cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is becoming the best place for scam sellers

I have been buying on eBay for many years, but in the last 2 months alone I have lost over $200 due to fraudulent sellers. The last time the seller provided me with a tracking number for a package that was already on the way at the time of my order, and the fake package weighed 15 pounds less than my order. Of course, item never arrived,  Money back guarantee does not work, ebay resolved the dispute in favor of the seller 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@akella2016-1,

When you filed your Item Not Received (INR) dispute a computer looked for a Delivered scan and saw one. That's why the claim was found in favor of the seller.  However in the message you received telling you that there is an Appeal button.  When you file an appeal a real person looks at what you write and any photos/screen shots you upload. 

So all you have to do is write a message saying the tracking number had been issued however long before you made the purchase, and you can add the info about the package weight being much lighter than the item you purchased but it isn't necessary.  Then add a screen shot showing the tracking number and the date it was generated. A real person will review the appeal, and that info is enough for you to receive a refund.

In the future check the feedback profile page of any seller you intend to buy from. On that page click on the numbers of negatives and neutrals the seller has received, to read only those comments.  Several of your recent purchases were made from sellers whose feedback percentage was below 98.6% the cut off point for high volume sellers, used by many experienced buyers.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@akella2016-1,

When you filed your Item Not Received (INR) dispute a computer looked for a Delivered scan and saw one. That's why the claim was found in favor of the seller.  However in the message you received telling you that there is an Appeal button.  When you file an appeal a real person looks at what you write and any photos/screen shots you upload. 

So all you have to do is write a message saying the tracking number had been issued however long before you made the purchase, and you can add the info about the package weight being much lighter than the item you purchased but it isn't necessary.  Then add a screen shot showing the tracking number and the date it was generated. A real person will review the appeal, and that info is enough for you to receive a refund.

In the future check the feedback profile page of any seller you intend to buy from. On that page click on the numbers of negatives and neutrals the seller has received, to read only those comments.  Several of your recent purchases were made from sellers whose feedback percentage was below 98.6% the cut off point for high volume sellers, used by many experienced buyers.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@akella2016-1 

You have been given good advice from @mudshark61369 .   However, know that there is a chance that your appeal will be denied as well.  If that should happen, please come back here before proceeding further to get information about your next steps.  Good luck, and do let us know how it turns out for you. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It does work, you just have to know better than to open an item not received case. As soon as that tracking number shows it was delivered somewhere you will lose. If it was delivered elsewhere in your zip code you will have to prove it wasn't to you which will involve the USPS or UPS or whichever they used to ship. The same applies if it's outside the zip code, but the scammers usually want it to look good so they use your zip code.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

interesting that most sellers think Ebay promotes scanner buyers and every month usually a few pop up

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I filed an appeal and received a response from a living person. Now I need to fill out a declaration describing what happened. I'm in progress

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I tried to find out from UPS whether the address on the package matches my address and name. I didn't ask to tell me the delivery address, but just asked whether the address on the package matches my address, which I reported to UPS. The virtual assistant replied that they cannot provide information about the parcels.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@akella2016-1,

This is what I responded to in my first message;

"The last time the seller provided me with a tracking number for a package that was already on the way at the time of my order".

If that tracking number was uploaded to your Purchase history and Order details.  That is all you need to win an appeal, in this case.  If the seller sent you a message with the tracking number , ask the rep to review your messages.   You do not need any info from UPS in this case, because you already have the proof needed to win an appeal.  The tracking number was issued Before you made the purchase. 

In your reply to @kitschy*loot you wrote:

"I tried to find out from UPS whether the address on the package matches my address and name. I didn't ask to tell me the delivery address, but just asked whether the address on the package matches my address, which I reported to UPS. 

It is when there is tracking uploaded after you made a purchase,  showing Delivered somewhere in your zip code, but nothing arrived at your home,  that you need to get info from USPS, FedEx, UPS, saying the label's address was not yours.  That is not what you need when a seller gives you a tracking number issued before you even paid for an item.  That proof is in the tracking history. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Keep thorough records of your transactions, including order details, communication with the seller, tracking information, and any discrepancies you notice. This documentation can be valuable evidence if you need to file a dispute or claim.
If you've been unable to resolve the issue directly with the seller, consider filing a dispute or claim through eBay's resolution center. Be sure to provide detailed information and evidence to support your claim.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@woodrowmo-30 wrote:

Keep thorough records of your transactions, including order details, communication with the seller, tracking information, and any discrepancies you notice. This documentation can be valuable evidence if you need to file a dispute or claim.
If you've been unable to resolve the issue directly with the seller, consider filing a dispute or claim through eBay's resolution center. Be sure to provide detailed information and evidence to support your claim.

These responses are almost as good as eBay's AI descriptions, which is to say they're of questionable worth at best. None of the things you suggest to keep as 'evidence' is necessary to file a claim, and most will be ignored by eBay. And eBay hasn't had a 'resolution center' in years.

It's wonderful that you want to help posters. Giving them wrong or useless advice doesn't accomplish that.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

The best "guaranteed buyer protection" is to use a credit card,  most credit card companies will allow you to file a dispute if such a case arises. 

Ebay's buyer protection is basically a joke and a waste a time, if you waited for a dispute resolution conducted by Ebay taking longer than 30 days you run the risk of exceeding the time limit given by the credit card company.

Ebay is far more biased and will often side with the seller who sells at higher quantities generating more fee revenue for Ebay. Credit card companies generally would rather protect their customers.

It's all about money and who is on who's side, choose wisely who you seek help and recourse with.

---
Bolt with his head stuck"Turn and pull, just turn and pull, you'll be outta there in no time."
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Yeah! I'm really sorry about that it might be a great loss for you, I agree. As we know everyone aren't scammers because there are new generation coming to this platform to grow up themselves. Not only sellers some shipping services are horrible too but eBay is a good place for beginners to catch a place in business field

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

"Ebay is far more biased and will often side with the seller who sells at higher quantities generating more fee revenue for Ebay. Credit card companies generally would rather protect their customers."

I'd be interested in seeing a link for that, because its absolutely incorrect. As every seller knows, Ebay is buyer centric to the max.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I purchased from this snake   Seller :and they is running a scam where they sell cargo shorts for 19.99 a pair  and if you  ****   buy more than one pair ******  they ship only one pair and their picking ticket says 2 or 3 or 5 whatever you actually bought then as a guest you have no way to contact them I have tried all ebay support numbers but them point to the ebay.com/help which is totally useless as a guest purchaser.

This seller is hiding behind many slithery factors to get away with stealing money from their buyer they devised a way to steal on ebay and get away with it right under ebay's eyes ........ just because you show that you shipped a package (one pair) does not cover you for the 3 to 4 pair you never shipped / stole for your customer that they paid for.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@drummer991 

Guest purchases are also covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee. You can open a missing parts or pieces return by following the instructions found here. The process is completely automated; there's no need to contact eBay CS.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply