cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Knowledge needed

I have been a member of Ebay since it started and never in my life have I seen such a mess . The sellers on here now have lost all touch with reality. They are buying junk at yard sales and thrift stores and attempting to resell it for more than one can go out and buy it new. I questioned a seller the other day if he had misspriced a item as it was readily availabe anywhere "New" $15 dollars cheaper than what he was asking used ??? He replied by cussing me !!Cameras are something I always have liked and went to the film photography items for the first time in over a year and almost fell over. First film is hard to find and second it is really expensive to have developed and printed not 1 in 1000 camera owners has a dark room to do this themselves. The prices were unreal. I purchased a couple of cameras last year for  .50 cents for one and a dollar for the other which actually were worth at best $2.00 each. Sellers were asking upwards of $150 to $200 for the same thing. One camera I purchased last winter for $20 was being attempted to be sold for anywhere from $99 to $200 with some of these for parts and there are no shops that still work on them. I know from expierence working on a camera is like working on a watch good luck ! I have been reading tht due to above listed sellers doing this that Ebay will probably be shut down by the year 2020 two years away.

I quit shopping at thrift stores last year due to seeing a fist fight break out over who saw a item just brought out for sale by two men with smart phones checking to see what they could list a used coffee maker on ebay ?? I am just too darned ols for this and as my ole Grandpappy told me once "Afool and his money are soon parted" words to live by. Back when ebay first started it was agreat place to get something at a decent price, but for me it has outlived it's life span.

Jim

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

No Knowledge needed

Have you found a place where the items that interest you can be purchased at a more reasonable price?

Maybe it's time to switch gears, Become a seller?
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

We think there is still life here.  It has been a rough road the last year with sales going down for anyone.  As far as anyone over pricing camera.  Well thats up to them sometimes someone will pay 2.00 and sometimes 200.  It just depends on the customer and what the item means to them.  We never did like anyone coming out of the wood work and telling us what to sell thing for.  Just because you wont pay what there asking does not mean someone else would not.  Peoples trash is others treasure.  Best regards

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

It's the sellers camera & they have the right to sell the camera for what they want.  If you don't like it, go buy the new one for $15 cheaper.   It's a simple solution to your rant. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

Why do you feel that an ebay price has to be the lowest?  If you find it cheaper somewhere, then buy it there.  Not everyone has access to the same items across the country and also have them delivered to their door.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

If you don't like the price as a seller is asking don't harass the seller just move on.

Maybe you are undervaluing the items, and others will gladly pay the prices being asked. Did you consider that?

If you can't find the items you want for the price you want, chances are that the sellers ARENT the problem...

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

One would think, if items don't sell, sellers would stop listing or cut the price.......... 

As said, I've sold things for, what to me are outrageous prices, but people have thanked me for having the article "from their childhood".... Most heart rendering one is the PIECE of the top of a candy box.  We got it on the back of a picture..... Better Half loves selling empty boxes, so he researched it and found from a years defunct Candy maker.........he threw up the PIECE of cardboard, a woman bought it for $19, I think it was, and thanked us.  Her father had given her mother that candy for 50 years and she was going to have it framed for Mom........

You may be right on things in your universe......you may NOT be right in the totality that is Ebay. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

Hi Jim. Times change and prices do too.  Everyone can be a seller now including the inexperienced and the uninformed. Meaning that sometimes one must wade thru miles of listings to find a gem. Many lament the changes eBay has gone thru. 

Sellers are free to set their prices at any amount they choose. Since the market is a self-correcting entity, those who overprice their items will either learn or move on. But i think it unlikely that eBay will suffer from it to the point of demise by 2020. But thank you for posting an interesting point and stimulating the discussion.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

Let me start by saying that people are free to ask whatever the heck they want for some old widget, and if someone else is dumb enough to pay for it, it would appear that both parties will walk away happy, so, fine; it's none of my business.

Now, having said that... When I saw this post, I immediately thought of one particular seller who leaves me totally baffled. He's been running (and re-running) a BuyItNow listing for a particular used widget that is clearly broken, as seen in his own photos, although he does not appear to realize that. It could be repaired by replacing the broken component, though that would be about 50% of its customary value on the resale market. 

But that's not why it hasn't sold; similar broken ones are sold every day. The problem here is that he's asking a comfortable three figures for this thing, hundreds of dollars, which is literally double the price of a mint, new-in-the-box example, and ten times what any other used example like his is selling for.

Listing in this manner requires a truly heightened sense of cluelessness, and every time I come across his listing (it's been going for months), I have this little internal debate over whether to break my usual keep-out-of-it rule and send him some kind of note to suggest that he lower the price. On the other hand, he'd need to drop it by 90% just to get it in the ballpark, so I don't think little ol' me is going to achieve that much correction. Some folks are just determined to have their own reality.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

@fern*wood wrote:

Why do you feel that an ebay price has to be the lowest?  If you find it cheaper somewhere, then buy it there.  Not everyone has access to the same items across the country and also have them delivered to their door.

umm, yeah they do. There's this thing  called the internet.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

I found a 36 count set of color pencils that retail anywhere from $70 to $45 at most art and office supply stores at Sam's for $19.95.  I bought a case. Smiley Wink

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

The problem is Many new sellers don't even care what they are selling.

Search the word Rare in Pottery and glass. Those cannot all be rare. People don't care, they are just making it up as they go.
Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

There's a listing I always see coming up that has rotated in and out of active listings for probably 15 years. The seller is asking 20 times more than that item would usually sell for.

After 9/11 I actually started wondering if it was some kind of coded communication because someone can't keep doing it seriously for 15 years can they?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

After listening in on the bankers meeting, It appears not many will be selling on eBay soon.  

They are looking to get rid of new & used sellers. Authorized Big Box only don't want to compete with new & used sellers.  eBay must do what it's told to do or ELSE!!!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

No Knowledge needed

Well Jim....as a crazy seller...lol

I always ask as much as I feel I can reasonably hope to get for an item I have for sale. My premise is, you can always go down, but it's pretty hard to go up after the item has sold because you sold it to cheap 🙂

I can tell you, that you can still get great deals on items sold on eBay. They are a little harder to find just due to how **bleep** ebay search is, but they are all over eBay.

Relative to photography equipment, some of those cameras are coming back in style. I am of the opinion that the millennial peeps have figured out that there is something to be said for a photo album on a bookshelf that can't get erased by a hard drive failure.....Not to mention, 35mm photography offers up a certain quality and character you cannot get out of a digital camera.

I am seeing prices sky rocket for the good stuff that just a few years ago you were lucky to get 20 bucks for.
Message 15 of 25
latest reply