cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay backs up dishonest sellers

Why does eBay allow corrupt sellers with multiple negative feedbacks to stay on and screw buyers? I just had an order cancelled and seller claimed it was because I requested it. eBay doesn't make it easy to respond to this, you can't contact a human being, just blind alleys that lead nowhere. And they erased the item so I can't post feedback to warn others. So I guess they're as corrupt as the sellers they won't take action against. Twice in the past year, rotten sellers (with tons of bad feedback) doubled the shipping and ignored numerous requests to correct it. They finally closed the sale and eBay immediately calls me a Nonpaying Bidder. Why didn't they ask me what the circumstances were? Why don't they crack down on bad sellers like this? I guess as long as some money is trickling in, they're fine with crooks and liars. Buyers Beware!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: eBay backs up dishonest sellers

@sheeneyman2 

You can report the seller here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

eBay doesn't know everything that happens on this site.  You are making a whole lot of baseless assumptions.  Report it, stop buying from the people who overcharge, they will die eventually. 

we cannot protect you from you.  That's your job.  Think before you buy and complain when you should.

The only Beware I see here is of you.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hello,

Thank you for the info. I just spoke to a rep who is forwarding it to their "back office team." The most infuriating thing is that the seller lied, claiming I requested to cancel the order. I'll stack my nearly 10,000 transactions and 100% positive feedbacks against their low numbers and numerous negatives. Don't know why eBay doesn't enforce this bad behavior, must be too busy counting money.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

eBay does not use feedback to evaluate sellers; eBay looks at whether the seller ships on time, has more returns than competitors in the same category, or if the seller has cases where eBay has to get involved and provide a refund to buyers, and other similar measures of performance.

Feedback is for buyers to look at when deciding whether to do business with a seller or not. Sellers with "low numbers and numerous negatives" should be avoided. Not every seller with negatives is necessarily a crook or a liar. But do not rely on eBay to screen out such sellers -- each buyer should use individual judgement about whether a seller is reliable or experienced enough to get involved with.

If the listing was removed that likely means that eBay removed it for violating policy.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the, uh, wisdom. I'll note your name and be sure to avoid you.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Ebay doesn't give a seller many reasons to cancel a sale-and you probably reviewed the seller's feedback in advance to see if it is a habit.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't have any effect on your ebay social credit considering your long standing feedback ratings. 

I can understand from similar experience that trying to resolve this is like yelling into an empty bucket.  But it seems to me if you could get an ebay agent on the phone and explain they could quickly see you never made any messaging request to the seller to cancel and the agent should be able to undo the unfair unpaid rating.    My experience with the ebay agents has been very good, sometimes they need to ask for contextual details I don't need to know and I have to not lose patience.

Its great how the canceled transactions just get erased - instead of being available.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Why does eBay allow corrupt sellers with multiple negative feedbacks to stay on and screw buyers? 

They don't allow it, but it is a fact of online purchasing anywhesre.

Protect yourself,  do you check a seller feedback before purchasing - caveat emptor

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@sheeneyman2,

Using the link provided by @kensgiftshop  is about the only way to go.  When using the link you do not have to select a specific policy as the reason for the report. When you get to the page with the Text box check the Other button.  Then report the violation sticking to the facts Ex:  The listing said $X for shipping, but the seller increased the amount on the invoice.  I did not pay because of that, and received an unpaid item Strike which I would like removed.   The seller cancelled claiming I requested cancellation, I did not.  Check my messages.  

These days it is imperative that you check the feedback profile pages of any seller you consider buying from.  Click on the numbers of negative and neutral feedback the seller has received to read only those comments. You may have stopped selling on ebay but should know how to determine a seller's reliability, and not to go by feedback percentages alone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I appreciate it, very helpful!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply