cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay wont refund high value purchase that was not received by buyer

We made a purchase of almost $7,000.  The method of shipment from the seller restricted delivery, thefore fedex returned the item to the seller.  We have asked for a refund from EBAY and have been denied.  

Consequently after item was retuned to EBAY sell via FEDEX we still havent a refund and the seller has the items back up for sale on his ebay store.

The money back grantee by EBAY is not real and the site is plagued with scams.  Be cautious!  Ebay wont do anything and some sellers are dishonest.  there  is no protection for the buyer with EBAY.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Have you filed an appeal for reconsideration ?

If yes

What position is ebay taking in this matter ?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hi @clhild-53 

I don’t fully understand why the item was returned to the seller … or why you were refused a refund … but you should be able to get the charges reversed by your credit card company.  

Phone the number on the back of your card, and explain what happened.   Emphasize that your item was delivered back to the seller AND that they already have relisted it for sale.

I’m really sorry that this happened.  Good luck!  😊

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

What do you mean by "the method of delivery restricted delivery?" Was a direct signature required and you weren't there to sign for it? 

If that happened then delivery was refused and you lose a not received case. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@clhild-53 wrote:

We made a purchase of almost $7,000.  The method of shipment from the seller restricted delivery, thefore fedex returned the item to the seller.  We have asked for a refund from EBAY and have been denied.  

You have 180 days from payment to file a dispute with PayPal here if that's how you paid. While

-- eBay considers a refused* delivery to be the same as delivered so the buyer is not covered for a refund and the seller keeps the returned item,

-- PayPal won't allow the seller to keep both the item and the money and sees a refused delivery to be the same as Item Not Received, to get a full refund. 

nh7235_0-1688925026545.jpeg

Otherwise @clhild-53 file a CREDIT NOT PROCESSED chargeback with your card issuer. 

nh7235_1-1688925269707.jpeg

You card issuer considers refused delivery to be a valid method of return, to get your full refund.

*more broadly, UNABLE TO DELIVER e.g. Return to sender, Address unknown, No such number, No such zone, we had a quarrel, a lover's spat

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@clhild-53 

I can't see any purchase of that value but the one neg FB you left was for an item not received $73.15 and looks to be beyond the date for the MBG.

Did this expensive transaction take place on the eBay platform??

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

FedEx will not deliver to post office boxes.

Is that the problem?

EBay does not require the seller to refund anything if the address supplied by the buyer is "undeliverable".

Is that the problem?

EBay does not require the seller to refund until he receives his item back (and in good shape, which is another question). This is true even if the seller has a No Returns policy but demanded the return.

Is that the problem?

You may be able to "appeal" eBay's refusal to Paypal if you used that, for 180 days from payment. But the item must show that the seller has it back before refunding you.

You may be able to "appeal" to your credit card. Chargeback policies vary from company to company.

Don't start another claim until the first has completed. Payment processors are alert to "double dipping" scams and your legitimate claim may be mistaken.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the reply.  The challenge started with method of shipment from the seller, to where a signature was required to receive the item.  Which we were not able to sign for because no one was home.  We contacted FEDEX to hold the package at a location, that did not work because of the method shipment made via FEDEX  delivery, would only allow the shipper / seller to have item on hold.  We contacted the seller / shipper to request item held at FEDEX which he would not do!  therefore we were never able to receive the items.

The seller claimed to EBAY that he did make request to FEDEX for hold,  However FEDEX has no record of such request.  Clearly by following FEDEX tracking the item was never held at a FEDEX location for pickup.  

It seems to be rather straight foreward,  We paid for items and were not able to receive the items, we did not request the complex shipping method, the seller did such on their own.  we asked seller to contact fedex to resolve the problem, and fedex or the shipper dropped the ball.  I suspect that it was the shipper / seller that did not follow thru.

Since seller is now reselling the items on thier EBAY site, and ebay won't do a refund, nor will the seller.  We will go down the path or dispute with credit card company, then if that doesn't work.  we will sue both seller and ebay.  this is a matter of principal v monies at this point.  I suspect that any judge could easily cut thru the documentation and see our side.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@clhild-53

"The challenge started with method of shipment from the seller, to where a signature was required to receive the item. Which we were not able to sign for because no one was home. We contacted FEDEX to hold the package at a location, that did not work because of the method shipment made via FEDEX delivery, would only allow the shipper / seller to have item on hold. We contacted the seller / shipper to request item held at FEDEX which he would not do! therefore we were never able to receive the items... The seller claimed to EBAY that he did make request to FEDEX for hold, However FEDEX has no record of such request. Clearly by following FEDEX tracking the item was never held at a FEDEX location for pickup".

Hopefully, it has been less than 30 days since the delivery attempt. If it has you will have to contact ebay through either their Facebook, or Twitter social media sites. (links below) But in order to get a rep from those sites to find in your favor, you will have to do some leg work to get the info needed for them to reverse the decision.

What you will need to do is go to a FedEx store and bring a copy of your Order Details info, that has the tracking number on it with you. If you used a portable device to make the purchase, bring it with you to show the clerk. What you want to ask them to do is to check the address on the shipping label, and check the package type/size/weight to see if it was appropriate for what you bought.  If that info matches up.  Then you want to ask what the hold time frame was for the item, in case you were not able to be home for the first delivery attempt.  Then ask the clerk if the seller made a request to extend the hold time frame.

If the address on the label and package info does not match your order details, ask the clerk to write a note to that effect on Fed Ex stationary.  They can only write in general that the label address did not match yours, or that the package info was not appropriate for what you bought. They cannot give the specifics of addresses or package types.  If the hold terms were never requested to be extended by the seller, have them write that on the note as well.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can contact ebay using one of the links below. You will need to have the seller's username, and the 12 digit (with no hyphens) ebay item number.  In the message body explain that only one delivery attempt was made, and that the package was immediately returned due to the seller's instructions, and they did not try to change it.  If it is needed also add that the label address and/or package info did not match what it should have been.  You can add a Clear photo, or scan of the note to the claim. Then sign it with your real name and ebay username.  The social media reps should be able to get back to you within 3 days, with an answer.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

In the future I strongly suggest that you check the feedback profile pages of each seller you intend to buy from, before bidding on or buying their items.  On the profile page if the seller has received neutral or negative feedback, click on the numbers of them in the box, to read only those comments. Never go by a feedback percentage alone. From what I can see most of the sellers you have bought from so far are either located in China, or drop ship from there.  Never buy from a high volume seller who has less than a 98.6% rating.

"Since seller is now reselling the items on thier EBAY site, and ebay won't do a refund, nor will the seller. We will go down the path or dispute with credit card company, then if that doesn't work. we will sue both seller and ebay. this is a matter of principal v monies at this point. I suspect that any judge could easily cut thru the documentation and see our side"

Your card provider or a judge would need the same info you will have to get from FedEx to file a dispute through ebay, and you cannot sue ebay per the terms of the user agreement you acknowledged when you signed off on it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

We did not request the complex shipping method, the seller did such on their own.

On their own? Signature delivery is not a complicated shipping method. Don't  you know that eBay REQUIRES signature delivery for items costing over $750? 

In addition  most sellers insure valuable items which if it's over $200 the carrier will ask you to sign for the package.

FEDEX doesn't  return a package after the first try. 

You are incorrect about only the  seller is able to request a hold.  It is only true if you waited too long to pick up the package and caused the item to be returned. At that point only the seller could have it redirected.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/hold-at-location.html

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

We did not request the complex shipping method, the seller did such on their own.

On their own? Signature delivery is not a complicated shipping method. Don't  you know that eBay REQUIRES signature delivery for items costing over $750? 

In addition  most sellers insure valuable items which if it's over $200 the carrier will ask you to sign for the package.

FEDEX doesn't  return a package after the first try. 

You are incorrect about only the  seller is able to request a hold.  It is only true if you waited too long to pick up the package and caused the item to be returned. At that point only the seller could have it redirected.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/hold-at-location.html

^^^ This. I had an adult signature required on an item sent from Walmart.  I didn't realize it would be but I was actually able to forward it to Walgreens for me to pick up there.  I had the choice of a hold and forwarding to a location to pick up when convenient. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Items that are 'attempted delivery' with a 'signature'- a card is left stating 'will attempt delivery tomorrow'? Did you get that?

As stated by others- the 'signature' was NOT a seller 'choice'- it is a REQUIREMENT and even you would require it even if it wasn't (For a $7k item, you bet all 'sellers/shippers' would). 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the detailed information.!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I did appeal the decision, upon appeal no one contacted us for details, and appeal was denied within about 15 min of request.  Sure seams to me that ebay does not follow thru.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply