cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate item listings using the same photos

I've noticed some listings that use the same pictures and are created as different listings even though they have been sold. How is that possible? I've fairly new to eBay and am wondering if these listings are scams or not. Below is a picture of the listings. 

lefo_4931_3-1686017954056.png

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@lefo_4931,

What you are seeing is two different listings, offered more than once by two different sellers at different times.  The reasons for that happening are most likely covered by reasons B) & C) given by @stainlessenginecovers  . 

Just because items get relisted does not indicate they are scams.

The pair showing the original box with them, ended with a best offer on May 27, and was relisted on June 2.  Meaning the 1st buyer either did not pay or requested cancellation. 

The pair without the box, was first listed on May 26, and sold on May 31, and had 19 bids on the listing. They were relisted on June 1.   That seller has (3) feedback from over a year ago for buying only. Since they had not sold on ebay before they probably did not know, about the 21 day hold ebay places on all new seller's first few payments. On their sold item  page they saw the payment status showing as Pending, if a payment was made. 

As an inexperienced seller they may have thought that payments would be immediate.  Only an inexperienced seller would list an auction for 3 or 5  days only.

Their listing that ended on June 3 w/ no bids, probably happened because the previous bidders didn't want to bid on the relisted auction. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Doubt there is any issue here as

a.) authentication guaranteed which means they go to the 'authentication facility' before going to the buyer

b.) seller could have more than 1 but just using same photo

c.) some you posted are 'completed/sold' which the buyer may not have paid if seller doesn't have 'Immediate Payment Required' set up. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Those items most likely sold before but the buyer never paid to the seller so sellers relisted.

All 4 of those listings have ended. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Judging by the dates, I would say that non-payers is the right answer.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@lefo_4931,

What you are seeing is two different listings, offered more than once by two different sellers at different times.  The reasons for that happening are most likely covered by reasons B) & C) given by @stainlessenginecovers  . 

Just because items get relisted does not indicate they are scams.

The pair showing the original box with them, ended with a best offer on May 27, and was relisted on June 2.  Meaning the 1st buyer either did not pay or requested cancellation. 

The pair without the box, was first listed on May 26, and sold on May 31, and had 19 bids on the listing. They were relisted on June 1.   That seller has (3) feedback from over a year ago for buying only. Since they had not sold on ebay before they probably did not know, about the 21 day hold ebay places on all new seller's first few payments. On their sold item  page they saw the payment status showing as Pending, if a payment was made. 

As an inexperienced seller they may have thought that payments would be immediate.  Only an inexperienced seller would list an auction for 3 or 5  days only.

Their listing that ended on June 3 w/ no bids, probably happened because the previous bidders didn't want to bid on the relisted auction. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for the concise and accurate information.

In my case I am not new to eBay. 

I bought a Japanese sword from a dealer I have known for many years. The sellers are located in Hiroshima Japan. The duplicate listing with the same photos appeared on a seller in Tokyo Japan. One price was listed as $600 while another was listed at $1100. After I purchased the sword from my friend, the duplicate listing remained at $1100. It is still there now. As a courtesy, I contacted the other dealer in the event that he/she was listing this for the seller I know. All emails were ignored, and the sword remains for sale at $11.00. I have paid for the sword already and await shipment. 

Is there something I am missing here? I attempted to report it to eBay but the form did not go through. Maybe you can shed some light on this issue.  Thanks! Rich

Message 6 of 6
latest reply