cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please advise

I saw a car add on facebook marketplace but the seller sent me a message below. Is this really legit? See her message below …

Right now I'm in a military base, we are training, getting ready to leave the country. The delivery process will be managed by eBay. I think you will have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using their service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.

I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details for this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay - full name, shipping address and phone number - , so we can get the ball rolling. .

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Please advise

Others with even better knowledge of this will chime in but since you just posted I want to ask you to be very careful - this military base thing is a hallmark of common and typical car sale scam. Often, the email messages are fakes and eBay is not even involved. Please read up on how eBay handles car sales and be totally sure you are dealing with a legitimate person. Don't pay with eBay gift cards - that is another aspect to the scam. Beware!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Forgot to add that these ad's on Facebook marketplace that say they are selling a car on eBay are bogus - that is another red flag. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

SCAM ALERT 101!!  They will ask you to pay with gift cards, which are untraceable, and you are out the money.  There is no car, no person on a military base.  If you didn't find it on eBay, it is bogus.  Have no further communication with this person.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@jawar_9915 

< we are training, getting ready to leave the country >    

This is a common scam.  We see questions about this scam every day.  Sometimes, the victim comes here after they've already lost their money.  I hate to reply to those posts.  Every sentence in the first paragraph of the message that she sent you are lies. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's a scam. Help the next guy by reporting the bogus ad on the site where you found it. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks a lot guys, I’m gonna report that profile on facebook, good thing I had not spent a dime but my time and raising my expectations. Thanks again all the responses here are helpful. 

james

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thank you!!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

So very smart of you to ask this question. I am so happy to hear that you did not lose any money. Glad that you are reporting the listing on Facebook.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Not only is it a SCAM.  It has almost every lie ever used.

Being deployed in the military

Free trial and return

A member of eBay protection

Using eBay for items listed on other sites

Dang,  no family member died?     How they missed that one?

eBay never assists in sales or payments of items on other sites.  eBay does not ship cars.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

First thing to notice is the CHEAP price.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

As others have stated, we hear about this scam on a daily basis... the "I'm in the military" script is now making the  rounds on instagram as well.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply