cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess I know how it feels now

I have seen other buyers complain about their highest winning bid getting cancelled when the seller didn't get a high enough amount they really wanted for the item.   Guess I understand a bit how that might feel now.  

Here is what happened to me today.  

Item listed that I was looking for BIN $75 w/best offer 

I make an offer for $60 because it was a used item and by seller's own description, in "acceptable" condition.   

I get notice my offer was declined.  I might've made a new offer or just BIN for the $75 if it has simply been declined.   However - they now jacked up the BIN to $125!   Not even a counter offer or anything - just raised the BIN price.  Salt in the wound that the notice message states "How Badly Do You Want It?"   Perhaps if the item were brand new or in better condition, I might be willing to pay the much higher price.    But not to this seller.   I know they have a right to make the price whatever they want, but feel it was kinda stinky to do it that way.   I just don't want to do business with someone who would use that tactic.   I will continue to look elsewhere. 

Many sellers blame Ebay, China,  the postal service and especially bad buyers, for drastic loss of sales.   Sometimes a seller pushes it pricewise and their greed costs them a sale and any future business from this potential buyer.  

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Guess I know how it feels now

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

. . . after submitting a new offer for $50.

With a notice message that says, "This badly."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Don't take it personal. Ebay has been forcing Best Offer on listings when the seller doesn't want it. If the seller removes it from the listing, ebay sneaks it back on. They have even gone so far as to add the offer button to AUCTION listings. I suspect your seller does not want to take offers and has had BO forced on him.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@kiraalt wrote: 

Many sellers blame Ebay, China,  the postal service and especially bad buyers, for drastic loss of sales.   Sometimes a seller pushes it pricewise and their greed costs them a sale and any future business from this potential buyer.  

You are absolutely correct.

An item is only worth what people are willing to pay to acquire it.

It is you as the buyer who decides if

a particular item is worth paying $125

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

If I didn't intend to have Best Offer on my auctions or sales, I think I would add that into the body text, bold and in red: "This auction does not really have Best Offer. It is something ebay has added without my consent. Please do not take it personally if I ignore your offer."

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@kiraalt wrote:

I get notice my offer was declined.  I might've made a new offer or just BIN for the $75 if it has simply been declined.   However - they now jacked up the BIN to $125!   Not even a counter offer or anything - just raised the BIN price.  Salt in the wound that the notice message states "How Badly Do You Want It?"   Perhaps if the item were brand new or in better condition, I might be willing to pay the much higher price.    But not to this seller.   I know they have a right to make the price whatever they want, but feel it was kinda stinky to do it that way.   I just don't want to do business with someone who would use that tactic.   I will continue to look elsewhere. 

Sometimes a seller pushes it pricewise and their greed costs them a sale and any future business from this potential buyer.  

Bit of a dog act that.

Having the BIN maybe applied by ebay doesn't excuse them form this dog act.

I'd walk away from that seller too.... after submitting a new offer for $50.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

laughing laughing laughing

I would.

Might as well get a laugh out of it, rather than get upset.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I know that feeling, but don't take it too hard. Seller probably found out his item was under-priced. What's the item no.?

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I wouldnt take it personally, it is the sellers item.  If they want to raise the price it is theirs, if they want to lower the price it is theirs.  

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Just playing devil's advocate, but is it possible the item was on sale?  I always run sales of 10 to 30 percent off, and every once in awhile get a message from a buyer when the sale ends "why did you jack up the price????".  I didn't... the sale just ended, and the item returned to normal price.  As Jen mentioned, ebay is adding best offer to a lot of sellers listings without warning too.  Have you considered sending the seller a message asking what's up?  A small bit of communication tends to go a long way.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Just for clarification.   I don't think this was because Ebay forced Best Offer on the seller.    Here is what it seemed like from my perspective.   And no, the seller did not have it on sale that expired (in 2 hours after I made an offer).    I prefer not to give the specific item number.    

1 - Once they got some interest in their item, they determined to try and get more for it, plain and simple.    It is possible they felt it was undervalued at first or the seller thought I was "lowballing" them.   I felt I made a fair offer based on 75% the original BIN price and general condition of the item.    My disagreement isn't that they rejected my offer.    It is that they raised the BIN price $50 seemingly simply because I made one.  

2 - Bait and switch?  That is get interest with a low BIN price then raise it?  Possible.    

At any rate, I am over it.   Moving on.   Just didn't like what the seller did, even though they are in their rights to determine whatever asking price they want.   

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Oh and yes, I did message the seller when I got notification that my offer was declined and saw the price raised.   I asked them what was up.    I have yet to receive a response.  

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

It's possible that if the seller used a "sell similar" to list the item they forgot to change the BIN price from the similar item they had listed.  Maybe they didn't realize that until after they received your offer?  I find it hard to believe a seller would add "how bad do you want it"?  Since we can't see the listing I will still find it hard to believe the seller made that statement.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

It's possible that if the seller used a "sell similar" to list the item they forgot to change the BIN price from the similar item they had listed.  Maybe they didn't realize that until after they received your offer?  I find it hard to believe a seller would add "how bad do you want it"?  Since we can't see the listing I will still find it hard to believe the seller made that statement.

Kat, Ebay sends out the message, how bad do you want it?  It is not sent by the seller.  It is Ebay generated.  So you are right~seller didn't make that comment but Ebay did.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Thanks~~I've never noticed that.  OP made it sound like the seller added it to the listing.   It seems kind of crude that ebay would do that.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply