cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question

Why would a seller ask for my personal email address after I made a purchase?  That made me nervous about my purchase… 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question

As a longtime buyer of mostly fashion items here on e-Bay, I cannot recall ever receiving such a request.

I believe e-Bay members are unable to include e-mail addresses within messages which may be sent on the site.  In fact, I believe it's prohibited.

With countless scams lurking about in cyberspace; one must always exercise caution.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

As well it should!  Heed your feelings and walk away.  Kind of an old scam.

Congrats for catching it!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@care_5679 Good on you for catching it. Do not give your email, simply tell your seller to contact you via eBay messaging and ignore anything else. Your purchase has a money back guarantee so you will not be out anything financially, only your time. Follow the policies on here and you'll be covered. Come back to this post if you have further questions. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have already paid… what do I do now? 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I already paid, what can I do now?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@care_5679 wrote:

I have already paid… what do I do now? 

Nothing but wait. Look at the estimated date of delivery for your purchased item. Once that date passes and you haven't received it, you open an item not received case. Just follow the prompts. Seller will be forced to respond and either you get your item or you get refunded in total. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

As a longtime buyer of mostly fashion items here on e-Bay, I cannot recall ever receiving such a request.

I believe e-Bay members are unable to include e-mail addresses within messages which may be sent on the site.  In fact, I believe it's prohibited.

With countless scams lurking about in cyberspace; one must always exercise caution.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The problem is, they didn’t ask for it until after I had completed the purchase… so I didn’t feel weird about until then. Now I feel stupid.  It was a big purchase 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Your seller has no reason for wanting your email address and him asking does not mean your current purchase is in any kind of danger.

I am a seller and in more than a decade of selling on eBay I have never had any cause to contact a buyer away from eBay messaging and I would advise you not to share your personal details with seller.

Your seller may or may not have a legitimate reason for asking and I would not waste my energy on speculating or worrying.

eBay is a safe place to buy if you choose your sellers carefully and follow eBay's policies/ guidance and read up on Money back guarantee.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply