cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Fraud

Possible Fraud 

I was bidding for: River Ranch Acres, Florida Vacant Recreational Parcel FLORIDA BIDS ONLY!!! (2 items).

on May 9th, 2019 for this lot (property), after I won the bidding, I received an email from eBay to pay for the item.

I contacted the seller via eBay email to negotiate the payment type. He answered and gave me the 3 options (Wire transfer, Cashier check, and Credit card). I choose cashier check and I requested his contact information.

He sent me  name of a bank, nobody knows this bank, also I asked him to send me his full name,  he sent me three initials letters. Then, I went to my bank and I gave them his info. my bank customer service manager advised me to be very carful and advised not to do this transaction  its not safe because they don't know his bank. Also, they advised me to do payment with credit card and  to call the credit card before submitting the payment.

Then, I asked him to send me invoice in order to pay with credit card via eBay email, we both  agreed to send me the invoice the next day (05/10/2019) within 48 hours of the closing bid. He sent me a very weird invoice via my personal email after five days. I contacted him back and I requested canceling the sell due to his fault, and I notified eBay community about the situation. He refused and send me email back threaten to open unpaid item case. Today I received email from eBay it says:

"This unpaid item will be recorded on your account;

You didn't pay for your item for the last 11 days, so the seller canceled the order and the unpaid item case is now closed. Since the case closed without you paying, we have to record an unpaid item on your account. To prevent this from happening again, please pay within 2 days of committing to buy an item."

I tried to contact the eBay, but unfortunately no answer.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Possible Fraud

@skadhom67 wrote:

Today I received email from eBay it says:

"This unpaid item will be recorded on your account;

You didn't pay for your item for the last 11 days, so the seller canceled the order and the unpaid item case is now closed. Since the case closed without you paying, we have to record an unpaid item on your account. To prevent this from happening again, please pay within 2 days of committing to buy an item."

Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet--both figuratively and literally. If it's the same "River Ranch" these people are discussing, a UID is a small price to pay.

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/97685/river-ranch-hunting-atv-familys-pro-and-cons

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=04-P13-00035&segmentID=1

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

You can appeal ebay's case determination & request that be strike be removed.

Request the rep to review the messages between you & the seller, perhaps you may get lucky.

Good luck

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

Titled property sales are non-binding. Either party can walk away at any time.

Call Ebay, tell them you have an unpaid strike for a land sale and you'd like it removed. Give them the link if necessary:  https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/real-estate-policy?id=4304

"Unlike listings in most other eBay categories, real estate listings are not a binding offer to sell the property shown."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

@skadhom67,

Before buying any recreational vehicle Lot/Property, check first with a Park's Management company, to see if an individual has the right to transfer a lease and/or a lot. Many parks only lease the lots they do not sell them sort of like buying a condo, you may own the space or building, but not the property, and there may be stipulations concerning credit checks and in this instance vehicle/home type or size for the particular lot.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

I agree with you. Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

I tried to call them many times, but no answer. I left my number to call me back, also, no answer.

But, I'm not going to throw myself under the bus and waiting for the eBay customer service to save me.

I think I did my part and its up to them to recorded on my account or not, and I hope someone of the customer service or management read this comments. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

I tried to call them many times, but no answer. I left my number to call me back, also, no answer.
But, I'm not going to throw myself under the bus and waiting for the eBay customer service to save me.
I think I did my part and its up to them to recorded on my account or not, and I hope someone of the customer service or management read this comments.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

Frankly, I would never buy real estate, site unseen, on eBay.  However, since you state that the property is located in Florida, I believe Florida law requires most real estate sales be conducted by licensed real estate brokers.  I also believe that their license number is required to be included in the listing.  You might want to check with the State of Florida's Department of Business & Professional Regulation.

I'm not sure regarding how, if this a "for sale by owner" that the licensing law would enter into it, but you might be able to get more information from the department I mentioned or from the one of the Realtor Associations. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Possible Fraud

I almost got scammed by a buyer for a $8000 dollar watch I was selling...the buyer sent an email that looked exactly like it came from ebay, telling me the buyer had paid to ship item and give tracking number...I called paypal and ebay and they told me it was a fake email and not to ship anything unless you see the money actually in your account because they can generate fake invoices, payment statements etc...they buyer never paid but kept saying he did using fake emails.
While 866-540-3229 is eBay's best toll-free number, The next best way to talk to their customer support team, according to other eBay customers, is by calling their 866-643-1607 phone number for their Fraud Detection department. Hope this helps.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply