cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost My Case - Item Did Not Arrive, do not trust eBay & PayPal

I have been an eBay buyer for many years and had  been very trusting on them. But here is my experience from the past two weeks which disappointed me greatly. 

I purchased a Sony lens on eBay and paid 749 dollars with PayPal. The seller did not send out the item for a whole week. Till the day before the last delivery day, he updated a USPS tracking number which showed that the package was delivered. There was no package delivered to at all. I realized it could be a scam. I went to post office to check the tracking number and obtained the tracking report which clearly showed that this tracking number was for a 6 oz first class mail sent to somebody else with the same zip code. The seller basically stoled somebody else's tracking number and used it in my order. The lens weighs more than a pound and cannot be a 6 oz first class mail. And the package was not sent to my address at all.

I went back on eBay and opened a case. I provided the tracking report from USPS and highlighted that the package was too light to be a lens and was not sent to me.

Until now I still had faith on eBay, and believed I had provided very clear evidence to win my case. Shocking!! 3 days later eBay came back to me and failed my case. At the same time eBay support sent me a email to let me know the result. I replied to this email and questioned: why is my case lost? I also explained the package was not sent to my address and attached the tracking report from USPS. The support only suggested me to contact the seller about this issue or to contact the carrier to see if they lost the package. Obviously nobody actually read my message or the evidence I had provided.

I sent a couple emails later to emphasize my issue and the evidence and finally got different answers "After a thorough investigation I was able to check the tracking information, and I was able to verify that the packaged was delivered in SAINT PETERSBURG, FL 33710 last January 23, 2023. However, it does not stated the exact location. Please note that we don't have the item in possession or direct contact with your carrier...please understand that we no physical interaction with the items as an online platform. The claim was already closed as the tracking shows delivered to an address that matches your zip code or postal code address..." 

Well long emails always but no useful information. Basically the answer from eBay is despite the tracking report from USPS showed that the package was sent to different address, in their system, the tracking showed it is delivered to my zip code(not my address). So they cannot do anything about it!!!! And from now on, I have not be able to get any reply from them.

I encountered a similar scam before on eBay. I provided tracking report and won the case. That made me fell like eBay is fair and trustable. But now I fell like eBay is part of the scam. They allow the seller to fulfill an order with a stolen tracking number without checking if it is the right package to the right shipping address. They will not check the tracking details or even won't review the evidence if you provide any. eBay is not a safe place to shop!!!

I have decided to delete my eBay account and will not buy anything on eBay anymore. I share my experience with you and hopefully you learned some lessons from it.

Because I used PayPal for this payment, I also opened a case and provided the same explanation and evidence in the case. PayPal and eBay are a family but I was still hoping PayPal will do the right thing. But 3 days later, PayPal failed my case again. Here is the reason they used to fail me: The case was closed in the seller’s favor as you received the item or service from the seller.

Yes, even I had provided explanation and evidence to show the tracking was not for my address.

It is very disappointing and frustrating during this process and with this result. It is not just for the money. It is more about trust, fairness and justice. I know I will not be able to get my money back. So please, if you are reading this post, be careful and cautious when you try to buy things on eBay.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You're a victim of the fake tracking scam. Since eBay cases are largely decided by bots, all they look at is whether tracking shows delivered. Fortunately you already have all the information you need to escalate this to a human. You need to do this on eBay's Facebook account, www.facebook.com/eBayforBusiness. Send them a private message with the information you've submitted here. The reps there are well-acquainted with this scam and should be able to help you.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a try and update later.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I couldn't  get through all that wall of next.

I do know if you opened a not received case it does not matter if you write in the case why you didn't receive it. The case will automatically close because tracking shows delivered.  Automatically closing means nobody read your notes.

Next correct step was to get the Post office to write on USPS stationary  that the tracking number xxxxx was not to your address, that it was addressed to  and delivered to xxxxx address, and the writer has to sign the letter.  Then you contact eBay on Facebook eBay for Business or Twitter and have them call you. You'll need to fax that letter to them.  Trying to appeal by hitting an appeal button will not be successful if your proof is info in the tracking. Proof has to be USPS specifically putting it in writing by their hand the label was not addressed to xxxxxx your street address. 

There's no chance for do overs.

If you paid by PayPal and file a case there they might automatically close the case because tracking shows delivered. I don't know to file an appeal on PayPal.  They no longer have a number to call, just email. 

If you paid with a credit card file a chargeback.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

PS- I think eBay also wants you to file a police report to go along with USPS letter.  Too late I guess unless you can still appeal on PayPal. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

WOW, I'm really sorry this happened to you.   I'm over in the Glenwood subdivision, same zip, and I've had my share of ebay delivery issues, but it's always been with the competency of our Crossroads PO.   Follow kathiec's advice.  A couple years back I had a similar incident where my item was misdelivered in 33710, honest seller, bad mail carrier.   When it gets to this stage, you definitely need an ebay human involved. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I would do two additional things besides what Kathiec has suggested....file a police report with your local police or sheriff's office.   It looks like you have plenty of proof that the item was not shipped to you...wrong address, yet to the correct zip code.  Immediately contact the bank or agency that your credit card is issued through and file a dispute with the bank/credit card for the charge...noting a law enforcement report will be include with your claim.   Turn over all your evidence and be sure to include you law enforcement report...you will probably have to sign an affidavit to the fact that you did not get the item your ordered.

Good luck👍😎

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I paid with PayPal and had opened a case with it but also failed because they also only look at the tracking information with zip code not my explanation and evidence. 🙁

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

This time it was a bad seller and eBay would not stand by my side. It is very disappointing.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Filed a case with eBay and PayPal, both failed. The same reason, tracking showed package delivered to the same zip code. Nobody review the evidence I provided. Sad.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

On that one image, why does it show May 15th?

Is that how long the tracking is avaliable?

Have a great day.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

That is not the date related to this case. You can see the details on the page.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

You needed a letter from the USPS stating that the package was indeed delivered, but not to your address.  

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Again, I would suggest that you contact your local law enforcement office and file a report and in addition, sign an affidavit to the fact that you did not get the item you ordered...attach it to the report.  An officer might talk with the residents and who knows (if this is not a fake tracking scam), you might get the $750 lens you ordered.  If you still don't get the lens, then I would suggest that you resubmit your claim to Paypal with your new added documents.

Good luck😎     

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@50amp wrote:

@zen.regi wrote:

The lens weighs more than a pound and cannot be a 6 oz first class mail. And the package was not sent to my address at all. 

Again, I would suggest that you contact your local law enforcement office and file a report

An officer might talk with the residents and who knows (if this is not a fake tracking scam), you might get the $750 lens you ordered. 

Wondering did you read the OP? The residents got a 6-ounce package, too light to be the $750 lens.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply