cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase Privacy in Feedback

I do not have any negative feedback but would like to remove one feedback due to the fact that I would not like the item I purchased to be known to anyone who goes to my profile. I really wish eBay didn't have to list the item purchased with the feedback. Some items are purchased in discretion and I feel it is not a good policy for eBay to display someone's purchase history with feedback for all to see. Is there a way to remove this? Ebay only gives you the option to remove feedback if it is negative, not positive. I don't necessarily need the feedback removed, just the item that was purchased.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

As a seller you cannot have private FB.

You could buy on a quest account or start a separate buyer account.

Buyer only accounts can have private FB.

I dont think people stock FB to see what others bought but I also dont "follow" items to see what they sell for... Im busy and dont really have the time to watch others.

If it really is upsetting to you, I would go with buying as a guest.,

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@dandyrulz 

The public can't see the item in question. 

To see what we see when looking at your feedback pages, log out and have another look.

eBay allows users to have more than one account. You could open another account and use it only for buying.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@dandyrulz wrote: .... I really wish eBay didn't have to list the item purchased with the feedback. ....

They don't.  Nobody else but you can see the information about your purchased items.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the information

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

When I click on your FB to look at it, which, of course, I had to do after reading your post, I could not see what you bought.  Log out and see what I see.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thank you, I didn't think of it from that point of view. I was thinking more in the way of if someone I know happened to visit my page, not necessarily the person I don't know. One would think that if negative feedback can be removed that it would be possible. Not really upset, was just wondering. I appreciate the reply.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Again, that person you know cannot see what you bought either.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hi @dandyrulz 

Nothing a member has purchased is ever shown on their feedback profile.  Only items they have sold are shown ... and only if it wasn't 'Private listing'.  [Sellers often list 'sensitive' items in Private listings so that buyers feel freer to purchase them.]

We are always able to see our own purchases ... but only if we're signed into our account.  [You can verify this by checking your feedback profile after signing out of your account.]

In short, our purchases are our own business ... and eBay has made that so by omitting the name of the item from our profiles.  They did that quite some time ago.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Adding to what others said @dandyrulz :

While we cannot see the title of the item you purchased, we can see the seller IDs. Your 2 recent purchases were from sellers that are category-specific so it's easy to tell what you purchased.

If you don't want others to see any part of your buying feedback, use separate accounts for buying and selling, or, as khlmdg suggested, make 'sensitive' purchases using guest checkout.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Adding to what others said @dandyrulz :

While we cannot see the title of the item you purchased, we can see the seller IDs. Your 2 recent purchases were from sellers that are category-specific so it's easy to tell what you purchased.

If you don't want others to see any part of your buying feedback, use separate accounts for buying and selling, or, as khlmdg suggested, make 'sensitive' purchases using guest checkout.

Absolutely right. The alternative is to not leave feedback for a category specific sellers that might prove embarrassing for a buyer.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I'm not looking for private FB, just to remove one item only.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The issue is more of when I am on my eBay it shows up the first item on FB and it has been over 6 months. If, for instance I am showing a co-worker what I have for sale, I don't want them to see this certain item. that was purchased.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

As noted above many times, nobody but you can see the listing titles in your feedback received as a buyer. And there is no way to persuade eBay to remove positive feedback unless you can drum up some complaint which doesn't seem likely in this case.

So if you want to show your items to a co-worker, sign out of your account first. Or tell her to look at them using her own eBay account.  The only way that your co-worker can see the listing titles for your feedback received as a buyer is if they have access to your account.  

If you are concerned about the co-worker even seeing the seller's ID (and I can see why that might be the case here), then your only recourse is to purchase more stuff so that feedback gets pushed down the list.

Even better, set up a separate ID for buying. It won't help you this time, but might be helpful in the future.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

eBay doesn't  hide anything you purchase from your view.

Someone else viewing feedback you left for buying or received for buying will not be able to see the item number.   

Message 15 of 16
latest reply