cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare seller :(

Hi all,

I shop too much, lol. Received item damaged and seller wanted nothing to do with it, told me to make a claim with USPS. Yeah that should be fun, then what happens when USPS rejects the claim  down the road and my buyer protection has expired? Also I've heard that they don't cover the shipping anymore. Anyway, I told the seller the shipping insurance is between him & the carrier. Of course he didn't like that and got downright rude with me.

I started a return choosing the reason as 'received damaged'.. He waited until the last minute and 'accepted', which in itself is a mystery because why doesn't he just put an insurance claim in?

Anyway, this seller offers 30 day free returns but his listing says otherwise. His listings state in big bold words that he does NOT accept returns unless it is GROSSLY misrepresented and goes on to describe what that would mean.  So, this seller gets all the benefits of being a seller that offers 30 day free returns, but he isn't doing it.

So, although his 'free returns' shouldn't apply to this case, can he Not get negative feedback because he offers (fake) free returns?? Because I'm tempted. And after he receives the item back, can he can send me only a partial refund?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Nightmare seller :(

Nope, not from what she told me, and I quote what she said  'I do this 8 hours a day, so I KNOW'. 

She stated seller CANNOT file the claim and I lost him money by sending it back because it can't be put back in mail, which I already knew. I repeated that he should have filed then and she repeated that he can't file the claim, I was supposed to, and yes he can refund me half.

She wouldn't even remove the bad feedback he left me, lol. According to her, I'm wrong. 

I wish she had told me that 20 years ago. I have ALWAYS filed the insurance claim for my buyers if something arrived broken, a major headache, luckily it didn't happen much.

I did everything I was supposed to do, sent him pictures of item and packaging. He ignored. Refused to do anything at all so I opened a return. He waited until the last minute then 'accepted', now he received the item back on Friday and won't refund (probably only half) until tomorrow or Wednesday. Then I guess it's back on the phone with ebay to try to get the rest of my money, or to listen to more lies? Not even worth it. 😞  

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Oh, and also when I told her it wasn't packed well so USPS might not cover it, she stated very confidently 'Yes, they will cover it, the seller paid for the insurance'. I said they don't cover poorly packed shipments and again she stated SHE knows, she does this 8 hours a day and they HAVE to cover it.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

If you receive a 50% refund,  you will have to go back to eBay for the other 50.

Not so sure what reporting a seller entails or if you can actually write a paragraph or two and submit it. 

Like the scammer buyers, this seller needs to be on ebay's radar.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

@sunflowers652016 wrote:

Hi all,

I shop too much, lol. Received item damaged and seller wanted nothing to do with it, told me to make a claim with USPS. Yeah that should be fun, then what happens when USPS rejects the claim  down the road and my buyer protection has expired? Also I've heard that they don't cover the shipping anymore. Anyway, I told the seller the shipping insurance is between him & the carrier. Of course he didn't like that and got downright rude with me.

I started a return choosing the reason as 'received damaged'.. He waited until the last minute and 'accepted', which in itself is a mystery because why doesn't he just put an insurance claim in?

Anyway, this seller offers 30 day free returns but his listing says otherwise. His listings state in big bold words that he does NOT accept returns unless it is GROSSLY misrepresented and goes on to describe what that would mean.  So, this seller gets all the benefits of being a seller that offers 30 day free returns, but he isn't doing it.

So, although his 'free returns' shouldn't apply to this case, can he Not get negative feedback because he offers (fake) free returns?? Because I'm tempted. And after he receives the item back, can he can send me only a partial refund?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

First … buyers can't get negative feedback … only positives … since 2008.

Second … No Returns does not cover damaged items. That falls under the MBG.

Insurance is for the seller.  The buyer gets refunded and the seller makes the claim.

If your seller is refusing to refund or insisting that YOU have to make the claim ...

Go to your Purchase History

Select "Return this Item" from the dropdown menu (if there is no big blue button).

Select "Arrived Damaged"

The seller will have 3 days to accept the return, or refund you in full (their choice).

When they accept the return, you will be issued a pre-paid return label.

You will have 5 days to get the item into the mail. Make sure to get an acceptance scan.

When the return is Delivered back to the seller, they will have 2 days to refund you.

If they do not, you can ask eBay to step in to force the refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

If he shipped priority mail, there is automatically up to $50 insurance included so you could just take the item to the PO (they will take it from you) and put in the claim yourself.  BUT if sent First Class you will need to open a dispute and return the item noting that it arrived damaged.  Nobody likes returns but sometimes they are legit.  So open a SNAD dispute in Ebay and return it.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

Insurance is the seller's concern, not yours. If an item is broken during shipment, it is "Not As Described" for sure because you didn't bid on a broken item! If you file a "not as described" claim with eBay the seller should email you a return label at their expense. Return the item and you'll get a full refund.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Something needs to be done about scummy sellers like this. There are far too many TRS sellers using free returns to get the perks, but don't want to do what's required.  I'm a TRS and it makes me sick that there are so many that do what the OP is describing.

Frankly, if a TRS is offering free returns, those return labels need to be automatically sent. No more RMAs so the scummy sellers can torment buyers.  heh, these same sellers are probably the ones screaming about losing buyers. Gee, I wonder why? unamused

Sorry guys, but this really burns my britches.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 37 of 38
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Something needs to be done about scummy sellers like this. There are far too many TRS sellers using free returns to get the perks, but don't want to do what's required.  I'm a TRS and it makes me sick that there are so many that do what the OP is describing.

Frankly, if a TRS is offering free returns, those return labels need to be automatically sent. No more RMAs so the scummy sellers can torment buyers.  heh, these same sellers are probably the ones screaming about losing buyers. Gee, I wonder why? unamused

Sorry guys, but this really burns my britches.

I appreciate the feedback, @southern*sweet*tea. I'll be sure to pass along the sentiment in this thread to the appropriate team. I agree that situations like this can be frustrating. If a seller chooses to accept returns while creating the listing then this will be honored, even if they state something different in the description.

There are business models that require the RMA process to enable successful returns. If a buyer finds that a seller is abusing this process then they can ask eBay to step in and review the return. If the seller accepts returns then we'll be sure that is honored. If the buyer has an issue with a Not As Described item then we'll also be sure to honor the Money Back Guarantee. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 38
latest reply