cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report price gouging?

How do I report hand sanitizer being sold for insane prices? 

Message 1 of 304
latest reply
303 REPLIES 303

Re: How do I report price gouging?

ebay clearly is not doing enough to slow this down

On Thursday we were around 20,000 active listings, then 22,000 Friday, today we are now at 26,000 active.  That's not counting the sold listings

If we look at sold listings recently, ebay shows almost 39,000 listings so far for toilet paper.  That's not including any of the cleaners, sanitizers and other high gouging item categories.  Just toilet paper, 39,000 and let's say the average price is 40 dollars per listing sold.  In 1 hour there is over 200 toilet paper listings sold.  In total so far with 39,000 listings at 40 bucks on average that's around 1.5 million dollars transacted on toilet paper in just the last week.

Why is there scarcity.... piratebay.  Ebay's top profit is right alongside these pirates as this is where the action is.  

Message 241 of 304
latest reply

I'd like to report price gouging on your vendors that are selling toilet paper one roll of toilet paper does not cost almost $6 that is price gouging that needs to be corrected you have a lot of vendors on your website that are price gouging people and they don't even deliver the orders immediately you have to still wait
Message 242 of 304
latest reply

Price gouging a non essential hot Christmas toy is one thing, but price gouging on essential items when thousands around the globe are dying, is something else.  

I've spent a whole week reporting listings and sellers on ebay UK..

And it's not just on ebay, B&M stores are doing it, even Pharmacies, but they are getting reported too by the public, and they are being forced to drop their prices.

Message 243 of 304
latest reply

@ear.eama.8gntnyg wrote:
I'd like to report price gouging on your vendors that are selling toilet paper one roll of toilet paper does not cost almost $6 that is price gouging that needs to be corrected you have a lot of vendors on your website that are price gouging people and they don't even deliver the orders immediately you have to still wait

@ear.eama.8gntnyg 

eBay is actively ending listings that are related to COVID-19 Price Gouging.

If you wish to help eBay police the 1.3 Billion active listings, eBay employees have given guidance on how to report these listings (new guidance as of March 21)

All listings have a "Report Item" link.

On a desktop/laptop this link can be found directly above the description on the right

On mobile, the button is "Report this Item", scroll down past "About the seller"

Use the following Menu options:

1. Prohibited and restricted items

2. Price Gouging
3. Household items / medical supplies / hygiene/ other / sanitation

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105

report_gouging.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 244 of 304
latest reply

When you have price gouging listings it only reaffirms the distrust in sellers and Ebay in general. Since Ebay is permitting this I rarely ever buy from here anyway and in the future will go out of my way to shop someplace else. This is sickening. This is Ebay. This is where I no longer shop.

Message 245 of 304
latest reply

Here's the thing, It's great that they actually have a reporting system that is updated in regards to price gouging for Covid-19 but as helpful as it is that people can report it, it really means nothing unless companies have the balls to enforce it so that it makes a difference! You want to send an actual message to these sellers, you ban them from selling on Ebay again or for a time period. You post a warning and if they decide to disregard it than ban them. Whether some listings are for a joke or not, it's all a waste of time and makes Ebay look really sleazy. Why should we have to take our time to report all these listings if all that is going to happen is that they get taken down. Big deal! Try putting some bite into those whimpers than you might see some real results! People are dying and trying to just get some basic necessities
to get by this and we have d-bags responding with "It's a free market" blah blah blah. We're not talking about some vintage video games or rare coins but of course some dummies out there wouldn't know the difference or just don't care so don't give us the "free market" **bleep** as an excuse!
Message 246 of 304
latest reply

If anybody reads this nonsense... Sorry a little frustration dribbling from my finger tips.

Ebay is not taking these listings down. I have reported many Isopropyl Alcohol; not one removed. This fight needs to be removed from Ebay, and addressed at the State, and Federal levels. Since States can only prosecute individuals of their State, formulate well written letters to Governors, State Attorney's, local Councilmen  etc. That is where the result will come from. The internet is written in indelible ink; you can't erase the history. The history shows that Ebay was entirely complicit in allowing this behavior to continue. It is most serious, as it caused the entire shifting of a supply chain from local economies, to online bidding wars, all in the quest for Americans to have a fighting chance of not contacting the Coronavirus. Once word was spread by the gougers that Ebay is the wild, wild west, that you can make a killing from buying out local inventories, and gouging the prices on Ebay, Every slimy, morally bankrupt rodent, scurried from their nest to wipe out Walmart's and the likes, and they have managed to shift the entire supply chain for critical items.

Message 247 of 304
latest reply

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE REPORT LISTING IS UNAVAILABLE, I HAVE TRIED FOR DAYS NOW TO REPORT TOILET PAPER BEING OFFER FOR $25,000.00 FOR A 6 ROLL PACK. EBAY IS COMPLICIT IN PRICE GOUGING.

Message 248 of 304
latest reply

Mr Lincoln, you do report it, it is against the law to profit at times of an emergency such as these times. Price gouging in CA can result in a hefty fine and one year in jail.

Message 249 of 304
latest reply

another avenue to inform ebay of the ongoing abuse is their ethics group.  I have had correspondence with one of their employees.  They acknowledge this is a high priority, I just find it sad that since I started my communication with them the problem just gets worse with more listings, more sold listings and more abuse.

Ebay is going to pay millions when this is all said and done.  I just hope their penalty is more than the "cost of doing business" that many corporations will turn a blind eye and appease the public.  Maybe this is the thing that takes ebay stock down to the point they are acquired and the bad actors who allow this site to be the harbor of theives will stop.  Send them an email, get some documentation because as the AG offices need some history you will help them in their cases against Ebay and those thieves they promote.

askethics@ebay.com

By the way, today listings for toilet paper are at 28,368 listings, continuing to grow (can't seem to show any progress in last 5 days I've been reporting)

Sold items of toilet paper = 40,856 products

Sure seems ebay has done very little to curb this problem

Message 250 of 304
latest reply

you-know-why-selling (2104 ) is price gouging toilet paper.
Message 251 of 304
latest reply

@meschach92_*05d wrote:
(NameRedacted ) is price gouging toilet paper.

@meschach92_*05d 

eBay is actively ending listings that are related to COVID-19 Price Gouging.

If you wish to help eBay police the 1.3 Billion active listings, eBay employees have given guidance on how to report these listings (new guidance as of March 21)

All listings have a "Report Item" link.

On a desktop/laptop this link can be found directly above the description on the right

On mobile, the button is "Report this Item", scroll down past "About the seller"

Use the following Menu options:

1. Prohibited and restricted items
2. Price Gouging
3. Household items / medical supplies / hygiene/ other / sanitation

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 252 of 304
latest reply

i wish i knew , and the price of yeast is INSANE too , these people should be banned
Message 253 of 304
latest reply

31,401 active listings of Toilet Paper as of now

44,738 sold....

"yes we are working on it"

Message 254 of 304
latest reply

Greetings, I went on the eBay site and googled Lysol spray & other disinfected spray & saw out rages prices. A can of 12.5 oz the seller was selling for $40.

How can eBay allow or permit this. I hope something soon is done to stop this being we have people who are dying.

Message 255 of 304
latest reply