cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more watchers count for buyers? Finally, thank you!

As a buyer, I just want to thank eBay for removing the watcher count. Seeing how many competitors could always make me more impulsive to buy, since I didn't want to lose out. Not seeing that count is helpful, and I am buying a lot LESS these days. Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: No more watchers count for buyers? Finally, thank you!

"Not seeing that count is helpful, and I am buying a lot LESS these days. Thank you".

@juicydrupes,

You do realize that if someone of influence at ebay read the above statement, it would be a good reason for them to reinstate the Watcher count.  They do not want you to buy less from the site.

As for me, I miss the Watcher count, since I often buy from auctions. Seeing how many others may participate in the auction may cause me to up my Max bid when I snipe.  Especially, if it is something rare I really want for a collection. 

"Seeing how many competitors could always make me more impulsive to buy, since I didn't want to lose out".

If not wanting to miss out means not being able to resist low prices. Remember that is how many people get scammed. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Just what all sellers want to read...I am buying a lot LESS these days.  Put it back eBay!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I still see watcher counts in various places.

eBay is likely experimenting with different formats or thresholds to see what works best to encourage sales.

Obviously as a seller you do not want eBay to put a big "0 watchers" sign on your listing. But if eBay always includes the number of watchers, then buyers can infer there are no watchers if a listing does not include that info.

Better for sellers (and eBay) if there is some ambiguity, so buyers cannot be sure if the lack of a message actually implies a lack of watchers or not.

eburtonlab_0-1681221286744.png

eburtonlab_1-1681221319135.png

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Frankly, that is the number 1 reason why I hate this new system.  If an item does not have any watchers, someone might think that it's not worth even reading the listing.  If they do not read or look, they do not bid.  I do not mind if one of my items shows 5 watchers , even though it could be a bot. By having watchers , others might be interested to see what the item is all about and there is a chance that they will buy. I had more sales when there were watchers.  To the poster, you are correct, with less watchers, you have less of an impulse to read or even buy the listing.    It used to be that even if you looked at your ad, the number went up.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Some listings show the red bar that tells how many watched in the last 24 hours...not as helpful, but not useless.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Given that the OP has 1300/1800 feedback as a SELLER, I suspect this was cleverly phrased sarcasm, but maybe not.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@chris13 Still waiting on that sarcasm font!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy  I am often clueless about such things. Is there a sarcasm font? I find that when I use sarcasm I either AM being snarky or come across as such, both I wish to avoid.

When I read the original post it just 'screamed' sarcasm to me, but then again maybe everyone's response was already in on the game and I am clueless about being clueless? It's happened before. /blush

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@chris13  No sarcasm font yet, but I'll invent it and be rich.  Sarcasm doesn't convey well over the written word.  I didn't read it that way at first, but I just read it again and I agree with you.  Maybe the OP will return and let us know.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Ok. You got me! Pure sarcasm - but I do buy a lot, too...so not too far from the truth.

The watcher count does affect how I approach buying and bidding.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The 'Watcher' count has not changed 1 iota. 

BIN Multi Items will either state how many sold, how many watchers, free shipping (if pertains)... something 'positive' about the item. (If the count of 'watchers' is low, then they are NOT shown)

Been like this for over a decade

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

No - Its changed quite a bit - especially lately.

In fact - there are several variations of these item metrics that appear - depending on what you are shopping for.

Im watching auctions end - and no display of watchers...and I know there are watchers...an item with 6 bidders has watchers!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply