cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller mistake so I agreed to cancel

I was watching an item and I received an offer from the seller. The item was over $200.00 and the offer was just  $2.00. Of course I accepted asap just in case it wasnt a mistake and somebody was being heck of generous. I messaged seller and pointed out the possible error .

I said Im fine w cancelling if it is in fact a mistake. 

Didn't hear back from seller but received item cancelled notice. Reason it was cancelled? An error with the buyers address ( my address ) 

Is this “error “going to affect me in any way? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller mistake so I agreed to cancel

No, one seller claiming your address didn't work isn't a big problem.

What IS a big problem is you misread the eBay message when you were contacted. eBay was suggesting TWO DOLLARS which the seller might accept a price that was two dollars less than the price they listed, NOT an encouragement to offer two dollars as your bid.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@yooner-ama   No your account is not impacted by this.  Whenever you ask a Seller to cancel they have 3 canned choices eBay gives them ... the one they should have used was "Buyer requested" the cancellation.  Your account will be just fine with what happened ... eBay can always review the Messages between you and your "Trading Partner" (eBay's term for a Buyer and Seller on a Transaction.

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It was a $2.00 offer, an offer of $296.00 off the original price of $298.00. I have a feeling the seller meant to put offer  of $200.00 and not $2.00.

Well Il glad my address error isnt going to cause a problem. 

Thanks for help45C423CA-D7A2-4D22-96F1-C8D815536B54.png

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thank you! 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@yooner-ama wrote:

It was a $2.00 offer, an offer of $296.00 off the original price of $298.00. I have a feeling the seller meant to put offer  of $200.00 and not $2.00.

Well Il glad my address error isnt going to cause a problem. 

Thanks for help45C423CA-D7A2-4D22-96F1-C8D815536B54.png

@yooner-ama   Your phone charge is low ...

Regards,
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I've seen this several times where the BIN price was way too low, a $400 lens for $200 BIN, a $160 lens for $45...

I'll buy them, then send a message to the seller offering to let them cancel and relist at a more reasonable price.

That first one was supposed to be an opening bid on an auction, they thanked me, said it's okay, and shipped.

The second one, the seller really didn't know what the lens was worth, cancelled and relisted for $140 and it sold within a few hours.

People make mistakes, we don't need to take advantage of them. Karma can be good.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@quiltgeek wrote:

What IS a big problem is you misread the eBay message when you were contacted. eBay was suggesting TWO DOLLARS which the seller might accept a price that was two dollars less than the price they listed, NOT an encouragement to offer two dollars as your bid.

Not sure how you deduced this, when the OP said, "Of course I accepted", i.e. they accepted an offer for $2 that was sent by the seller.

It would also be kind of strange for eBay to suggest an offer of $198 on a $200 item, but I guess anything's possible.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@dq3141 wrote:

@quiltgeek wrote:

Not sure how you deduced this, when the OP said, "Of course I accepted", i.e. they accepted an offer for $2 that was sent by the seller.

It would also be kind of strange for eBay to suggest an offer of $198 on a $200 item, but I guess anything's possible.

I believe you are correct @dq3141  ... the Send offers feature has a box where Sellers are to put in the OFFERED price OR with the little pull down menu input a % of discount.  The Default setting is the price being offered not the % off ...

Here's a screen shot of the Send offers flow ...

Screenshot (3222).png

Regards,
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You are an honest person. That is a dying breed in the world nowadays.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for being a really honest and honorable buyer, letting the seller know the error and allowing them to cancel was really good of you.

Have a great 2022

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

😂 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

So when I read this statement:  "Seller offered a special discount of 99%." I was misinterpreting it?

When my local store states they are discounting all furniture 40% for a special sale, wouldn't I expect to pay only 60% of the original price? 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply