cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess I know how it feels now

I have seen other buyers complain about their highest winning bid getting cancelled when the seller didn't get a high enough amount they really wanted for the item.   Guess I understand a bit how that might feel now.  

Here is what happened to me today.  

Item listed that I was looking for BIN $75 w/best offer 

I make an offer for $60 because it was a used item and by seller's own description, in "acceptable" condition.   

I get notice my offer was declined.  I might've made a new offer or just BIN for the $75 if it has simply been declined.   However - they now jacked up the BIN to $125!   Not even a counter offer or anything - just raised the BIN price.  Salt in the wound that the notice message states "How Badly Do You Want It?"   Perhaps if the item were brand new or in better condition, I might be willing to pay the much higher price.    But not to this seller.   I know they have a right to make the price whatever they want, but feel it was kinda stinky to do it that way.   I just don't want to do business with someone who would use that tactic.   I will continue to look elsewhere. 

Many sellers blame Ebay, China,  the postal service and especially bad buyers, for drastic loss of sales.   Sometimes a seller pushes it pricewise and their greed costs them a sale and any future business from this potential buyer.  

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Guess I know how it feels now

'how bad do you want it' never sat well with me. auto generated so inapropriate most of the time, i already decided i didnt want it! i get the general idea, your window shopping, moved on and they send you a reminder that it is still available. unfortunatly, it is often read as a tease or arogant attitude that they have it and if you expect to ever get it, your going to have to do whatever they want! something along the lines of item still available or are you still interested might work better, after all,  we already know the cost and value and if on the fence, 'how bad do you want it' sends me away!

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

So Ebay puts that somewhat tacky subject line when an offer is declined (I haven't made an offer for a while)  - for real?    With a winky face nonetheless.    I honestly thought that the seller added it somehow.    I didn't know.   

How badly do you want [item] : ...? 😉

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

It reminds me of some of the sellers at my local flea market~~they don't want to lower their prices a dime and they look at you like "either pay my price or move along"~~you want it bad enough you will pay their price.  Not me~~I can find the same item in the thrift shop or on ebay~~ no problem.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

'how bad do you want it' never sat well with me. auto generated so inapropriate most of the time, i already decided i didnt want it! i get the general idea, your window shopping, moved on and they send you a reminder that it is still available. unfortunatly, it is often read as a tease or arogant attitude that they have it and if you expect to ever get it, your going to have to do whatever they want! something along the lines of item still available or are you still interested might work better, after all,  we already know the cost and value and if on the fence, 'how bad do you want it' sends me away!

Ditto.  I don't care for the verbage, either.  It implies you didn't do enough to get it the first time, and that you failed.  This isn't going to make anyone feel better about losing the item.  Verbage suggesting it is still available, are you still interested, is much better, IMO.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

Thanks~~I've never noticed that.  OP made it sound like the seller added it to the listing.   It seems kind of crude that ebay would do that.

Your point? Not like it's the first time ...........

And I hate the 'You didn't win this time, but here are similar items' and all they send you are repops.

If I hadn't read this thread -- and let's face it, relatively very few buyers ever would, like the OP I'd think the seller was making an arrogant and snarky response to my bid.  I certainly wouldn't buy from him, and I'm not sure I'd even bother looking for the widget elsewhere on eBay.

This is a very poorly thought out idea, even for the home of bad ideas.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

That's just how some sellers are, I'd avoid him as they will soon be complaining why they are not making any sales.

They left retail to become their own boss but don't realize that they need etiquette, no matter how awesome your store is or how important you are nobody's going to buy from you if you are snobbish. 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I agree with most of what you've written, but it appears that in this instance the seller neither composed nor sent this message;  while appearing to be from the seller it was eBay's handiwork.  The seller may never even know it was sent;  all he knows is that someone who was interested enough to have made an offer will no longer communicate with him.   (Seller's  probably thinking something about rude buyers.)

My practice in my business when I wrote something such as a newsletter or bulletin meant for a wide audience was to have three or four people read it before it was sent.  I wanted them to find any expressions which might mean one thing to me but which could have an entirely different  meaning or tone to others. (Using idioms to non-native English speakers would frequently cause problems.)

"How ya like them apples?" might mean one thing to me if I'm selling fruit from my orchard but something insulting to a would-have-been customer.

eBay seems not to have understood any of this.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

KAT..

Ebay is sending buyers a message saying "How badly do you want it"?  I am literally  shocked that  Ebay would send such a message  to a  buyer!Smiley SurprisedSmiley Mad

And of course rhey have made it look as though the  Seller swas the one who sent it. 

Message 24 of 24
latest reply