cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contacting ebay on possible fraud

i won an auction for an iphone and paid for it in full---$596.75. the seller contacted me and said the phone was on it's way. when the phone did not arrive i opened a case with ebay. the seller contacted me right away and asked me to close the case and he would send an exact replacement right away. well, he didn't. i did not realize that i could not reopen the case. ebay considers the case closed and i have no way of contacting them to pursue the matter further. the seller says he sent the package first class with no insurance. the post office shows the package delivered, but i didn't get it. USPS did an investigation and determined that the seller had manipulated the tracking number in some way to get a delivery confirmation. USPS could not open a claim because the package was not insured. meanwhile i am out almost $600.

does anyone know of a way that i can talk to someone at ebay?

mahalo, gary

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can go online and dispute the charge with the credit card or debit card used. I suggest just doing the dispute and not really go into any details online...unless your bank ask for more information.

Case is closed with eBay as they mentioned. And seller is no longer registered on eBay.

Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Since you closed the case, there's nothing Ebay will do.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them or contact your payment source

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You can go online and dispute the charge with the credit card or debit card used. I suggest just doing the dispute and not really go into any details online...unless your bank ask for more information.

Case is closed with eBay as they mentioned. And seller is no longer registered on eBay.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@gjp4444 wrote:

i won an auction for an iphone and paid for it in full---$596.75. the seller contacted me and said the phone was on it's way. when the phone did not arrive i opened a case with ebay. the seller contacted me right away and asked me to close the case and he would send an exact replacement right away. well, he didn't. i did not realize that i could not reopen the case. ebay considers the case closed and i have no way of contacting them to pursue the matter further. the seller says he sent the package first class with no insurance. the post office shows the package delivered, but i didn't get it. USPS did an investigation and determined that the seller had manipulated the tracking number in some way to get a delivery confirmation. USPS could not open a claim because the package was not insured. meanwhile i am out almost $600.

does anyone know of a way that i can talk to someone at ebay?

mahalo, gary

You are done with ebay. If you poaid with PayPal you can try there

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

thank you. i will try that

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@gjp4444,

Unfortunately, you fell for two scams. The first was closing the dispute/case when asked to by the seller. They know that would cause you to lose your money back guarantee (MBG) protections.

"the post office shows the package delivered, but i didn't get it. USPS did an investigation and determined that the seller had manipulated the tracking number in some way to get a delivery confirmation. USPS could not open a claim because the package was not insured. meanwhile i am out almost $600".

This is the second scam, the seller used fake tracking. They sent something an envelope or small empty box to an address in your zip code.  If the tracking shows it was not delivered to your zip code, your case will be easier for you to win if you paid with PayPal.  eBay or your card provider would need more info for you to get a refund.  If you have not started a claim with your card provider, there is still one way left to contact ebay and get a refund.  Open the link below, when it has opened you will see a Go to Best Answer button on the top, click on it and read the instructions I wrote, on how to get the information you need to get a refund either from your card provider or ebay through their social media sites. The ebay reps on those sites know about the fake tracking scams and have the power to issue refunds.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Fake-Tracking-information/m-p/34266951#M475809

Aloha

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

mahalo for explaining the scam. i will follow your advise.  fingers crossed

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

That's awful-  big money.

I think I got scammed too- Only for 13 bucks. This is twice lately.

Fed-x shows delivered at my door- and nothing.  It all looked wrong... we'll see. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

good luck to us both

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@gjp4444,

Eh bra,

You follow da directions I gave you. Get a letter,  go the social media route and  you will get a refund. One thing I forgot to write yesterday, is when messaging a rep, tell them you only closed the original dispute because the seller asked you to do that, ask them to check the messages between you and the seller.  

Mahalo fo da Mahalos.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

i'm on it, mahalo

Message 11 of 11
latest reply