cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really eBay?

I've used eBay since it first started, in the mid 90's. I always knew from the start it had great potential.. However, year after year I saw eBay make mistakes, simply not fix mistakes that were already in place, or not make simple improvements that could have huge positive impacts on their business.

Today takes the cake! After speaking to a customer representative and a Manager about an issue I had about a product, they pretty much told me in not so many words that.. if a seller is slick enough to commit fraud and not be noticed after 30 days, there is nothing they can do about it.. REALLY? I'm talking about fraud, not a product that's out of warranty.. not a product that just stopped working after 30 days. I'm talking about a listing that was misrepresented since day one.. unfortunately the product wasn't as easy to test as a fake memory card, or fake rolex, etc. It's not really about the money for me, but about the principle. Sure if your corporation XYZ you can cover a lot of things in a 30 day policy or user agreement, but FRAUD isn't one of them. You can't create a policy to say we can get away with anything we want.. we don't have to abide by the law because we are a company. However, the fact that they would be willing to risk loosing a user that's both a Seller & Buyer that does thousands of dollars in business a year on their website.. for an item that cost a few hundred bucks is completely outrageous, not only that, but risk a multi-million or even billion dollar class action lawsuit? So, let's penny pinch to save a few thousand here and there, only to risk the potential to loose millions, if not billions of dollars in customers and lawsuits? Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. I'd like to think if I were running the company users would be happy.. and eBay would be at 20x profits. I'm dumbfounded by it all. I sit back and say can people really be that stupid..?? Yes, yes they can.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Really eBay?

I realize you are upset and this is hyperbole, but a billion dollar lawsuit over a misrepresented item? 

This is simply an online platform to put sellers and buyers in touch with each other. This platform does not guarantee the items because they aren't selling the items. You have a MBG for 30 days, so yes, if in those 30 days you don't discover an issue than you are out of luck- with this platform. There are other options for a buyer to use for a return after the 30 day window. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

eBay's money back guarantee can only be invoked within thirty days of the receipt of an item or the last estimated delivery date. Beyond sixty days from the transaction, eBay may no longer be able to claw back the payment from the seller. Without that capability, there is not much eBay can do for a defrauded buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

After that, you will not be able to pursue a case on eBay, though you may still have recourse if you paid with PayPal or a credit card -- possibly as much as six months after the transaction date depending on the exact terms of your protection.

eBay is best suited for purchasing tangible goods that can be shipped and tracked, and that can be quickly evaluated and returned if they are determined not to be as advertised. Items that cannot be evaluated within thirty days -- such as plant seeds, or automotive parts that require installation by a mechanic -- may make it difficult to obtain a refund if there is a problem that only becomes apparent outside of the Money Back Guarantee window.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Sorry for your frustrations. If you used PayPal or a CC, you still have time to undo the injustice.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

What kind of “fraud” are you saying happened?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Identify the law firm that advised you  eBay is at risk of a multi million or billion dollar class action lawsuit ?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

ed8108: "Identify the law firm that advised you eBay is at risk of a multi million or billion dollar class action lawsuit ?"

If you think that's crazy have you read the warning label on hot cup of coffee? Or searched for "coffee cancer label".. not that most people should know that burnt foods "could" increase the risk for certain types of cancers.  And I'm sure I could find a thousand more random examples. People have been sued for much more frivolous things where common sense should have come into play on the plaintiffs side but they still won the case.

lamber9347:  "I realize you are upset and this is hyperbole."   No, I'm quite calm actually and very literal.

"This is simply an online platform to put sellers and buyers in touch with each other. This platform does not guarantee the items because they aren't selling the items. You have a MBG for 30 days, so yes, if in those 30 days you don't discover an issue than you are out of luck- with this platform. There are other options for a buyer to use for a return after the 30 day window. "

Simply?  Yes, They simply make billions off your sales. And the issue isn't that a seller sells a item not as described.. The issue is that unless an item has a extremely high fraud compliant that sellers can still sell counterfeit goods even if eBay has been reported that the item is counterfeit from only a small handful of buyers.  A prime example of this is counterfeit memory cards,  sure the card works fine and reports the correct amount of storage. If the buyer doesn't know about fake memory cards or how to test for them they won't know they have an issue. The issue is when the buyer tries to write too much data to the card and then it overwrites all of their information on the card.. in many cases by that time the 30 days is up and they already left positive feedback for the seller.  I'm not saying eBay doesn't do anything,  I'm saying that they don't do enough. This isn't just a single item that was "not as described" that was suppose to be new but came used.. I'm talking about items that are illegal to resell in the United States under trademark/counterfeit law.. and other similar issues that don't exactly fall under counterfeiting.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

If youre going to lawyer up, best have a look at the user agreement where by using eBay you agree to arbitration as opposed to court (in the state of Utah).

Its under section 18 under legal disputes:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259#18

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

jack-falstaff: I didn't claim I was going to start a class action, I merely stated that they open themselves up to that risk. Infact I didn't say anything on this thread that wasn't 100% true as of today. I'm not a law expert but I wouldn't think that Utah law would hold much water in court except in Utah for similar reasons that you see on the bottom of your credit card statement many different rules by many different states. And again there is no user policy under law that allows someone to commit fraud.. by informing eBay and them taking no action and allowing the fraud to continue they become just as guilty as the seller PERIOD.  And I don't know any just state that wouldn't allow a law suite against a company or corporation if you were criminally defrauded and they were informed and did nothing at all and continued to allow it to happen.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Did you read the user agreement you agree to by using this site???

Oh you may have a case against the SELLER: but not ebay.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Did you not read my last reply?

"And again there is no user policy under law that allows someone to commit fraud.. by informing eBay and them taking no action and allowing the fraud to continue they become just as guilty as the seller PERIOD.  And I don't know any just state that wouldn't allow a law suite against a company or corporation if you were criminally defrauded and they were informed and did nothing at all and continued to allow it to happen."

Again I'm not talking about a 1 time transaction but a seller that continues to sell counterfeit goods months after eBay has already been notified of the issue.

Many of you sound like you work for eBay instead of eBay working for you.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@zeronullity wrote:

Did you not read my last reply?

"And again there is no user policy under law that allows someone to commit fraud.. by informing eBay and them taking no action and allowing the fraud to continue they become just as guilty as the seller PERIOD.  And I don't know any just state that wouldn't allow a law suite against a company or corporation if you were criminally defrauded and they were informed and did nothing at all and continued to allow it to happen."

Again I'm not talking about a 1 time transaction but a seller that continues to sell counterfeit goods months after eBay has already been notified of the issue.

Many of you sound like you work for eBay instead of eBay working for you.

Hmm what proof of what you claim do you have??

Please post it here...

Leave out usernames and any way to link to users please..

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Well I do have chat logs with a eBay CSR and a Manager but I'm not going to share them here.  Also just go buy a handful of micro sdcards (this isn't the item I bought but it's a prime example as I said before)   test them.. when you find out they are fake capacity or fake with counterfeit logo & fake capacity... report it to eBay see what happens. Within 30 days? Sure you'll get your money back but that same seller will still be selling those months from now if not years ripping off customers unless they have a really low feedback score.. then they might do some thing.. I'm also talking about not just opening a case against the seller but using eBay's system to report it to their fraud department also..  It takes a massive amount of buyers to report it before they actually do something. Some of the sellers have caught on.. now they just copy Sandisks color schemes and change the brand name so that they bypass counterfeiting issues but they still defraud buyer's of the stated storage capacity. For example a 512GB card that's really only 8GB but reports that it's 512GB in your system.. until you do a data loop test such as with hash checking using unique files to check for data corruption you won't know it's fake.. or that it has a "hacked memory controller"  Some test do NOT work.. and will give some buyers who aren't experienced a false sense that it's a real capacity sdcard.. you have to make sure each file has a unique hash/data structure instead of the same exact file copied over and over again. Most of the fake cards use a "looping" technique that will pass a real junky sdcard test.. that's why I do my own test on a Linux system using a bash script that I've created myself.. I also don't buy stuff like that from eBay anymore for this very reason and only buy from large known distributors of branded memory cards.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I understand your frustration (I really do), but, hypothetically, what would you suggest eBay do? Keep in mind the lengths some sellers might be willing to go to get their competitors selling privileges revoked.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

It's not really about the money for me, but about the principle....

Ah yes, the principal's office.  Get over it and move on.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply