cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item not covered by money-back guarantee

I ordered a camera from a seller who marked it as despatched but it has not arrived.

The seller has not supplied tracking details and is not responding to messages. Ebay says this item is not covered by their money-back guarantee (wish I’d known beforehand) so what can I do?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item not covered by money-back guarantee

Unfortunately it just says the listing has been removed so I can’t check the category

The removal may help you -- eBay removes listings for violating policy, so eBay may have recognized that the listing was fraudulent. This may speed up the process for getting a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What category was the camera listed in?

Lately scammers have been listing items in categories that are exempt from the standard money back guarantee protections to make it difficult for users to get their money back. If the item was listed in the Business & Industrial Heavy Machinery category and you get a message that only items costing $1000 or more are protected, that is likely what has happened.

You may need to contact eBay directly to have customer service manually start a case for you, since you will be unable to start a case through the normal channels. Use the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page, use the "contact us" link and follow the prompts for your issue. If you see a link to the chat assistant, use that to request a call back or a chat with an agent. Be sure to point out that the item was listed in the wrong category and whether the seller is still registered or not.

If you are unable to get help from eBay, you may still have recourse through PayPal or your payment method.

You can use the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page to request a call back from eBay. Use the "Contact us" link and follow the prompts for your issue and you should eventually wind up on a page with a chat option. Choose that, and the last option that appears in the chat window -- use the "See more" option -- should be "Contact an Agent" to request a call-back if you are in North America.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

File a chargeback on the transaction.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, I used Apple Pay so not sure that I can

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Contact eBay on facebook or call (and keep calling) until you get can open a case for the item or get a refund. 

This is a scam and eBay is aware of it, but it may take multiple attempts to fix this.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thank you, I will do that

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thanks. Unfortunately it just says the listing has been removed so I can’t check the category 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Unfortunately it just says the listing has been removed so I can’t check the category

The removal may help you -- eBay removes listings for violating policy, so eBay may have recognized that the listing was fraudulent. This may speed up the process for getting a refund.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, that does sound promising

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Many thanks for your responses, what a supportive community this is.

Ebay customer support were very helpful and in fact Ebay had not passed my payment to the seller. The item should have been covered by the money back guaranteed and so I have now received a refund.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Just a tip.  ALWAYS pay with a bank credit card, either directly or through PayPal.  You get 180 days to file a chargeback.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Ebay is a joke. They tout the money back guarantee but don't stand behind it. Pay for products not delivered and they say "item is on the way" even though it's clear the item never shipped. I went to my bank and claimed it so I'd get faster action. Ebay wants to give seller an additional 3 days to do something after the delivery date. What a joke. It's clear to me the person took my money and ran, why isn't that clear to Ebay?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@gemgal2012 wrote:

Ebay is a joke. They tout the money back guarantee but don't stand behind it. Pay for products not delivered and they say "item is on the way" even though it's clear the item never shipped. I went to my bank and claimed it so I'd get faster action. Ebay wants to give seller an additional 3 days to do something after the delivery date. What a joke. It's clear to me the person took my money and ran, why isn't that clear to Ebay?

Try starting your own instead of tacking on to already existing topics for aid in times to come.

eBay is waiting on the seller to provide proof that the item was shipped and is in transit etc....

If tracking is not entered and item has not moved eBay will find for you.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@gemgal2012,

Your issue is not the same as the one this topic is about.  Since this topic already has an accepted solution, few will open it to read your post.

"Pay for products not delivered and they say "item is on the way" even though it's clear the item never shipped".

eBay's  Money Back Guarantee (MBG) is one of the better buyer protections offered by online 3rd party retail sites. However, it does have a term that will not allow a dispute to be opened until the last estimated delivery date has passed, and they do not require sellers to ship items with tracking. 

You have done a good job of buying from sellers who have good feedback percentages, so I am guessing you are checking seller's feedback profiles before making purchases.  There is one Asian seller you have bought from in the last 6 months that many would have avoided.  If that is the one you had an issue with then you should have looked before buying from them.

"I went to my bank and claimed it so I'd get faster action. Ebay wants to give seller an additional 3 days to do something after the delivery date. What a joke. It's clear to me the person took my money and ran, why isn't that clear to Ebay?"

eBay gives sellers 3 days to respond to disputes because of the differences in time zones and national holidays around the world.  Maybe the seller was a scammer, did they become no longer a registered user? 

You did a fair amount of selling and should know that sellers can't always be at their computers 24/7.  It can also take some of the high volume sellers a day or so to track down an order.

By going through your bank and not ebay to get a refund, you have placed your ability to use the MBG in jeopardy.  Doing that once will not affect your ability to use the MBG, but you do not want to make a practice of doing that or you may be restricted from using the MBG in the future. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me !

A Drop Shipper did not send item. 

Gave me a number for a tracking company I could not access.

It seems like EBAY is promoting and protecting these frauds!

They will not honor the  eBay Money Back Guarantee...

I Did not get the item I ordered, and they are not giving me MY MONEY BACK !
What are you doing next ?
Is there a way to call ebay

Message 15 of 18
latest reply