cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller issued partial refund for defective item

Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that I am completely frustrated and exhausted trying to sort this issue out on my own. I'm really hoping that someone here has the answer. 

So, I ordered a used ABS control module (an electronic auto part) from a large seller. The part arrived defective and the seller offers 30 day returns, so I sent the item back for a refund. Fast forward a few days and I receive the refund notification - 50% of the original purchase amount. Their comments on the refund are below. This seems extremely unfair. How can I dispute this with Ebay? I have not had any luck so far. 

"Hello. The item arrived in a different condition (badly defective, had to trash it) in such cases, the eBay gives me an option to issue a partial refund up to 50%. If you're not satisfied with our decision, please feel free to open a dispute, eBay will reimburse you the whole amount if they decide so. A partial refund is not a fraud, that's a tool that eBay gives to sellers to cover their charges. Our company acts within the eBay rules, and we would be very grateful for understanding. Thank you!"

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Seller issued partial refund for defective item

Also, Ebay assisting the seller by removing negative feedback is a ridiculous policy! The seller takes 50% of your money without explanation and puts the cost on someone else while maintaining a 100% rating!? Wow. That's just insane. 

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127 wrote:

I would gladly appeal this to Ebay, but there appears to be no option to do so. 

The ABS module is plug and play. This particular one was obviously from a crash car and had SRS deploy codes that could not be cleared. If you can't clear the codes, the SRS light on the dash just stays on indefinitely. I explained all of this to the seller when initiating the return. They did not offer a 50% refund; they took a 50% deduction without asking or attempting to get more information. 

If anyone knows how to dispute this issue with Ebay, please provide the procedure and I'll do it. I've tried every section and help tab but cannot seem to find a way to do it. 

Could it be that the seller believes or is claiming that you, in trying to clear the codes altered the condition of the item and thus couldn't have returned the item in the same condition as received?  Just a thought.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127 wrote:

Also, Ebay assisting the seller by removing negative feedback is a ridiculous policy! The seller takes 50% of your money without explanation and puts the cost on someone else while maintaining a 100% rating!? Wow. That's just insane. 

Alas!  There are more than just a few of eBay's policies that to many appear ridiculous. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127 wrote:

I would gladly appeal this to Ebay, but there appears to be no option to do so. 

The ABS module is plug and play. This particular one was obviously from a crash car and had SRS deploy codes that could not be cleared. If you can't clear the codes, the SRS light on the dash just stays on indefinitely. I explained all of this to the seller when initiating the return. They did not offer a 50% refund; they took a 50% deduction without asking or attempting to get more information. 

If anyone knows how to dispute this issue with Ebay, please provide the procedure and I'll do it. I've tried every section and help tab but cannot seem to find a way to do it. 

The ABS module controls the Antilock Braking system. It doesn't have anything to do with the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS, i.e. airbags) or the Restraints Control Module (RCM) that controls the airbags, and sets SRS codes. It sounds like you may have mixed up the two different modules. That may have caused some damage.

Here is the eBay policy page about receiving refunds, that explains what to do if you sent the item back in the same condition you received it, but the seller claims that you damaged it.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763

image.png

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Sorry, yes. It's the SRS control module. The SRS light stays on and it was the SRS module that we received defective. There is no chance that my mechanic (who installed the item) damaged it in the process. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127, was the SRS light on in your car, before you tried to install the new module? 

There are many, many things that can turn the SRS light on, including just a shorted wire anywhere in any of the wire harness for the many different kinds of sensors, any of the airbags or seatbelts, some steering column stuff, vehicle speed inputs, etc. etc. etc. Just replacing the RCM won't turn the light off, if it was caused by any one of those many, many other issues in the car. So if the new module didn't turn the SRS light off, that doesn't mean there was something wrong with the new module.

If you were replacing the RCM module in the first place, that means that there were other issues with the entire RCM system, anyway. Something was deployed, some sensor was triggered, or some wire was shorted.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@jlong30127, also, all used car parts should be assumed to be from crashed cars. If the vehicle wasn't totaled, it wouldn't be parted out for sale as used parts.

Never buy used parts for automotive safety or restraint components. It's not worth it.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

The SRS module was the issue. I ordered another one and it resolved the problem. 

I spoke with Ebay customer service via instant messenger and they've refunded the difference. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment here. It's been most appreciated!

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

As a seller I basically when my buyer went to ebay forcing me to allow a return and refund. I had an original picture of the left side of the item I sold before it got to my buyer. I allowed the return so I don’t get a strike and in the meantime talked with ebay sent them picture proof that it didn’t have any marks on the left side of the head of the item. Yes the buyer did before me sent pictures of the left side of the head marked up, but unfortunately for my buyer ebay email me saying that i’m allowed since they could see in proof that when I had it it was in a different condition than when my buyer had it. So eBay is allowing me to take part of my buyer’s refund for damages since my buyer claims manufacturer defect on the item I sold her. Which defect falls under 50% deduction from refund, but yes it won’t stop the buyer from appealing the decision but they’d have to deal with ebay now. It is very rare for ebay to side with sellers unless they like I had proof to back me up on doing this. But I’m keeping the screen shot and email from eBay on their decision on the matter to back me up if the buyer does appeal this. eBay even gave me their blessing on taking a restocking fee from my buyer which I’ve read that it’s not allowed 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply