cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! Chinese seller scams

WARNING! I was the victim of a recent scam. Ordered item for $80 from Chinese seller that had decent feedback. Item was shipped SpeedPAK. Item shows delivered by Post Office to my zip code. I never received the item. Went to Post Office. They can not help with the OrangeConnex tracking supplied by seller. I left negative feedback. Then there were about 5 new negative feedbacks left. As buyers open cases, Ebay removes negative feedback. The seller removed all items from their store. I disputed and opened case. Of course Ebay closes case in favor of seller since tracking shows delivered to my zip code. My negative feedback and others are now missing allowing seller to continue the cycle. Here's what I believe how the scam works. Seller ships different, less expensive item to different address within same zip code. Item shows delivered to zip code. Buyer never receives item. Ebay removes negative feedback associated with dispute cases. To top it all off, the seller removed all items from their store. Shame on Ebay for protecting these scammers! They should be able to see all the recent negative feedback that was published and then removed. They should also see that seller removed all items from store. I buy a lot on Ebay but will NEVER buy anything from China again! 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: WARNING! Chinese seller scams

Shows delivered and you are out your money:

That is how this scam works.

Of course you have no way to contact shipper to get them to say not delivered to your address.

Buyer Beware :

And from china and not expecting a problem?????

Do not order stuff from china unless you can afford to lose the money spent on it.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

"Do not order stuff from china unless you can afford to lose the money spent on it"

Yes, learned my lesson. What really irritates me is Ebay suppresses the negative feedback! Seriously, there was only 1 negative feedback in past 6 months when I made my purchase. I would go back and review my purchase and the seller. Then new negative feedback for item not received started to appear and then disappear daily, mine included. I would say about 5 recent negative feedback appeared and then disappeared. It took Ebay over 1 week to close the case. I started to think that maybe an actual human was reviewing the case. The seller removed all items from their store. You would think these things (items removed and multiple recent negative feedback) are Red Flags for Ebay to think....maybe just maybe...there is a problem with the seller? I was hopeful I had a shot at winning the dispute but greedy Ebay just goes back to their old ways. It's a shame what Ebay has become. I started buying and selling on Ebay around 2005.

I will be contacting Ebay's Executive Team:

Jamie Iannone - CEO

Marie Oh Huber - SVP Legal

Stefanie Jay - SVP Business

Jay Lee - SVP International

Jordan Sweetnam - SVP N.A. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I find that the US side of this shipping option, OrangeConnex, is a worthless and unreachable outfit that relabels your purchases at whatever regional location you are near.  They could easily put the wrong label on a package and while there is a phone #, they NEVER answer the phone and their voice mailbox is full.

My recent packages sat in (probably) LA for 4 days after arriving in the US, then sat in the regional OrangeConnex location for another few days.

This SpeedPak/OrangeConnex thing is a good deal for ebay and nobody else and has been forced on the Asian sellers.  This is the scam.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Was the package delivered and received or was it just marked as delivered

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Yes my friend. There is a series of scams going on on e-bay all perpetrated by Chinese sellers of computer parts & electronics. these scams are widespread with I'll say a probability in the 50th percentile that you will meet them Thile browsing for computer parts. I've been scammed multiple times (about $500 usd total) in the past year by these type of sellers.

Common behavior and bad telltale signs:

1-) Seller sends automated e-mail asking you to confirm your address, thats a sure sign that the shipping will show as delivered but to the wrong address.

2-) Seller sends an automated e-mail explaining you with a bogus story that a-) the shipping will be more expensive if sent in the original box, or b-) that the original box is not suitable for shipping, e.g. will not protect the item while in transit (ludicrous really, manufacturers research these things)

3-) Seller contacts you with an issue with the transaction, and asks to solve it outside e-bay's system. usually telling you he will send you a PayPal invoice that you must pay to solve the shipping issue. This is classic Nigerian Scam type thing.

4-) Seller has a US based address on e-bay store page but the business name is obviously Chinese and this business is registered in mainland china or Hong Kong.

If you see anything like this I guarantee you will not receive the item. or in my case I received one of the items listed as open item - brand new, but the motherboard had signs of heavy use, rust, black soot/dust everywhere bent capacitors and the like.

E-BAY DOES NOTHING TO PENALIZE THESE SELLERS. I GUESS SINCE NOW THEY ARE WHOLY OWN BY CHINESE INTERESTS

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Well, this bit isn't true:

I GUESS SINCE NOW THEY ARE WHOLY OWN BY CHINESE INTERESTS

Even if Wenig sometimes acted like it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

You can open the case on PayPal if amount paid via PayPal. This time ask for delivery proof.

Alternatively you can open a case on ebay - item not as described  and want to refund the item.

It will surely get your money back. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

One of the Chinese sellers just agreed to sell me an iPhone 12 for $800 but he wants to send me an invoice via Paypal and after I told him that I have no issue with paying via Paypal but I do not want to make any deal outside of Paypal because I was scammed before, he immediately stops responding to my emails so I am not sure if I need to report him to the eBay or how to do that either.  Below is the email I received from him earlier today asking me to tell him my Paypal account info.

"Please tell me your PAY PA L account.  
You can write to me!
I can send the invoice.
All the information of the mobile phone is attached to the invoice.
Or please send a screenshot of the account email address.
After receiving the payment, I will send the phone as soon as possible.
Tell you the tracking number. "

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You should have a very big problem paying through a PayPal invoice. That means it's not paid through eBay checkout, instead it's a money request invoice and payment is sent directly to the seller via friends and family, and if the seller doesn't  send the phone eBay nor PayPal will let you open a dispute.  You can't take back payments sent that way.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

For a refund you try eBay first, PayPal if you lose on eBay, and a chargeback on your credit card if you lose on PayPal.

What if it was delivered and it was stolen after it was left?  You need something in writing from the PO stating the the delivery address for tracking number xxxxx'x was not your address.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Too risky to buy from Chinese seller.  I bought an item that did not fit.  The seller misrepresented that the item would fit my new model year car and it did not.   The item came from a US address.

When I contacted for a return, he gave me a jibberish address in China.  On second contact he gave me a clearer address.   The item cost $37 and weighed 1 oz.   It cost $17 to ship back to China!

After 2 weeks Ebay denied the refund.  Now I am out $54.

No more buying from any Chinese seller.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Old thread, you can post your question on the buying board and you may get some help.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

no it won't.  they have delivery "proof", they send an empty package to same zip code and give PayPal or ebay the tracking number which shows delivered and paypal accepts that.  USPS tracking does not show the exact delivery address and even if you go to the post office personally they will not give you the address matching the tracking number so you have no documentation to show paypal

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@espadagt wrote:

USPS tracking does not show the exact delivery address and even if you go to the post office personally they will not give you the address matching the tracking number so you have no documentation to show paypal

Yes, USPS has all the private details that the 

Seller

Sent

Somebody

Something

Somewhere

but that tracking number was addressed to that recipient, which is not you. And they don't want to violate federal privacy laws and go to jail by divulging those details to you.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply