cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady seller

So I was looking at a couple golf balls. Seller stated that he would throw in one of the ones I was looking at if I made an offer on something else. So I did and he accepted. The shipment arrived today - but with only one ball - the one that I made the offer on. I asked him where the other one was. He said, "what other ball." I told him to re-read the messages. He came back and said that I waited too long to pay (wrong) and that the freebie sold. Then I said that this was on him and that he should have unlisted the other one. Now he's telling me to not be so cheap and calling me vulgar names.  This is.... you know what and a terrible way to do business. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Shady seller

@usgrant18642008,

I take it these were individual golf balls, since they usually come in sleeves of three.  How much time lapsed between the time the seller offered you the free ball,  you made the offer and it was accepted, then paid for?  Maybe, they sold out of the one you wanted during the time it took for that to happen.  Still there is no excuse for the seller being rude.  I'd leave appropriate feedback but keep it professional without any name calling. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

Yes. He sells individual balls.

But as soon as I made the offer on the one, which he accepted, he should have unlisted the other one. 

I can't remember how quickly I paid, but it wasn't that long. And it shouldn't matter anyway.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

Seller stated that he would throw in one of the ones I was looking at if I made an offer on something else.

@usgrant18642008 

In hindsight, it would have been better to have offered on the one you wanted, I suppose. Bummer...

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

Hi,

I had my eyes on 2 different balls - the freebie was one that I wanted for someone else. The one I "officially" made an offer on was the one he accepted and that I paid for. 

I'm returning this item and will report this to Ebay. He didn't fulfill what he promised. I have it all in my messages.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

You should have made an offer on BOTH items.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

Reporting him to ebay will result in nothing.  If you wanted that other ball, you should have made an offer on it too.  If you are not happy with that ball and open an not described case and return if the seller promised you the ball and did not put it in the box.  

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

If the "free" item was not mentioned in the listing that you actually purchased, you have no grounds to report.  eBay goes by what is in the listing, not empty promises in messages.  
Unfortunately yes you ran into a shady seller that is familiar with the bait and switch method of selling.  Not right, not ethical, but there's really nothing you can do at this point.  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

He accepted my return request. 

And he's a complete "you know what."

The messages should be all the proof I need, because the free offer is the reason why I sent him an offer on the item when I did. 

Frankly, I was probably going to buy both, but he made the offer first. Why would I turn that down?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

You state 'you don't remember' how much after the 'offer' was accepted before you paid- are you talking 2 hours, 2 days, a week??

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

No. His word (written too) should have been all I needed. This is all on him for being deceitful.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

I was probably going to buy both balls.

But then he contacted me about throwing in one of them. And said I just needed to make an offer on the other one. Why would I turn that down? I never even asked for any special favors. The guy is just a con artist and a jerk. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

I paid 6 minutes after he sent me the message. I looked it up.

I had to wait for an invoice after I made a "best offer."

Even if it were 3 hours, he never said anything about a deadline. He also said nothing about the 2nd ball being  sold to someone else at any time. 

Completely shady stuff.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

You state 'you don't remember' how much after the 'offer' was accepted before you paid- are you talking 2 hours, 2 days, a week??

OP @stainlessenginecovers said it was 6 minutes.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Shady seller

6 minutes after he sent 'what?' message. Did you make an 'official' offer and that's the 'message' you received was the seller accepting that offer? 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply