cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Scam

I think I have been scammed. I ordered an item shipped via FedEx. I got a delivery confirmation but no package, and I was home that day, all day. I contacted FedEx and spoke to 4 different individuals. I was told that the package was left at my front door (they quoted me my address) as it did not require a signature. I was told by 2 of the individuals that FedEx does not have accountability for their delivery drivers and that they have no evidence that the package was actually left at my front door. After I purchased the item, which said that there were more than 5 available, the listing was removed from eBay. Then I found 2 other sellers on eBay who are shipping the same item from the same location at a similar low price. I asked them if they would be willing to ship the item via UPS or USPS, I even offered to pay an additional cost but they refused. Doesn't anyone know how this scam actually works? How do they get FedEx to say they delivered a package without there actually being a package delivered? Or am I just crazy? I have an appeal with eBay but I doubt they will do anything with FedEx saying they delivered it.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: FedEx Scam

Doesn't anyone know how this scam actually works?

@garwilk-36 

Yes, we do.  Generally, it is referred to as the "fake tracking scam."    When a buyer is a victim, it typically goes like this:   Sometimes"real" tracking number closest to your location is purchased by the seller to satisfy the requirement of "delivery confirmation".  Other times a "cheap trinket" is  sent to a delivery address in your zipcode. 

You as the buyer, get notice of delivery, and get nothing.   You file for "Item not received" and get the typical you lose notice saying the tracking says delivered.  You appeal, you lose.  You call regular lower tier customer service, and you lose again.  If you file for a refund from your credit card company, eBay will reply with the same "dubious" delivery notice and you may lose once again unless you are clear on the issue. This is NOT a regular "item not received" issue, but a fraudulent transaction.  Unless you point out irregularities in the tracking information, nobody is going to check.  There have been occasions where the tracking was initiated PRIOR to your purchase, or for a 30 lb. box, when your item was less than a pound.  

Since you have a FedEx number, enter it here:

https://www.ship24.com/

It will tell you where and when the tracking was initiated, the size/weight, and the street address that the parcel was delivered (not yours) .   Might be a nice idea to make a copy of this information, since you are going to need it.   There is something that can be done, but it is NOT going to be through the usual chat or callback options in customer service. 

eBay has a very good Money Back Guarantee

UNLESS

You are a victim of the fake tracking scam. 

You can get help for your issue. Typically it requires that you have some documentation from the carrier that the tracking number is NOT related to a parcel shipped to your address. That is sometimes difficult to obtain. For FedEx it is usually pretty simple. For USPS parcels, it may require a visit to your local Post Office. If your seller is already Naru'd (no longer a registered user) that is a good thing, too. It means eBay already knows about the scamming adventures, and does not want to lose anymore of eBay's money as a result.

Basically, you are going to have to contact eBay via the big blue SEND MESSAGE button on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

The eBay staff that monitors the messages here are well aware of the fake tracking scam. Better yet, they actually have the authority to do something about it. Typically you will need to message with your name, contact information, user ID, item/transaction number, any documentation you may have about the parcel/tracking, and that you are a victim of the fake tracking scam. You need to mention that your 'seller' is no longer a registered user as well if that is the case.

Some have reported recently that the eBay reps that monitor this protal do not want you to enter your contact information until they ask. Your user ID, should suffice for the initial contact. 

The eBay rep usually will solve your problem and issue your refund the same day.  If by chance, you get thrown under the bus, there is always the option to file with your card.  DO NOT DO THIS until you a finished with the process described above ^^^^^^. 

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you so we can advise others.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Doesn't anyone know how this scam actually works?

@garwilk-36 

Yes, we do.  Generally, it is referred to as the "fake tracking scam."    When a buyer is a victim, it typically goes like this:   Sometimes"real" tracking number closest to your location is purchased by the seller to satisfy the requirement of "delivery confirmation".  Other times a "cheap trinket" is  sent to a delivery address in your zipcode. 

You as the buyer, get notice of delivery, and get nothing.   You file for "Item not received" and get the typical you lose notice saying the tracking says delivered.  You appeal, you lose.  You call regular lower tier customer service, and you lose again.  If you file for a refund from your credit card company, eBay will reply with the same "dubious" delivery notice and you may lose once again unless you are clear on the issue. This is NOT a regular "item not received" issue, but a fraudulent transaction.  Unless you point out irregularities in the tracking information, nobody is going to check.  There have been occasions where the tracking was initiated PRIOR to your purchase, or for a 30 lb. box, when your item was less than a pound.  

Since you have a FedEx number, enter it here:

https://www.ship24.com/

It will tell you where and when the tracking was initiated, the size/weight, and the street address that the parcel was delivered (not yours) .   Might be a nice idea to make a copy of this information, since you are going to need it.   There is something that can be done, but it is NOT going to be through the usual chat or callback options in customer service. 

eBay has a very good Money Back Guarantee

UNLESS

You are a victim of the fake tracking scam. 

You can get help for your issue. Typically it requires that you have some documentation from the carrier that the tracking number is NOT related to a parcel shipped to your address. That is sometimes difficult to obtain. For FedEx it is usually pretty simple. For USPS parcels, it may require a visit to your local Post Office. If your seller is already Naru'd (no longer a registered user) that is a good thing, too. It means eBay already knows about the scamming adventures, and does not want to lose anymore of eBay's money as a result.

Basically, you are going to have to contact eBay via the big blue SEND MESSAGE button on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

The eBay staff that monitors the messages here are well aware of the fake tracking scam. Better yet, they actually have the authority to do something about it. Typically you will need to message with your name, contact information, user ID, item/transaction number, any documentation you may have about the parcel/tracking, and that you are a victim of the fake tracking scam. You need to mention that your 'seller' is no longer a registered user as well if that is the case.

Some have reported recently that the eBay reps that monitor this protal do not want you to enter your contact information until they ask. Your user ID, should suffice for the initial contact. 

The eBay rep usually will solve your problem and issue your refund the same day.  If by chance, you get thrown under the bus, there is always the option to file with your card.  DO NOT DO THIS until you a finished with the process described above ^^^^^^. 

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you so we can advise others.  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@garwilk-36 wrote:

I think I have been scammed. I ordered an item shipped via FedEx.

I got a delivery confirmation but no package, and I was home that day, all day. 

What's the weight and dimensions at the FedEx website? And @garwilk-36 what should the weight be for your item?

6duf0ugfsh0hsdfhg0hs00sd0fdh0gs0sod6.jpg

And if that's wrong

- click "Contact us" at the far bottom here, or

- reach out to eBay here,

to ask eBay to review the FedEx tracking and issue your refund.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Wow! I am so grateful for the reply. I will follow all of your advice and be sure to let you know how it goes. I don't know why I feel better knowing what happened and how but I do, so even if I don't get a refund I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks! I will look into this and repost once I have more info. Again I really appreciate the support.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Capture.PNG

This is what ship24 gave me for my tracking number. I don't even know what this means, how could FedEx be confused by this? Anyway this should help a lot with getting a refund. The shipping weight and dimensions were feasible unfortunately. Thanks again. I will update the post when I get more info.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

eBay refunded the item based on my appeal! But they said it was because the item was stolen from my porch (probably because I have a voicemail from FedEx saying they left the package at my door without a signature). Unfortunately, this isn't true, I am grateful to have the refund, but I won't be satisfied until eBay looks into the two other user names who are attempting this scam and refused to ship the item to me via UPS or USPS even when I offered to pay any additional costs. This affects more people than just me, I can't leave it alone.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

After I purchased the item, which said that there were more than 5 available, the listing was removed from eBay.

@garwilk-36  

That statement indicates that there is some (known by eBay already) funny business going on.  

Have you already filed an eBay claim and been denied?  

Is this transaction still in your purchase history?  

Who gave you this tracking number in the first place?  

I take it you don't live in Japan....LOL? 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Have you already filed an eBay claim and been denied?  

I asked eBay to 'step in' and help me out with the issue and was denied. Then I filed an appeal and started doing some research. Then I found this site and created a post. And just recently eBay refunded me saying the item was 'stolen from the front porch'.

Is this transaction still in your purchase history?  

Yes but come to think of it the posting said it was removed by eBay. Maybe they are becoming aware of something but I want to give them the ship24 thing and make sure they address the real issue and the other two postings that popped up after my order (they weren't there before).

Who gave you this tracking number in the first place?  

It was an email from eBay saying the item had shipped and here is the tracking number.

I take it you don't live in Japan....LOL? 

California. And the item was supposedly delivered February 5th not December 17th. That is why I can't understand why it would confuse FedEx. I literally talked to 4 different people in 4 different locations including two FedEx ground contractors ('cause apparently ground is different from the rest of FedEx) and everything about the delivery seemed copacetic to them.

Anyway thanks again. I have information that may be able to help protect people in the future. I plan to call FedEx as well just to ask them why this is possible and why this is dysfunctional and tell them what is going on. Probably won't make a difference but if they would just take a **bleep** photo of the delivery this issue would disappear overnight.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

My best advise is to NEVER ship or receive Fedex again !!  ever since Raj subramaniam took over as CEO of fedex that company has done a 180. Prices raised, non existentant customer service outsourced to India.  The new fedex will NEVER pay a damage claim. Your box can be delivered run over by the truck, looking like it was pounded by a sledge hammer , and it will always be your fault.. I always ask a seller before purchase if they can ship any other option but fedex.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The same thing happened to me. In my case there was a proof of delivery,  and somebody signed for the package. I contacted FEDEX and they said the tracking number I gave them was delivered to a different address. I appealed to Ebay, thinking they would refund my money. Ebay refused to refund my money because they said the item had been delivered. Ebay wouldn't  take the time to call FEDEX and verify my story.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply