cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the PayPal payment option go?

I just tried to make an eBay purchase and no longer see the PayPal payment option for the first time ever.

Is this a seller specific setting because so far no item seems to be payable by PayPal yet the eBay help pages still say you can pay by PayPal?

Did my eBay and PayPal account get unlinked or something?

Thank you

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Where did the PayPal payment option go?

I'm wondering the same thing. I went to purchase an item and it shows no PayPal option. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

me too. I'm hoping it's a glitch and not a new policy,

but I don't see a PayPal payment logo for payments

in any of my own listings -- though I do see GPay

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Same here. I just purchased an item yesterday & PayPal was still an option. Now it is a credit card or Google Pay only. I have a few Ebay Bucks to use so it will be my last purchase on Ebay until they bring PayPal option back. I've always tried to support my fellow Ebay sellers, especially smaller ones, by purchasing on the site. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I don't see the PayPal logo on any listings anywhere, not even the Sold item that I paid for with PayPal today at 5:50 PM (Eastern time).  So is this a glitch, or unannounced new policy??

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

You would think if they were going to completely abandon paypal as a payment method they would put out a notice first so I'm hoping this is a temporary issue that will be resolved quickly.   I have NO desire to put my credit card out there as a buyer to a bunch of anonymous sellers.   I've never sold on Ebay, I'm just a large purchaser, so I don't know what sellers see but I can promise it won't be my credit card number lol. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

jasmen@ebay 

It seems a lot of us are having this same issue. I just went through checkout with no Paypal option. Can you please confirm this is a known glitch?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@ccrrefills  @382479  @dogofwar777 

Same question here! I swear the Paypal option was there a couple days ago. It's gone missing today (April 19).

Here's some rough history:

I joined back in 1997 when you could pay with a credit card or check. Then eBay signed up with Paypal. Paypal continued to take your credit card, but put a "paying limit" ($2000 or so) on your account. After you hit that they claimed that to be a "verified user" you had to give them a direct link to your bank account. [Of course, this was a fig leaf for Paypal getting the 3% rather than your credit card company.]

Paypal backed by a bank account or CC was the dominant mode of payment until Adyen (or whatever it is now) came in,  with Adyen still maintaining a Paypal option.  For most buyers (who don't maintain a positive Paypal balance) Paypal  became just an electronic node between Adyen/eBay and the buyer's bank account or CC. 

As a result, Paypal is now largely redundant on eBay and is (apparently) gone as an Adyen option. We are back to the good old credit card. I wonder how long this will last, and how Adyen, eBay, and the CC companies are divvying up the 3% fee. 

One thing is for sure: you will never get a straight answer from eBay.

Mike

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Just got off the phone with ebay (us older people don't mind calling to find out lol)  and they said they are aware of the problem and tech support will be working to fix it.  Paypal has not been deleted according to the guy I spoke with, it's just a glitch so we should all try back within 24 hours.    

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@manchacofficerepair 

Good news, though it's kind of a big glitch to go without some kind of notice to buyers.

Mike

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ccrrefills  @manchacofficerepair  @argy_eyes  @kathiec @redmodelt  

There is a current system outage that eBay is working on.  

https://www.ebay.com/sts   Click on the "i" next to buying.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

https://www.paypal-status.com/incident/production

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Today's problem was between the Ebay / PayPal link.  The problem has now been resolved, so everything should be functioning normally for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@manchacofficerepair wrote:

I have NO desire to put my credit card out there as a buyer to a bunch of anonymous sellers.   I've never sold on Ebay, I'm just a large purchaser, so I don't know what sellers see but I can promise it won't be my credit card number lol. 

There is absolutely no way for a seller to ever see your credit card number even when they are paid by credit card. We can't even see the buyer's email address, it's all extremely private.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply