cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller issued partial refund for defective item

Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that I am completely frustrated and exhausted trying to sort this issue out on my own. I'm really hoping that someone here has the answer. 

So, I ordered a used ABS control module (an electronic auto part) from a large seller. The part arrived defective and the seller offers 30 day returns, so I sent the item back for a refund. Fast forward a few days and I receive the refund notification - 50% of the original purchase amount. Their comments on the refund are below. This seems extremely unfair. How can I dispute this with Ebay? I have not had any luck so far. 

"Hello. The item arrived in a different condition (badly defective, had to trash it) in such cases, the eBay gives me an option to issue a partial refund up to 50%. If you're not satisfied with our decision, please feel free to open a dispute, eBay will reimburse you the whole amount if they decide so. A partial refund is not a fraud, that's a tool that eBay gives to sellers to cover their charges. Our company acts within the eBay rules, and we would be very grateful for understanding. Thank you!"

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@jlong30127 wrote:

So, I ordered a used ABS control module (an electronic auto part) from a large seller. The part arrived defective and the seller offers 30 day returns, so I sent the item back for a refund.

"Hello. The item arrived in a different condition (badly defective, had to trash it) in such cases, the eBay gives me an option to issue a partial refund up to 50%. If you're not satisfied with our decision, please feel free to open a dispute, eBay will reimburse you the whole amount if they decide so. A partial refund is not a fraud, that's a tool that eBay gives to sellers to cover their charges. Our company acts within the eBay rules, and we would be very grateful for understanding. Thank you!"

You have 2 solutions to get the remainder of your full refund including original shipping, @jlong30127.

First, start a Significantly Not As Described dispute here, then go back and immediately click Escalate to PayPal at the bottom. Both times, for the dispute and the claim, enter ABS control module arrived defective in the comments, nothing more. Then, if you're instructed to return the item, upload the same tracking number that was already delivered back to the scammer, and wait for the refund.

If that fails or if you didn't use PayPal, contact your card issuer, provide the tracking number, and chargeback for "Goods returned Credit not issued" to get your refund.

Why Would a Customer File a Chargeback With Reason Code “Credit Not Processed?”
“Credit Not Processed” chargebacks are filed by customers who have canceled their purchase or returned their  purchase but did not receive a credit/refund from the merchant.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

As a seller yourself, I would have expected you to be more familiar with the MBG than you seem to be.  Might I suggest that you review the terms of the MBG.  Being that you appear to sell auto parts as well you may find that knowing and following the MBG may be better than trying sort out the issue with the seller.  Simply file a return request using the appropriate NAD reason when the item arrives not as described.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@7606dennis, I did file a return request and sent the seller a message saying that the item arrived defective. It would not power on or communicate with the vehicle's computer, so was sent back for a refund. I'm not sure how "knowing and following the MBG" would have prevented me from receiving a defective item, or stopped the seller from issuing a 50% refund.  

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate it and will contact my CC company.

It's infuriating that Ebay has no internal mechanism for disputing partial refunds! Also, I left the seller public feedback and it's now mysteriously missing from their profile. They're back to 100% customer satisfaction. Ugh! What a racket. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Electronic items (auto parts, computer peripherals etc, have had no returns at stores since the 50's. Best Buy, Walmart as well as most Auto Parts stores- you name it. Nothing new as it is easy for a buyer to either plug something in wrong, not disconnect the battery first, or just not know what the problem is and try to solve it by 'testing' different components. 

This seller now cannot sell this item to someone else once it's been plugged in as they have no idea if you burnt it up or not. 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Being that you appear to sell auto parts as well you may find that knowing and following the MBG may be better than trying sort out the issue with the seller.

Simply file a return request using the appropriate NAD reason when the item arrives not as described.

Being an ignoramus unaware of its own intelligence, I still know that knowing and following the MBG, then simply flinging a return request using the approximate NAD reason when the item arrives not as described, would not have stopped this scammer

- that sent a defective item

- from abusing the MBG to issue a 50% refund

- by claiming that the defective item was defective when it was returned.

Top Rankled Sellers can protect themselves by deducting up to 50% from refunds for an item that was returned after it was used or damaged by a buyer. If there are any issues with buyers that may negatively impact you, we’ll take care of them by removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

This seller now cannot sell this item to someone else once it's been plugged in as they have no idea if you burnt it up or not. 

If it arrived pre-burnt, that surely didn't stop the seller from selling it anyway.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127 wrote:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate it and will contact my CC company.

It's infuriating that Ebay has no internal mechanism for disputing partial refunds! Also, I left the seller public feedback and it's now mysteriously missing from their profile. They're back to 100% customer satisfaction. Ugh! What a racket. 

When a "poor" seller did that to me (50% deduction to cover their expenses nonsense reason) all I had to do was to appeal the refund. eBay gave me back the other 50%.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127 wrote:

@7606dennis, I did file a return request and sent the seller a message saying that the item arrived defective. It would not power on or communicate with the vehicle's computer, so was sent back for a refund. I'm not sure how "knowing and following the MBG" would have prevented me from receiving a defective item, or stopped the seller from issuing a 50% refund.  

Knowing and following the MBG would have forced the seller to pay for the return shipping and even though the seller could have offered a 50% refund there is no way to force you to accept it if you had filed a NAD return correctly.  While it wouldn't have stopped you from receiving a defective, it should have stopped you from receiving only half your money back.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I filed an INAD "correctly". Was shorted on the total quantity.

Seller accepted the return, and refunded 50% stating that I had destroyed the item.

I appealed that refund amount with eBay, and got the other 50%.

It is a "perk" for TRS accepting returns.

Seems based on %age of sales, some sellers can do over, and over, and over again, and still be an asset in the eyes of eBay.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@bebe-1153 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Being that you appear to sell auto parts as well you may find that knowing and following the MBG may be better than trying sort out the issue with the seller.

Simply file a return request using the appropriate NAD reason when the item arrives not as described.

Being an ignoramus unaware of its own intelligence, I still know that knowing and following the MBG, then simply flinging a return request using the approximate NAD reason when the item arrives not as described, would not have stopped this scammer

- that sent a defective item

- from abusing the MBG to issue a 50% refund

- by claiming that the defective item was defective when it was returned.

Top Rankled Sellers can protect themselves by deducting up to 50% from refunds for an item that was returned after it was used or damaged by a buyer. If there are any issues with buyers that may negatively impact you, we’ll take care of them by removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics.

So, are you saying that the OP, might have damaged the item by installing it incorrectly and that is what the seller is using as a reason for offering only a 50% refund?  I didn't take the OP's original post to state that.  So what we have is the OP stating that the item arrived defective and the seller claiming that the OP damaged the item and then tried to return it so they only want to pay 50% refund.  Interesting!  If I was the OP I would probably have asked eBay to step in when the seller offered the partial refund.

Of course, being that the OP is a seller himself, I would have expected him to know the MBG well enough to know the options available to him.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Sorry you picked a scrub seller. I'd appeal this one to eBay... they are known to issue a 'courtesy refund' in such situations. I'm sure it comes from a pool that all sellers actually finance... but I'm willing to pitch in. Good luck.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Knowing and following the MBG would have forced the seller to pay for the return shipping

and even though the seller could have offered a 50% refund there is no way to force you to accept it if you had filed a NAD return correctly. 

While it wouldn't have stopped you from receiving a defective, it should have stopped you from receiving only half your money back.

You really should read the MBG yourself, the MBG you've been telling others to read.

There's a whole lot you don't know, unfortunately

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I would gladly appeal this to Ebay, but there appears to be no option to do so. 

The ABS module is plug and play. This particular one was obviously from a crash car and had SRS deploy codes that could not be cleared. If you can't clear the codes, the SRS light on the dash just stays on indefinitely. I explained all of this to the seller when initiating the return. They did not offer a 50% refund; they took a 50% deduction without asking or attempting to get more information. 

If anyone knows how to dispute this issue with Ebay, please provide the procedure and I'll do it. I've tried every section and help tab but cannot seem to find a way to do it. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply