cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the HECK is going on with eBay's Search function?!?!?!

I am typing in searches for items that I KNOW exist, even in my own store, and yet search results come up as Zero.  I noted that for some reason the searches are defaulting within a radius of 25 miles from the buyer/seller's zip code and I cannot get it to stop doing this.  I am guessing this has been the reason for supper slow sales in my store lately because the search function is not working properly period.  I even had friends attempt to search for items that are in my store by putting the description in the searches and they got zero results as well.   You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than trying to get ahold of anyone at eBay.  Good luck with that.   Has anyone else seen a drop in sales in the last few weeks?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: What the HECK is going on with eBay's Search function?!?!?!

Ebays search is a joke

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes...I've also noticed some weird stuff going on with search.... My sales are super slow...worst it's been since the first year I started! I don't think it has anything to do with search... I think the economy is taking a nose dive!

Joshua Trenge
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@4yourconsideration,

Over the last week, there have been several posts about searches coming up with (0) results.  A couple of those were because of poorly written search titles, that were overly general, but the rest should have returned results.

I tried a search yesterday and had the same issue, but a wording change solved it.  Still the search as I wrote it had always worked before.  Did you copy and paste your item title to the search? and what filter do you use in searches?  Best match or one of the Time: or Price: filters?  

"I noted that for some reason the searches are defaulting within a radius of 25 miles from the buyer's zip".

Look at the screen shot below.  Default is all listings from sellers shipping to the U.S.. The circle before Within has to be checked in order to set a distance from  (zip code).  The following 3 options would have to be checked in order to apply the filter.

mudshark61369_0-1675513510689.png

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It's gotten really bad, some keywords and dates will show 0 items in results. Store search is also really horrible. I called 10 days ago and NOTHING has been done. Another seller said she noticed it last year and called and it's also gotten worse. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Same thing for me ~ I can search for "rug" or "carpet" and get no results in my store, when I have 60+ items with those words in the title. Recently the search bar was missing from sellers "Other Items" sections (sellers who do not pay for stores) and I complained about that ~ then that search bar re-appeared. Now my search bars in the stores I pay for do not function. I imagine Ebay knows about this and is fixing it, but I haven' t called yet. I have dozens of items listed under furniture or table or many words which yield zero results.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If a search that has worked well previously suddenly starts behaving badly, often the problem has something to do with a faulty keyword substitution or an inappropriate automatic category navigation issue.

You can bypass many of these sorts of search issues by putting one of your keywords in quotes. This forces eBay to bypass the "smart" features and to search for the literal keywords without any substitution or category switching. You may have to manually specify your category once again.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello,

I am having the same issue. I will look for an item in my store and it will not pop up. I'm worried about how many sales we have lost due to this.

K. Fox

Message 8 of 8
latest reply