cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 23% off a listing price considered a low ball offer?

A seller was recently offering an item for a Buy It Now price of $22.00 + $13.00 shipping. The seller also added "Make Offer". I sent an offer of $17.00. The offer was quickly declined by the seller which also included the following message: "Is this a joke!.. Send another lowball offer like that again.. you'll be blocked!"

Two questions:

• As a seller, generally, do you consider an initial offer of 23% off your listing price a lowball offer?
  • Is the sellers message a violation of eBay policy that states: "They sent threatening messages or used abusive or vulgar language."?

Interestingly, within minutes of sending me that message above, the seller removed "Make Offer" and "Buy It Now" and turned the item into a bidding auction.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Is 23% off a listing price considered a low ball offer?

I like all offers. It at least opens the door for negotiation and I would never talk to a buyer like that.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

When it comes to people wanting a 20% or more discount or anything for that matter, I am reminded of one of my late mother's favorite sayings: "People in hell want ice water too."

OMG! Do you know how many times I heard that saying as a child? I want a candy bar. People in hell want ice water too. Okay I’m getting in the fetal position to cry now. 😂😂

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I've bought many items for 50% off. I saved $100 on one item! I couldn't care less if a seller gets **bleep** off at my lowball offers, if they blocked me it wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The OP makes no mention of the shipping fee.

Shipping is not a part of the Best Offer system.

If the OP made a $17 offer without confirming that the $13 shipping was acceptable, that would be a very lowball offer.

Hmmm ... neither did my post ... did you mean this one for someone else?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

They wanted  $22 or best offer.
With your offer they end up with $12.93 after fees.

I believe on a low cost item most sellers will be willing to discount it 5-10%.

I have run across buyers who expect 20-50% off the price no matter if it's already reasonably priced to begin with.   

The seller's response was unprofessional to say the least, but eBay doesn't referee private messages.  They expect you to hit the back button if you get that kind of response.  Close your purse strings! ZING don't even think about buying from them.  Like someone said, you dodged a bullet.  

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Considering that I get many $10 offers on $500+ dollar items.  No, your offer was fine.   

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

No, not to low to me. We are all grown ups, you can give what ever offer you want. They can decline or accept. As to their threats to block you. If it was me, go ahead and block me. I wouldn't tell them that. I'd just move on. There's lots to buy out there, I would not put up with that kind of attitude. I would laugh it off. Glad there are sellers out there like that, maybe you'll find my auctions. 

Move on and find sellers who respond to you positively  and stick with them showing loyalty.

Take care

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

23% is a gray area. I usually counter between 20-30%

anything over 50% is an automatic BBL

Message 23 of 23
latest reply