cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Cancellation Request After Three Days

eBay says that after you request an item cancellation, the seller has three days to accept or decline the request. If it has been more than three days and the seller hasn't done anything, will the item automatically be cancelled and will I be automatically refunded?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I asked that question when the 1 hour cancellation process* was first rolled out, and I never got a straight answer from eBay.  Please come back and let us know what happens.

If you haven't gotten a refund or the item by the day after the delivery estimate you were given when you paid, you should be able to initiate an Item Not Received to get the refund.  "Should" because eBay doesn't always think things through when they have an idea.  

*Note that the 3 day deadline only applies when you used a particular link for that purpose within 1 hour of the transaction.  If you simply request one in a message to the seller s/he is not required to respond or act at all.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@codu-3879 

No, it will not automatically be canceled.

The seller is the only one that can cancel the order.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I was able to request a cancellation through that special link because I requested it within an hour of purchasing the item. If the seller doesn't accept or decline my request within three days, will my order automatically be cancelled and will I be automatically refunded?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If you haven't paid for the item, after day 4, the seller can cancel the transaction and give you a strike, and IMO, that's a strike you'll have earned. 

Next time, don't bid or buy unless you intend to follow through. Those the the rules.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@codu-3879 wrote:

I was able to request a cancellation through that special link because I requested it within an hour of purchasing the item. If the seller doesn't accept or decline my request within three days, will my order automatically be cancelled and will I be automatically refunded?

If the seller doesn't accept, it likely means she intends to ship and since you've paid, the seller should have shipped it. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

You paid? Then NO, you will not be refunded unless the seller accepts the cancellation request. They can accept, decline or ignore.

However, if you don't  pay and the seller doesn't respond then it will be automatically be cancelled.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I haven't gotten a notification that the item has shipped, yet.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@codu-3879 wrote:

eBay says that after you request an item cancellation, the seller has three days to accept or decline the request. If it has been more than three days and the seller hasn't done anything, will the item automatically be cancelled and will I be automatically refunded?

here is the ebay link for info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/order-cancellation-policy?id=5298#sectio...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Most sellers let you know when they ship and give you a tracking number but it's not a requirement. Since you paid then you need to wait the 3 days to see if the seller will cancel and if they don't then expect your item to be delivered. 

If the seller accepts returns you can return it at your expense and expect the original shipping to be deducted from your refund,  or if they don't accept returns then resell it if you no longer want it.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@codu-3879 wrote:

I haven't gotten a notification that the item has shipped, yet.

The seller is suppose to ship within their handling time, if they dont cancel.  I cant tell you if the seller has exceeded their time frame.  Most sellers do keep a shorter time frame but, some people give themselves much larger timeframes for shipping.  As long as you receive the item by the last estimated delivery date, the seller has followed ebay's rules.

I might make a suggestion here: As a seller, Cancelations are a pain.  I do my best to deal with them in a timely manner no matter what however, I do often wish I had some kind of contact from the buyer explaining the reasoning.  This not only helps me, if there was something I could do to correct the issue but, also motivates me, as a seller, to help the buyer more.

It may or may not work with this seller, but sending a friendly message might motivate them to help you with this process.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Is it more common for a seller to accept an item cancellation request than to decline or ignore it?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Oh, I dont know.  I think most sellers comply with cancelations but, I could be wrong.  To me it's simply a customer service issue.  It maybe an inconvenience but, that same buyer may come back for a different item on a different day.  If I give them trouble they for sure will not be back.  So, I cancel with the hope that they maybe back for a different item that they do need in the future.

Ebay though leaves it up to the seller.  This includes Best offers.  Once you make a best offer, if the seller accepts, they have no obligation to cancel the order.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Luckily, I didn't buy the item with a best offer, so there will be a chance that the seller will cancel my order.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@codu-3879 wrote:

Is it more common for a seller to accept an item cancellation request than to decline or ignore it?

It depends:

The seller may be away from their computer and not see the cancellation - and if they have already shipped it as you have paid, you will just have to wait until you receive it and open a case for change of mind, you will have to pay the return shipping.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 15 of 19
latest reply