cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THIS APPROPRIATE SELLER BEHAVIOR?

Okay, first let me say that I know that there are problem buyers out there. I am not one of them. I leave good feedback 99% of the time. If something on occasion arrives damaged and I can fix it, I send the seller photos and suggest a partial refund. If I cant fix it, I want to make a return. Who wouldn't? I don't have a history of this however, most of my purchase experiences have been great.

I recently bought a small replica clock. Before bidding, I asked the seller if she'd consider adding a Buy-It-Now option, which is not against eBay policy to ask. No reply, which was fine, she didn't have to reply. I told her I'd be bidding anyways - and got no reply. I won the auction and asked her if she'd ship using bubble wrap and a small box versus a padded mailer, which some sellers might use. I didn't doubt her packing abilities but asked this based on past eBay experiences with bad packing. She didnt reply. Today I messaged her again to ask if she could shed light on a tracking number that she sent which only says that she created a label days after paying. 

Her reply was to say, "I'm sure youll be returning the clock. To make a return, you have to...."  I have no intention of returning it! All of my messages to her were friendly, not demanding. I am not a "problem cutomer", but she made me out to be just that. Why would anyone who NEEDS buyers act like this? I place importance on seller-buyer interaction. I sign messsages with my name, some sellers do not, and even if something arrives damaged, which is NOT my usual experience with eBay, I'm civil. I don't get it. 

Can sellers see buyer's history, in terms of opening cases? I rarely do this, but hate the thought that a seller would judge me based on this or legitimate and friendly email requests re: packing or shipping status. The seller almost seems to anticipate bad buyers when they arent there. If the clock arrives in good condition, I'll leave her good feedback, but if not - I'll ask to make a return - and somehow end up fulfilling her assumptions or preordained "prophecy"? 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Want to add: after buying from this seller, I bought brass tacks from a seller that were supposed to be 

1" in diameter, and got 3/4" diameter tacks instead. I asked the seller questions re: a replacement, then told her that I found a use for the smaller tacks and that no return was necessary. Do I sound like a freaking problem cusomer? Good lord. 

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

It's not appropriate. She may have had some and experiences that have made her edgy and overly sensitive to communication from buyers, which she is misinterpreting as indicative of some agenda on the buyer's part to finagle a refund or partial refund.

Nothing you can do about it at this point. Just wait and if the item doesn't show up by the last day estimated,open an INR claim. The seller does not seem open to further communication, so I wouldn't attempt it.

Belle
Message 3 of 59
latest reply

wrote:

Okay, first let me say that I know that there are problem buyers out there. I am not one of them. I leave good feedback 99% of the time. If something on occasion arrives damaged and I can fix it, I send the seller photos and suggest a partial refund. If I cant fix it, I want to make a return. Who wouldn't? I don't have a history of this however, most of my purchase experiences have been great.

The seller offers a partial, the buyer does not ask for it.  Unless the seller asks what the buyer wants.

I recently bought a small replica clock. Before bidding, I asked the seller if she'd consider adding a Buy-It-Now option, which is not against eBay policy to ask. No reply, which was fine, she didn't have to reply. I told her I'd be bidding anyways - and got no reply. I won the auction and asked her if she'd ship using bubble wrap and a small box versus a padded mailer, which some sellers might use. I didn't doubt her packing abilities but asked this based on past eBay experiences with bad packing. She didnt reply. Today I messaged her again to ask if she could shed light on a tracking number that she sent which only says that she created a label days after paying. 

With all due respect, there is too much communication there.  There was no need to tell the seller you would bid anyway.  You just go ahead and bid.  I don't know what you expected her to say to that.  Then you ask about packing after the fact~you might have asked that before if that was a concern.  Then you ask about the tracking number.  Can you see why you might be blocked?

Her reply was to say, "I'm sure youll be returning the clock. To make a return, you have to...."  I have no intention of returning it! All of my messages to her were friendly, not demanding. I am not a "problem cutomer", but she made me out to be just that. Why would anyone who NEEDS buyers act like this? I place importance on seller-buyer interaction. I sign messsages with my name, some sellers do not, and even if something arrives damaged, which is NOT my usual experience with eBay, I'm civil. I don't get it. 

With all due respect, your excessive messages made you out to be that.  They made you appear overly concerned and picky.  Everything was a concern.  That is why the seller thinks you will probably return the clock.  You have had multiple issues every step of the way, so it seems logical you will have yet another.  Sorry but that is how it looks.  You place importance on buyer seller interaction.  Most buyers don't require so much back and forth and I would say most sellers are not accustomed to it.  

There is no requirement to sign your name and doing so does not make a better buyer or seller.   You can do if you want to as a friendly gesture but not everyone is comfortable doing that.

Can sellers see buyer's history, in terms of opening cases? I rarely do this, but hate the thought that a seller would judge me based on this or legitimate and friendly email requests re: packing or shipping status. The seller almost seems to anticipate bad buyers when they arent there. If the clock arrives in good condition, I'll leave her good feedback, but if not - I'll ask to make a return - and somehow end up fulfilling her assumptions or preordained "prophecy"? 

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

As far as shipping status, the listing shows the estimated delivery timeframe.

After the last date in the estimated delivery time frame, plus a day or two, you file an item not received case in the Resolution Center.  

Sellers have handling/processing time and it is not uncommon for them to print a label and not have any movement on the item for a few days.

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

I see nothing wrong with your request. You are purchasing the item, after all.  Perhaps they were put-off as a result of the messages you sent.  It still does not justify them assuming you plan to return unless they are up to no good in my opinon. How a request for bubble wrap and a tracking number, which are legitmate request wrong to anybody is crazy.

She probably did not fufill your request for appropriate packaging or did not ship yet and is annoyed that you have the nerve to make reasonable request. *Sigh* 

Wait and see, hopefully the seller will be ethical and her rudeness just a bad day.

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

wrote:

Want to add: after buying from this seller, I bought brass tacks from a seller that were supposed to be 

1" in diameter, and got 3/4" diameter tacks instead. I asked the seller questions re: a replacement, then told her that I found a use for the smaller tacks and that no return was necessary. Do I sound like a freaking problem cusomer? Good lord. 

So with all due respect, the questions regarding a replacement were superfluous.  Sorry you are having these issues.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

I'm  a buyer and I buy a lot.  There is not usually a need for a lot, or even any, back and forth.

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Although i am sure everything that you messaged your seller  is quite innocent, too much chit-chat from a potentional buyer will often put sellers on edge. and it is really a shame that this happens. however from the sellers stand point, a lot of questions, coments etc. from a potentional buyer does more often than not lead to trouble later down the road. i really do feel your stress but i can kind of understand both sides. that being said however, i think that sellers should always remain polite & respectful no matter what the situation.....just my opinion. good luck & try not to take it personally. life is too short...

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

wrote:

Although i am sure everything that you messaged your seller  is quite innocent, too much chit-chat from a potentional buyer will often put sellers on edge. and it is really a shame that this happens. however from the sellers stand point, a lot of questions, coments etc. from a potentional buyer does more often than not lead to trouble later down the road. i really do feel your stress but i can kind of understand both sides. that being said however, i think that sellers should always remain polite & respectful no matter what the situation.....just my opinion. good luck & try not to take it personally. life is too short...

Possibly the OP thinks it is commendable that he/she is so friendly, but that certainly can come across as too much communication.  I would be embarrassed as a buyer if I sent multiple messages.  

Just my opinion, and with all due respect, but I don't feel the seller was being disrespectful, even though the buyer took it that way.  Seller may just feel she/he is being proactive, that in the stream of correspondence, that will most likely be the next issue on OP's plate.  I understand why the buyer could take offense at that, but seller may have no more meant offense than this OP supposedly did, and is just as unaware of how the communication appears.  

I often find it is best to look at one's actions from the point of view of the other person.

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

lichtpriester wrote:

I won the auction and asked her if she'd ship using bubble wrap and a small box versus a padded mailer, which some sellers might use. I didn't doubt her packing abilities but asked this based on past eBay experiences with bad packing. 

Her reply was to say, "I'm sure youll be returning the clock. To make a return, you have to...."  Why would anyone who NEEDS buyers act like this? 

Can sellers see buyer's history, in terms of opening cases?

If you have packing concerns I suggest sending a message before bidding/buying to ask how the seller plans to ship it. If it's not what you're looking for then move on. Asking for the seller to use a specific shipping method after you've already won often rubs sellers the wrong way, as does implying that they will ship using inappropriate materials.

You asked that question based on past experience, then you wonder why the seller assumes you'll return... same answer... their past experience.

Most buyers don't ask many questions. Those who ask questions after every step of the auction on every topic can set off red flags in a seller's eyes, particularly if they are making special shipping requests or being impatient with tracking.

No, the seller cannot see past cases you've opened.

Neither party was right or wrong here, but it seems both have been burned in the past causing each to be so cautious.

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

I send the seller photos and suggest a partial refund.

Most sellers would regard this as a ploy by a scammer.

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

If not, return for refund.

Can sellers see buyer's history, in terms of opening cases?

We can see your feedback received, but all buyers have 100% positive feedback.

We can also see the feedback you leave.

We can see Bid Retractions.

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Possibly the OP thinks it is commendable that he/she is so friendly, but that certainly can come across as too much communication.  I would be embarrassed as a buyer if I sent multiple messages.  

Just my opinion, and with all due respect, but I don't feel the seller was being disrespectful, even though the buyer took it that way.  Seller may just feel she/he is being proactive, that in the stream of correspondence, that will most likely be the next issue on OP's plate.  I understand why the buyer could take offense at that, but seller may have no more meant offense than this OP supposedly did, and is just as unaware of how the communication appears.  

I often find it is best to look at one's actions from the point of view of the other person.

The seller WAS disrespectful and inappropriate, IMO, and with all due respect.

You never respond that way if you want to come across professionally to a buyer, no matter how pesky and annoying that buyer is being.

Type it if necessary, then delete it.

Did the OP maybe come across as bein a probably a pain and a potentially problematic trading partner? Absolutely! (Sorry, OP, but it's true. No seller can receive that  amount of communication without the spidey-sense going crazy.)

That doesn't make it okay for the seller to come back with a sarcastic response. If the seller were really unsure or even suspicious of the buyer's motives, there are better ways to address those concerns.

Belle
Message 13 of 59
latest reply

4 messages from a buyer before they have gotten it would put me on edge.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

wrote:

I send the seller photos and suggest a partial refund.

Most sellers would regard this as a ploy by a scammer.

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

If not, return for refund.

i did that once and was instantly accused of scamming them. i bought 2 48" black lights but received 24". told the seller i could still find a use for them, just refund the difference. explained that i was still going to buy 48" lights but hated to see them lose out on shipping (almost as much as the lights)  so i would pay what full price of 24".  i was gaining absolutely nothing!!!  they got nasty, i sent pics of their box/shipping label with a tape showing 26" so clearly a 48" light wasnt fitting. in the end, it wasnt worth shipping back so i got a full refund and free lights. they became extremely ignorant after that! i never wanted free lights, nor did i need 24" lights, they are still unopened!   i am sharing this longwinded story because not everyone is scamming, some of us truly will 'make it work' for a partial refund when our ONLY motive is to save shipping.  for what its worth, i will NEVER offer to help again in that situation! i will just return for refund!

Message 15 of 59
latest reply