cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd situation on buying

Yesterday evening I won an auction.  I won it at 99 cents.  I was busy last night so I came online to pay immediately this morning.  I noticed the seller had already relisted the item, which I thought was odd, but I went on and paid.  

My paypal account said the seller has not accepted the payment.  I've never seen that before.  This is a new seller with a feedback of about 88% (one bad review about him/her overcharging shipping).  I went on and took the chance.  

What are your thoughts on this?  Can they refuse to sell an item that was legitimately won and paid for within about 15 hours?  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Odd situation on buying

The seller probably made a typo or other error in setting up the listing, so that the email address s/he gave as the user ID for his/her PayPal account either isn't one as far as eBay knows or that account isn't one that PayPal allows to accept payment for eBay sales.  If it were properly set up the payment would have been automatically accepted.

Message the seller and explain the situation, asking him/her to check the address in the listing vs. his/her PayPal account.  If s/he has or can get access to the email address in the listing s/he can go to PayPal and add it to his/her account there to get the payment.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

if a typo,there would be a link to cancel (though i haven't seen it in many years).

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It is now the next day, the seller has not accepted the paypal payment.  I wrote a note yesterday morning to the seller about it and the seller hasn't responded to my message. 

I suspect they expected it to sell for more than 99 cents and now they aren't going to ship it.  I should have taken the 88% feedback seriously. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@woodland_gnome wrote:

The seller probably made a typo or other error in setting up the listing, so that the email address s/he gave as the user ID for his/her PayPal account either isn't one as far as eBay knows or that account isn't one that PayPal allows to accept payment for eBay sales.  If it were properly set up the payment would have been automatically accepted.

Message the seller and explain the situation, asking him/her to check the address in the listing vs. his/her PayPal account.  If s/he has or can get access to the email address in the listing s/he can go to PayPal and add it to his/her account there to get the payment.

Does anyone know if you do NOT have a PP cash account set up, what it shows on the ebay end until you accept the money in PP and transfer it to your bank?

I've been noticing more than a few posts lately about showing 'Pending' in ebay, so I am curious.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@oldarkansasfarmhouse

"I should have taken the 88% feedback seriously."

Yep!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

When a seller's low feedback percentage is the result of only one negative feedback, it isn't necessarily cause for concern.  You have to look at the total picture.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply