cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed. How to fix this?

- A few days ago I bought a GPU for $440 which is a price too good to be true (MSRP $600).

- Scammer provided a fake Fedex tracking number.

- I received a notification that my package is delivered, but it wasn't sent to my address and I have PROOF.

- I reported to eBay, but they closed my case because Fedex says it was delivered.

- I called Fedex, and they gave me a PDF of the real shipping address where the "package" was delivered. The scammer sent a package to a warehouse a mile from my house.

- I contacted eBay but I can't appeal because they said it was delivered.

Now, here I am. I'm stuck! What can I do to fix this?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@pragma888 

Contact Ebay and provide the proof that it was delivered elsewhere other than your Ebay shipping address.

Use the following link to click on either "Chat with us" or to request a "Call back":

https://www.ebay.com/help/eua?id=5275&mkpid

Available 5:00 am to 09:30 pm Pacific Time.

Good luck!

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Oh, thank you! I wasn't able to find that link. 

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Have FedEx send you a letter stating that the package was not addressed to you.

File mail fraud and a police report.

Once you have those three, use them to appeal the case.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

A gentleman from eBay sent me a personalized email that says "appeal denied". He said the seller's tracking number says it was delivered. Case closed.

Me: "The package was not addressed to me. I have proof."

eBay: "Tracking number says delivered."

Fedex: "We can confirm this package was addressed to a warehouse a mile away."

eBay: "Tracking number says delivered. Case closed!"

I appeal and select the option titled: "My item was delivered to the wrong address".

eBay: "Tracking number says delivered. Case closed! Ruling in seller's favor!"

I have irrefutable proof from Fedex that the scammer:

- Did NOT address the package to my home.

- DID address the package to a stranger's warehouse a mile away from me.

Proof #1 Fedex sent me a "Proof-Of-Delivery" PDF showing the package was shipped to a warehouse nearby.

Proof #2 eBay can call 800-GoFedEx (800-463-3339) and Fedex will tell them directly that it was not sent to my house.

I'm so dizzy right now. This was a lot of money to me. The scammer is reading this laughing at my pain, I'm sure.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

I think you can do a charge back on your credit card

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

You cannot win a standard "item not received" case if the seller has tracking that shows delivery.

You need to contact eBay via social media and explain that you have a "false tracking" situation, not an "item not received" case.

Good advice for dealing with false tracking:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/I-tried-contacting-seller-i-tried-contacting-fedex-i-tried/m-p/...

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Contact ebay for business on facebook.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into chargebacks.

I'm guessing eBay will tell my credit card provider "Tracking number says delivered. Case closed." and my credit card issuer cancels the chargeback.

Then, eBay turns to me and says: "We were GOING to help you, but you charged us in the back with a chargeback. And, that hurt our feelings so now we're NOT going to help you."

By the way, I noticed my scammer-seller has a 100% rating now. This morning they had an 89% rating. My negative review and others have been removed. The scammer's trap is now ready to catch the next mouse-- err, eBay buyer.

Bravo, eBay. 👏

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Hi eburtonlab, as mentioned above, I appealed and clearly described that the seller did not ADDRESS the package to my home address on file, and that I have proof from Fedex that the seller addressed the package to a stranger's warehouse.

BTW, on Fedex's tracking page, there's a link to "Report Missing Package" and if you put in my home address Fedex says it doesn't match the shipping address.

I recorded a video of myself demonstrating this "Report Missing Package" link using the seller's tracking number.

As a counter example, I recorded myself on video demonstrating "Report Missing Package" using a package I received from Walmart, and the "Report Missing Package" allowed me to open a case. I sent both video examples in my appeal.

eBay's response to my appeal:

I truly understand how disappointing it is when you'd been waiting for your order but it never showed up. Please allow me to check this for you. After checking the transaction details further, based on the tracking information provided by the seller, it shows that the item was successfully delivered to your checkout address on April 9th in Ontario, CA US. You can check the tracking information by clicking on the link below:

<original_friggin_fedex_com_tracking_link>

This has got to be intentional. 

I told them the seller sent it to a warehouse; I have proof; this is the "same zip code delivery" eBay scam. And yet, the response above is what I received.

This is malicious compliance.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@pragma888 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into chargebacks.

A chargeback should be your last option. 

As suggested earlier, go to eBay for business on facebook. Send a private message with a brief description that you're a victim of a "fake tracking" scam. Tell them you have documentation that the item wasn't delivered to you and you need to appeal the case. (You'll be able to upload pictures of the documentation.)

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@pragma888 wrote:

I'm guessing eBay will tell my credit card provider "Tracking number says delivered. Case closed." and my credit card issuer cancels the chargeback. 

File a dispute here if that's how you paid.

dare2046_0-1713074060359.jpeg

Choose that option when tracking was delivered to a warehouse a mile from your house. Upload that PDF from FedEx into the dispute @pragma888 to get your refund.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I appealed and clearly described that the seller did not ADDRESS the package to my home address on file

If you appealed an "item not received" case, you are still pursuing the wrong case.

You need to contact eBay via social media and use the words "false tracking", then provide your documentation. Others in the same situation have done that and gotten a refund.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Hi Alberta, thank you for your advice. So Facebook/Meta where the authoritative eBay customer support representatives can be found? I thought eBay's phone reps would hear my case, but they were just following a script to get me off the phone.  Now I need to create a facebook account, fill out a profile, upload photos, and get messages from people from high school, jump through flaming hoops, because of this scammer. 

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your advice. I am just marveling the Kafkaesque system that is eBay.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@pragma888 wrote:

Hi Alberta, thank you for your advice. So Facebook/Meta where the authoritative eBay customer support representatives can be found? I thought eBay's phone reps would hear my case, but they were just following a script to get me off the phone.  Now I need to create a facebook account, fill out a profile, upload photos, and get messages from people from high school, jump through flaming hoops, because of this scammer. 

Regardless, I sincerely appreciate your advice. I am just marveling the Kafkaesque system that is eBay.

You don't need to do any of that stuff to contact eBay on Facebook - just fill out the brief profile and that's it. No personal involvement.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 37
latest reply