cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Ebay charging sales tax on the shipping cost?????

Why is Ebay charging sales tax on the shipping cost????? I thought we were only taxed on the product itself. 

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Re: Why is Ebay charging sales tax on the shipping cost?????

@hundredpercent2002 wrote:

"Anticipate sales tax, and bid that much lower"  Sadly, this puts the loss on the Seller, who may raise starting bids, or simply stop selling items on eBay.   I don't like eBay being a national bank for state tax collectors.   I don't like shopping locally because of the lack of selection/traffic/price.  I do like eBay, and hope that some middle ground can be worked out. 

er, un, ah.... Everyone that sells retail and is required to charge a sales tax is a "national bank for tax collectors" or essentially a branch of the state tax collection agency.  Retailer charges you for the goods & services and charges and collects the tax!  Then the retailer has to transfer those collected funds to the state tax authority!

This is what people don't understand about businesses.  They think they are charging too much but don't understand all of the back office expenses.  Gotta pay someone to track sales & sales tax, make sure it is properly remitted to the state with all of the "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed and then respond timely when some genius in the State can't understand what is filed or what it means.  Heaven help you if you make a mistake! Then of course you double that if the locality (city, borough, township, etc) adds their percent on the  tax!  Oh and all of those people working for you require you to collect and pay SS taxes, unemployment taxes, etc.  For a small business 50%  of expended effort could be in collecting, distribution and accounting for various taxes and other regulatory issues. 

OK, stepping down off my soapbox!

Message 46 of 79
latest reply

Yeah right, and if you really believe all that nonsense about where the money is going,  I hear there's a bridge for sale on ebay--- in Nevada, over a prehistoric river that's been dry for about 5 million years.... but hey  with global warming, all those ice packs in the Sierras could melt and cause the river to be reborn......'course you WILL have to pay sales tax on the bridge, and its delivery!

Message 47 of 79
latest reply

@bigkaunabill wrote:

Yeah right, and if you really believe all that nonsense about where the money is going,  I hear there's a bridge for sale on ebay--- in Nevada, over a prehistoric river that's been dry for about 5 million years.... but hey  with global warming, all those ice packs in the Sierras could melt and cause the river to be reborn......'course you WILL have to pay sales tax on the bridge, and its delivery!

If you think that your state representatives are not spending your tax dollars wisely, let them know your opinion and your displeasure come the next election.  

Is that the London Bridge that you're talking about?  I can imagine the shipping cost involved getting that here from the UK!  😉

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 48 of 79
latest reply

But everything i buy at Walmart is new .. not used auto parts
Message 49 of 79
latest reply

@hemihead9 

If someone told you that only new items can be taxed, they were steering your wrong.

Ever been to a thrift store? Antique store? They collect sales taxes on items that are used.

Message 50 of 79
latest reply

@hemihead9 wrote:

Whether or not an item is new or used is irrelevant.  If the state deems it taxable, it is.  One would need to contact their state representative and attempt to persuade them to exempt used items from sales/use tax.  Frankly, while I'm sure that many antique collectors and those that like to visit second hand stores would love it, I have serious doubts if you could convince your legislature to agree.  However, good luck to you if you decide to try.  

Message 51 of 79
latest reply

What’s next ? Eye use tax ... for looking at the auctions 

Message 52 of 79
latest reply

Yeah, but not other retailer anywhere charges tax on shipping.
Message 53 of 79
latest reply

No... That's not true, silly.  The person is asking specifically about taxes being levied on shipping charges, not the actual product price.  No other retailer anywhere is charging tax on the shipping fees they charge their customers.

Message 54 of 79
latest reply

Really?  Then why doesn't the USPS charge that fee when you go to their counter?

Message 55 of 79
latest reply

I don't consider it "cheating", I consider it governmental over-reach (again).  This is why now I am beginning to use Facebook Marketplace, CraigsList, and garage sales for all of my used purchases.  I have almost made it a crusade to avoid paying any kind of tax, if I can help it.  In fact, because of my "this is the last straw" mentality, I actually pay less taxes than I ever have.  Do your research, and I'll guarantee you there are a gazillion ways to avoid or recoup much of the taxes you pay.

Message 56 of 79
latest reply

Hey, don't give them any ideas!

Message 57 of 79
latest reply

Fortunately I don’t live in a state that charges sales tax on shipping. If your state does (you can check that at your state DOR site) then the other places you buy that don’t are breaking the law.

Message 58 of 79
latest reply

@ukfan4sure! wrote:

I don't consider it "cheating", I consider it governmental over-reach (again).  This is why now I am beginning to use Facebook Marketplace, CraigsList, and garage sales for all of my used purchases.  I have almost made it a crusade to avoid paying any kind of tax, if I can help it.  In fact, because of my "this is the last straw" mentality, I actually pay less taxes than I ever have.  Do your research, and I'll guarantee you there are a gazillion ways to avoid or recoup much of the taxes you pay.

I don't believe it matters that you don't consider it cheating.  Al Capone probably didn't consider income tax evasion cheating either.  That didn't end well for him.

You might want to check your state's tax laws.  They will probably stipulate that you are required to pay use tax on purchases made from the sources you mentioned.  Failure to pay it would probably fall under the heading of tax evasion.

Message 59 of 79
latest reply

@ukfan4sure! wrote:

Well, let us hope that your local fire dept., police dept., school teachers, dept. of roads and sanitation, and etc., DON"T make it a crusade to avoid providing you with their services.

Message 60 of 79
latest reply