cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combined shipping on two separate auctions

I won two laptops about 2 hours apart.

I paid for the first one not expecting to win the second one.

I won the second one too.

How would the seller go about combing the shipping cost?

This is assuming he want to put both laptops into the same box.

Can the seller do this or is it too late?

I haven't paid for the second laptop yet.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: combined shipping on two separate auctions

@broadwaynyc wrote:

Ask your seller if it can safely pack both laptops together, and offer a combined shipping discount with an adjusted invoice for the second laptop. 

If so, it can click the checkboxes next to the laptops, to ship them together.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@otow_18 wrote:

@broadwaynyc wrote:

Ask your seller if it can safely pack both laptops together, and offer a combined shipping discount with an adjusted invoice for the second laptop. 

If so, it can click the checkboxes next to the laptops, to ship them together.

Thanks.

I did ask the seller about combined shipping discount.

I'll wait to see what they say.

Since I am not a seller anymore and never had the opportunity to do so, I wasn't sure if it is possible to this.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Be sure to watch your timeline while waiting for the seller to respond. After four days have elapsed since the wins the seller can cancel the purchases for nonpayment, which will give you two strikes. A large percentage of sellers block buyers with two or more strikes, so you want to avoid that at all costs.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

Be sure to watch your timeline while waiting for the seller to respond. After four days have elapsed since the wins the seller can cancel the purchases for nonpayment, which will give you two strikes. A large percentage of sellers block buyers with two or more strikes, so you want to avoid that at all costs.

Thank you. eBay is telling me I have until May 7 to pay.

I am hoping the seller responds tomorrow.

If I am going to pay 2x for shipping, I want the seller to ship the items in two separate boxes.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

From an occasional seller perspective,  what you are asking for would have been easy to do if you had not already paid for one of them.   After you pay for one, then ask, it is a nightmare to try to figure out how to reflect the combining on the remaining item.   

But wait, there's more-

The last time I had a combine request was fortunately before the buyer had paid for either item, no problem I thought.     Both were to ship USPS.   

To my surprise thanks to the new postage rates and size rules- combining would have cost us more!    That just seemed so unreal to me I actually went and talked to a live person at the post office.   

She smiled and told me size matters.

So I did ship in two separate boxes even though it seemed dumb- it was cheaper.   If your over a cubic foot now you get nailed pretty hard.   

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@broadwaynyc,

Since you have not paid for the second laptop yet the seller may not be able to change the shipping cost shown, but there is still a place that they can put in a discount on the laptop yet to be paid for, which will bring down the price, If they can be combined for less.  As others have written, dimensional weight shipping for a box big enough for the two could cost more than the two separate costs. 

In the future if you plan on bidding on multiple items from a seller it is always best to inform them in advance especially if the items end on different days. They can turn off the 4 day auto cancel, and it gives them more time to find out if a box of the right size can be found, and to get the shipping cost calculated.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@noodlevette wrote:

From an occasional seller perspective,  what you are asking for would have been easy to do if you had not already paid for one of them.   After you pay for one, then ask, it is a nightmare to try to figure out how to reflect the combining on the remaining item.   

But wait, there's more-

The last time I had a combine request was fortunately before the buyer had paid for either item, no problem I thought.     Both were to ship USPS.   

To my surprise thanks to the new postage rates and size rules- combining would have cost us more!    That just seemed so unreal to me I actually went and talked to a live person at the post office.   

So I did ship in two separate boxes even though it seemed dumb- it was cheaper.   If your over a cubic foot now you get nailed pretty hard.   

He's already charging $6 more for shipping one used laptop than a 18" x 15" x 6" box weighing 10 pounds should theoretically cost.

He's charging $18.90 and the cost is $12.92   I used a zip code from his location mentioned in the auction

If I increase the box size to 18" x 15" x 12" weighing 20 pounds, the cost jumps to $19.84

I know that he can fit both laptops into that size box with plenty of padding necessary and these laptops do not weigh 20 pounds combined.

I use PirateShip.com to estimate the cost.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@broadwaynyc,

Since you have not paid for the second laptop yet the seller may not be able to change the shipping cost shown, but there is still a place that they can put in a discount on the laptop yet to be paid for, which will bring down the price, If they can be combined for less.  As others have written, dimensional weight shipping for a box big enough for the two could cost more than the two separate costs. 

In the future if you plan on bidding on multiple items from a seller it is always best to inform them in advance especially if the items end on different days. They can turn off the 4 day auto cancel, and it gives them more time to find out if a box of the right size can be found, and to get the shipping cost calculated.

I never expected to win the 2nd laptop. People 99.9% of the time swoop in and grab it.

And the ending times were 2 hours apart. Not days.

I am hoping they will answer today.

Theoretically, eBay is estimating that I would get the paid for laptop by Friday and he has not shipped yet.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@broadwaynyc wrote:

@noodlevette wrote:

But wait, there's more-

He's already charging $6 more for shipping one used laptop than a 18" x 15" x 6" box weighing 10 pounds should theoretically cost.

It's called Shipping and Handling for a reason.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@broadwaynyc wrote:

@noodlevette wrote:

But wait, there's more-

ha ha ha

yeah,

handling = pad the profit

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The seller did not respond to my message about combined shipping discount, but

did use the eBay system to send me an invoice. 🙄

The box with the first laptop is in the hands of shipping company.

I will be paying for the second laptop.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@broadwaynyc wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@broadwaynyc wrote:

@noodlevette wrote:

But wait, there's more-

ha ha ha

yeah,

handling = pad the profit

It. Doesn't. Matter. Sellers are allowed to charge a handling fee. Do you honestly think postage is the only cost involved in shipping? If you want to object to a shipping charge, you do it by not hitting the bid or buy button. If you do go ahead and buy, you pay the shipping you agreed to without all the whining about it.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Or it's called pay for your box and packing material... but you do you...   BTW did the listings not state the shipping charges?   Usually, it's required...  you know... to put that information in... to be able to list an item....  When you buy something (or bid on something) you accept the shipping charges as they are listed in the listing.  Those fees aren't hidden, they are right there in plain sight.  I encourage you to pay attention to listings BEFORE you bid.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@stacy_1971 wrote:

Or it's called pay for your box and packing material... but you do you...   BTW did the listings not state the shipping charges?   Usually, it's required...  you know... to put that information in... to be able to list an item....  When you buy something (or bid on something) you accept the shipping charges as they are listed in the listing.  Those fees aren't hidden, they are right there in plain sight.  I encourage you to pay attention to listings BEFORE you bid.

Oh, please. Lighten up.

I understand perfectly what the shipping cost was.

He didn't want to offer a discounted combined shipping.

And the reason for that is for increased profits. He's not in this business for his health. LOL.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply