cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone here enjoy multiple item variation listings?

Anyone like that drop down menu that lets you choose from a bunch of similar products?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Does anyone here enjoy multiple item variation listings?

Surely you jest. Variation listings are a festering boil on ebay's behind, and the only people who like them are the scammers that use them to get high search placement, while never intending to sell the actual item for the listed price.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Like anything else, when properly used they can be a benefit.

Or not.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

eBay's intention for variations listings is that they should be used for items that are identical except that they come in actual variations like different colors or sizes.  Not for a "bunch of similar products." That's not really a variations listing, it's a sneaky "choice"  listing.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I enjoy the use of variation listings when I have a product that I've been able to acquire where I might have multiple sizes and colors. It saves me money from having to list each item individually - but... variation listings are being abused by sellers to gain visibility when they throw in an item that is nothing like the listing title and sells for a low amt of money. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@nocrwrote:

Anyone like that drop down menu that lets you choose from a bunch of similar products?

I liked the first one I saw, where a seller had a single listing for an item that came in 10 colors and 10 sizes (all at the same price), instead of 50 listings for "widget size 1 pink" to "widget size 10 off mauve". 

Now most of what I see are just gaming the system, and are just wear and tear on my back button.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I think they are good for items like 

Shoes

Sheets

Curtains

Same item clothing (size/color variations)

Readers

Health and Beauty items (size/color variations)

and other like products that I can't come up with now.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

eBay's intention for variations listings is that they should be used for items that are identical except that they come in actual variations like different colors or sizes.  Not for a "bunch of similar products." That's not really a variations listing, it's a sneaky "choice"  listing.

I think they should make all the variations the same price, how about you?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Like anything else, when properly used they can be a benefit.

Or not.

exactly.  multi-variation listings can work well if a buyer wants to buy several of the variations instaed of jumping between 20 or 30 separate listings.   That's why I do them.  But I don't throw in completely unrelated items for .99.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@nocr wrote:

Option A: shop from a seller's well-organized multivariation listing of related items.   All I have to do is add the variations that I want to my cart and then checkout.  

or 

Option B:  shop for the same items from potentially hundreds of separate listings.   

I'll pick option A every time.  And if the price for some variations is more than others, there will always be some buyers who don't mind paying the price shown for a hard-to find variation.    The decision to purchase something or not is a buyer's choice. 

As for sellers who list upsells (i.e. cheap socks to compliment a shoe listing) , yes, they should be reported.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If Ebay made the same price requirement that would completely stop the misuse. I agree with you.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply