cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popular seller banned me for asking question about legitemacy?

I recently sent a message to a popular Japanese seller expressing my interest in some of their items.

The message read

"Hello, I was just wondering how you obtained so many high end items? Before I commit to buying I just wanted to alleviate my suspicions and get an answer because seeing all these items on your page is extremely overwhelming.

Please do not take offense to my question as I am a genuine buyer who wishes to make a purchase.

Regards,
Brayden"

I clearly stated that I wished no offence through the messgae I just wanted to remove my concern.

This is my first and only interaction with the seller and without even a response I have been blocked from bidding on items and also messaging the seller to ask why I have been banned.

Is there anything I can do to get in contact with the seller or do I have to use one of my friends account to bid on the items?

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Popular seller banned me for asking question about legitemacy?

"So you sent a message to a seller questioning his integrity and he doesn't want to do business with you."

With all due respect to the OP, imagine that. 

Message 16 of 60
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I'm guessing the items in question were things like designer handbags?  If that's the case, the seller is probably the online store for one of the many physical stores in Japan that sell used designer goods.  Used goods stores in general are ubiquitous in Japan and these days many of them have online presences as well.

If they are handbags, perhaps that is something the OP could have researched as part of her buyer's due diligence, knowing that they may not get an accurate answer.  After all, all the seller has to say even if the items are not legitimate is, yes, OF COURSE they are.  But if you have doubt, it may be best to just walk away.  

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

The fact that the seller blocked you is probably a fair indication that their goods are indeed counterfeit. I fail to see any logic in circumventing the block and purchasing potentially counterfeit items from the seller anyway.

If you feel strongly enough about it, consider reporting some of the seller's listings to eBay so that eBay can investigate the matter more closely. All you'll get here on the message boards is a bad attitude from jaded sellers who harbor so much resentment toward eBay's buyer base.
Message 18 of 60
latest reply

With all due respect, I don't see attitude or resentment from sellers here.  I see sellers explaining why that message was so offensive.  IMO, that message was inappropriate and ill considered.

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

Even the OP describes the seller as a "popular Japanese seller"~~the seller must have good feedback from buyers and must have a good record selling on ebay to be so "popular".  Maybe because the seller is so "popular" and have such nice items he just decided to not deal with the OP when the OP questioned him insinuating his items may be fakes.  Any seller who gets a message like this would most likely decide they don't want to deal with a buyer who has doubts before even buying as to if their items are authentic.  One buyer leaving less than positive feedback is all it takes.  Best to not deal with that buyer.

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

@midnight_mystic wrote:

Dear Brayden,

Hello, I was just wondering why you think any seller's source of inventory is any of your business, why you would buy from a seller that you have suspicions about -- and especially why you would put someone you call a "friend" at risk by using their account to buy from a suspicious seller, and have the nerve to question someone eles's integrity?

Please do not take offense to my question.

Regards,
midnight_mystic

this somewhat rude response is comparable to o.p.'s question to seller. this is a 'no win' situation. asking in itself would offend the honest seller and the scammer would just lie or block fearing they would be caught. even an honest seller that took no offense may block just to avoid issues. best to just walk away and forget it.

The time-honored rhetorical trick of holding a mirror up to the interrogator was, perhaps, just a bit lost here?

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

@au.vu08 wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get in contact with the seller or do I have to use one of my friends account to bid on the items?

Seriously?? You don't feel that you can trust that the seller on face value, and yet you still want to try to get around their block?

Think about it. Doesn't that seem stupid to you? Because it certainly seems that way to me.

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

Even the OP describes the seller as a "popular Japanese seller"~~the seller must have good feedback from buyers and must have a good record selling on ebay to be so "popular".  Maybe because the seller is so "popular" and have such nice items he just decided to not deal with the OP when the OP questioned him insinuating his items may be fakes.  Any seller who gets a message like this would most likely decide they don't want to deal with a buyer who has doubts before even buying as to if their items are authentic.  One buyer leaving less than positive feedback is all it takes.  Best to not deal with that buyer.

Yeah I just can't imagine questioning a very popular sellers integrity for no good reason, god forbid someone with an extensive network and high sales dare stumble upon some impressive items.

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@au.vu08 wrote:

I recently sent a message to a popular Japanese seller expressing my interest in some of their items.

The message read

"Hello, I was just wondering how you obtained so many high end items? Before I commit to buying I just wanted to alleviate my suspicions and get an answer because seeing all these items on your page is extremely overwhelming.

Please do not take offense to my question as I am a genuine buyer who wishes to make a purchase.

Regards,
Brayden"

I clearly stated that I wished no offence through the messgae I just wanted to remove my concern.

This is my first and only interaction with the seller and without even a response I have been blocked from bidding on items and also messaging the seller to ask why I have been banned.

I'm a seller.

When I was new, every time I was asked "are the coins authentic" they would file a SNAD and claim counterfeit once they arrive.

Your seller probably has the same history with buyers and is blocking you pre-emptively so you can't claim counterfeit and keep the goods and the money.

The "no offense, genuine buyer" part is just verbage to add to the message so the receipient will be distracted from what you are really asking.

Cheers, C.

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm a seller.

When I was new, every time I was asked "are the coins authentic" they would file a SNAD and claim counterfeit once they arrive.

Your seller probably has the same history with buyers and is blocking you pre-emptively so you can't claim counterfeit and keep the goods and the money.

The "no offense, genuine buyer" part is just verbage to add to the message so the receipient will be distracted from what you are really asking.

Cheers, C.

Good point. It shows a confirmation bias on the buyer's part that they're inclined to see signs of counterfeit everywhere, even when the item is authentic.

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

All you'll get here on the message boards is a bad attitude from jaded sellers who harbor so much resentment toward eBay's buyer base.

Huh?

This is so far off the mark it makes one question your motive.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 26 of 60
latest reply

I know I block them. I’ve found in business that when someone has an issue with something it becomes a problem later. Therefore, I opt out of dealing with them.
Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm a seller.

Cheers, C.

Also, if one is so concerned about the potential authenticity of a merchant's goods, the logical course of action would be to not buy from them.

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm a seller.

Cheers, C.

Also, if one is so concerned about the potential authenticity of a merchant's goods, the logical course of action would be to not buy from them.

One would think so.

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

I agree with others every time I have had a buyer ask me if something is authentic they turn around and file an snad.

I honestly think some of them do it just for fun
Message 30 of 60
latest reply