cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller hassling me on a return request

This is a new one for me.  I have bought off ebay since 2008 and have never had to deal with a seller like this.  I ordered a vintage music box.  The pictures were beautiful, so I wanted it.  I received it today and it would not wind or play the music.  Clearly, there is something wrong with the winding mechanism.  I had company at the time I opened it.  This will come into play later.  I let the seller know I wanted to return it because it did not work.  

She responded with I needed to recheck it and try again to wind it.  It is an antique and very delicate to winding.  Did I do something wrong when I winded it.  Then she proceeded to tell me she made no money off it and it belonged to an elderly person who needs the money. 

First off it is not a hundred years old, so it is not an antique.  Secondly the winder is loose like it has broken internally.  I told her I am elderly too, which I am.  I said I had witnesses to my opening it, (which was not planned it just happened).  It was wrapped very well in bubble wrap but then it was loose in the box, there was no further packing, the box also was not damaged.

She responded with denying I received it that way and denied the way she packed it.  At this point, I realized I was getting no where and just opened a return.  I prefer working with sellers so I always contact them if there is a problem rather then opening a case.   Then we take it from there.

I figured all was well I only need to send the item back.  Since then she messages me with stories abut how that money is needed to help people who are on hard times.  And she works for a county courthouse, abd she has witnesses too, it makes no sense to me it is like she is off her meds. 

Finally I responded with this was a business transaction that did not work out right, nothing more nothing less.  I would be shipping the item back with the label ebay provided me and when she received it, I would automatically get a refund.  I was not interested in reading anymore of her stories and not to contact me again.  She follows up with another "you accused me" type of message with how many people live in her town.  I sent a return message in all caps reading, do not contact me again.  I will have no further contact with her and plan to bock her after this is over, another first.

I have left maybe 2 negs and that was in 2008-2009.  I prefer not to leave them, I just walk away.  However I feel it may be to other buyers advantage to know if the transaction goes south she will harass them.   Also can I report her for the messages if she does not stop?  Like I said I have never had anything like this happen.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ignore the sob stories. She sold a faulty item, and whether she was aware or not, as the seller, its her responsibility. I've been screwed over many a times with buyers "claiming" I sent the wrong or faulty item (when I didn't) and have learned the hard way that sellers have no leverage in these situations. Just open the claim and send it back. You'll get your money back. Chances are she knew it was broken anyways based on her long drawn out responses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Reporting message will end up in the round file. eBay doesn't  referee or become involved with interpersonal disputes. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I just finish this and get another message from the seller.   It basically says they just want to know the truth.  They want to know bad people are not getting away with this.  If I would just tell them I accidentally broke it, I would not have to return it and they would refund me.  Oh and no need for me to get upset.  They love me.  This is plain crazy.  I just want to block all messages from this seller.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Fortunately for me, almost every seller I have dealt with has been really great.  On the few times I have had to do a return, I open the return and give them a brief description why I am returning it... and that's it.  I don't want their life story... From that point they will either accept the return or they won't.  If they won't, then eBay will take over and get a label for me.  I just take a knee and run the clock out.   Fortunately doing this is very rare...  Like I said, the vast majority of sellers I work with are great people.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Like I said this is a first for me too.  I have never had a problem with a seller, like this.   I have always been pro seller as the majority of them at least 99.5 % for me have been wonderful.

I just got off the phone with cs and had her read the messages.  She said those messages are not tolerated from a seller and she took a note of it and will report it.  We will see.....

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It is convenient & self serving to believe that every buyer is most probably a scammer.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I suspect a business transaction with a seller who may be a professional victim.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

You are not inexperienced here.  Why would you not simply open an item not as described case in the Resolution Center?  And there was really no need to continue the back and forth messages after you first notified her of the issue.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The OP was a lot to read when a simple INAD claim would resolve everything.

A lot of uneccesary interpersonal back and forth with the seller was pointless - leave factual feedback remembering the seller can respond to it

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I agree but to message me so many times with harassing emails takes it to a whole new level.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@sew734 wrote:

I agree but to message me so many times with harassing emails takes it to a whole new level.

I sympathiize, but...  You chose to engage in this conversation, which was unnecessary after the first message told you clearly what was up:  Unreasonable seller with a well-practiced line of malarky and a hundred excuses.   Ergo, you should have just filed the INAD and ceased further communication. 

Anyhow, hope the return and refund go smoothly.  By the way, if she has a "No Returns" policy and eBay has to intervene in this, eBay will more than likely tell you to just keep the item.  No Returns does not mean No Refunds, but it can  mean to eBay that the seller does not want the item back.

=

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If you read what I wrote, you would have seen I contacted the seller prior to opening a case, which is what most seller's want.  After the first crazy reply, I opened a case.  They sent me another reply to which I responded it would be taken care of by ebay and not to contact me again.  They followed up with another message, to which I replied in all caps not to contact me.  When they sent the last one, I called cs.  I do not have to be harassed with some liar's messages.  

Due to my "experience", I reached out to cs to protect a less experienced buyer from this.   The content of these messages may have scared a new buyer into closing the case. This is the kind of tactic that allows this kind of seller to give all seller's a bad name, if the buyer is inexperienced.   It may give buyers yet another reason to go after sellers.

They will look into this and the seller may be warned or receive a suspension.   At this point, I no longer care.   I am so done with this.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Ignore the sob stories. She sold a faulty item, and whether she was aware or not, as the seller, its her responsibility. I've been screwed over many a times with buyers "claiming" I sent the wrong or faulty item (when I didn't) and have learned the hard way that sellers have no leverage in these situations. Just open the claim and send it back. You'll get your money back. Chances are she knew it was broken anyways based on her long drawn out responses.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Just to enlighten you, I used to post a lot here, not so much now.  Unfortunately after 2 strokes, it has affected my thinking process.  There are times I get confused and can't remember.  Experience has nothing to do with this.  I reached out here because I was honestly unable to figure out what to do next.

I do not want sympathy or an apology.  Hopefully the next time you want to be rude, you will realize not all people have the same abilities.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply