cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay forcing us to enter payment details before bidding. Cant request invoice for combined shipping?

Ebay won't let me bid on something without putting in payment details before I bid now. I want to (and often do) bid on multiple items from the same seller and request an invoice for combined shipping. Ebay is telling my I have to put in my payment details first so the item can automatically be payed for if I win. How the heck is this supposed to work with combined shipping? If payment is automatically taken I can't wait till the other items finish and see if I win. I have to be able to request an invoice and choose my payment option after for combined shipping... otherwise it does not work... What if I need to move money around and choose a different method? I have to go in and manually change things every single time? Please for the love of god quit changing things that work fine. You're only screwing things up!!!! Not bidding tonite since I don't see how to make this work other than spending extra money on individual shipping for each item the seller is selling which is just ludicrous.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebay forcing us to enter payment details before bidding. Cant request invoice for combined shipp

This option is seller dependent (initiated by the seller/optional).....

I wish they would "iron out' the combined shipping issue with this though....that seems to be the major drawback

most sellers will refund the difference to you, but that does not fix the problem....

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Re: Ebay forcing us to enter payment details before bidding. Cant request invoice for combined shipp

Ebay won't let me bid on something without putting in payment details before I bid now. I want to (and often do) bid on multiple items from the same seller and request an invoice for combined shipping. 

@followthedragon92 

Once your buyer ID wins the new "ebay lottery" and are forced to give a payment source first, the option to combine items for a new invoice for your auction wins is removed. 

Sellers can opt out of the requirement, but most don't even know that eBay dropped the requirements on their account with the default to YES. 
Some sellers have figured it out, however, and are removing the requirement.   Until you run across one that doesn't require it, your options to combine items is GONE.

eBay claims this is supposed to reduce non-payers.  eBay is  using this method instead of getting rid of non-payers, and makes more money as a result as they force more Buyer IDs into the program.  They neglected to inform sellers that this also discourages long time, PAYING buyers as well.  

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Ouch! I have 4 credit cards on file and 2 credit accounts on file. How does eBay know which one to charge me? I keep buying from them all and not just one.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I get they say it's to get rid on non-payers, but I've been on ebay for... i don't know 15+ year and never failed to pay. It's unjustly punishing many people. They should just I don't know.. ban people that have multiple instances of not paying. They could automate this very easily. Also, turning it on by default and forcing sellers to opt out is just stupid on their part.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Some sellers would, but that leave you at the mercy of the seller, and adds an extra layer of complication for both the seller and the buyer. Also as you said, it doesn't fix the problem. 😕

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

How does eBay know which one to charge me? 

@12345jamesstamps 

When your buyer ID is enrolled in the new "punishment camp" you will be required to pick a DEFAULT.  That is the one they will use.  The DEFAULT choices leave off a good number of other options as well. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I guess I will have to wait until it ask for me to pick a default...I don't see it in "payments".

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

This morning I could bid on items as usual and then this afternoon eBay is requiring me to use a credit card or a PayPal credit card- and agree prior to bidding to pay via one of these methods, and without getting a choice of shipping method or combined shipping, or the ability to pay with a gift certificate.  I don't want to have to pay for an item of less than a few dollars with a credit card. That's why I generally use a gift certificate for small purchases. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I guess this could be one of the

" magical" changes & innovations of which ebay boasted 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Also, when you are prompted to add a payment method before bidding there is a link at the bottom that says "Tell us what you think". You can click this to give them feedback about the new system. Unless they change things, I won't be bidding on anything that forces me to put in a payment method first. If they don't revert this, I'll just cancel my ebay.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps 

One of your payments is already set as default.

When you are required to provide payment prior to bid or offer, you can choose one of your pre-set payment methods, so even if you don't want to use the default one you can choose another.

Not all payment methods work though. Some have said things like Pay-in-4 (I'm guessing that's installments) doesnt work. I know giftcards and rewards points don't work. Not sure about PayPal.

Credit cards definitely work.....

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

EBay punishes sellers if their metrics are "too high"

EBay allows sellers to "punish" (block) buyers who have too many unpaid items within a certain amount of time

Why doesn't EBay make this "pre-payment" system one that is used for non-payers? If someone doesn't pay for one or two items ("three strikes you're out", but honestly, don't give them 3 chances) put them in this system/requirement

Everyone starts out without it, and if you don't pay, you're enrolled in this for a period of time. After a period of time, if you don't pay again, you're enrolled longer.

First offense, 1 month. Second offense, 3 months. Third offense, 1 year. Fourth offense, permanent.

I don't know. I think my idea needs to be ironed out but sounds better than the current idea. Sellers were always pushing other sellers to set the unpaid item requirements, try to squeeze buyers who don't pay for items... This would automatically achieve it.

Best of all, take the Unpaid item block policy. Stop letting sellers block buyers for unpaid items. Just roll out this policy, non-payers are forced to pay upfront. Then it solves all the problems and buyers are free to buy and less restricted (by seller blocks/restrictions).

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

"punishment camp"???

I have ALWAYS paid immediately or immediately upon combined shipping invoic received. This s not a "punishment camp" policy, it appears to be universal.

(I can bid on one British seller's items, so there must be a way for sellers to opt out.)

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Exactly. Well put. 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply