seller string you along, thats on you.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 10
latest reply