cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is listing item currently for sale at another site.

Not sure if this is a Buyer or Seller issue or even an issue at all.

Seller is listing an item that is currently for sale at an unrelated site, even using the site's text and pictures.  So the seller doesn't own the item, it is not in the seller's possession (the item is in a different geographical location according to the information here at eBay and the other site), and is charging what is currently a 600% markup.  The other site is an auction so it's possible this eBay seller won't ever own the item s/he is selling. 

Is this allowed?  I would think this might incorporate multiple infractions.    

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Seller is listing item currently for sale at another site.

Is this a new item? if so, how do you know it's the same seller?  Is it currently banned from selling on ebay? 600% mark up compared to what? 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

"Is this a new item?" No.

"if so, how do you know it's the same seller?" Two sellers.

"Is it currently banned from selling on ebay?" No.

"600% mark up compared to what?" The current auction price.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Apparently my first explanation wasn't clear.

An eBay seller has an item listed for sale. 

I found this same item (serial # in pictures) listed at another unrelated auction site by a seller hundreds of miles from the eBay seller's listed location.  The eBay seller therefore doesn't own the item, hasn't seen it, hasn't tested it, etc.  The eBay seller is using the other seller's pictures (b/c they don't have the item in their possession to be able to photograph the item).

Is this allowed?  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@onebighobbit 

It is difficult to say with any certainty what is going on.

Perhaps the eBay seller does have possession, and the other auction listing is old or out of date or not legitimate.

Perhaps both listings are copied from a third seller, and neither current listing is legitimate.

If you are curious, it might be instructive to check the eBay seller's other items to see if any of those are also currently listed on other sites.

Without knowing more, I certainly would not bid on or buy either item.

If you suspect that a listing is fraudulent, you can report the listing, but it is unlikely that eBay will take any action based on a single report.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for responding.

The other auction is current.  I don't intend to bid on either auction; I'm simply asking about two current auctions for the same item at two unrelated websites. 

It's clear to me that the eBay seller is selling merchandise s/he doesn't own and is currently being auctioned at another site.  I was under the impression that eBay items must be in the possession of their sellers with the exception of drop-shipping.  I could be wrong, as policies have changed over time and I am not aware of recent changes.  Or it could be that it's still against eBay policy and that it's a policy that isn't enforced.  

Thank you for your time.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@onebighobbit 

Sellers should have items in their possession and control (or at least under contract in the case of drop-shippers), but eBay makes no real effort to determine whether that is actually the case, as far as I can tell, except under certain circumstances such as if there is a formal VeRO complaint.

If problems arise eBay may take action, but by then it is often too late to do anything except issue a refund.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"...listed at another unrelated auction site by a seller hundreds of miles from the eBay seller's listed location..."..so maybe seller has a  split personality...:-)..not a big deal..

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Not really a practice I would recommend.  The seller is running a risk of hiving the item purchased by different buyers on different sites.  Of course, if the seller has identical items there is no harm done.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 9
latest reply