cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curency Conversion Charges & Other Transparency Issues.

I am tired of some Foriegn Sellers (Chinese) who ask to be funded with US Curency and then deposit into a Chinese bank which triggers a Currency Exchange Fee. Before I continue Ebay I do check where the seller is located but there are chinese sellers who actually accept US funding who are located in China. Its not about the extra charge that the problem. I a buyer makes several purchases during the particular time frame, espeacially if there are a few Cinese Sellers its extremmly difficult to find the associated Ebay Tansaction that the conversion fee is added to, this can mean a phone call to the bank. this takes time , it takes time when shopping to click through several screens just to find out if a seller is from China. Now I usually don't buy unless the shipping is from the US. Ebay shopping is taking more time because you might have to click through several sellers to find one that is actually based in the US. And there are those who are based in China that do accept US funds (this probably has to do with drop shipping, there simply is no real way to weed the sellers who deposit US funds into foriegn accounts. This is a transparency issue. The charges are not disclosed (not about the $$$$ guys its about the extra work, Yes I can like the millions of others just keep quite and just do the extra work and pay the extra money too.  And if you contact the seller as I do (because Ebay needs to fix their platform or the sellers need to ask for the proper funding) they either play dumb or there really is a communication barrier. In todays society I don't discriminate against Foriegn Sellers (I do discrimanate against shipping location). Seller need to know that a buyers time is more important than spending a few  extra dollars. I think part of the issue is The manufacturer (supplier) obviousy has a store front in the U.S. (it can even be Amazon). I also believe that some of these seller Intentionally list Prices in US curency to get more buyers because they can decieve the buyer thorugh the lower price due to the curency exchange. I aways wanted to buy bulk products from foriegn markets (Some are hard to find here in the US) and resale in the U.S. but with drop shipping and liabilitiy issues it just not cost effective. this is why so many sellers are selling from Amazon base. If you find the product in the U.S. and its a US Seller you are paying twice as much for the same item that now is shipped from a U.S. store front. So heres the truth If you try to save money you get riripped off and if you spend more money you get ripped off. Again Ebay does not care about buyers getting ripped off.  They make it hard and extreemly inconvienant to file lagitamte complaints. there are no options that actully apply that would enforce compliance on this issue. And there is no way to enforce sellers to honor their listing after 30 days. Thats is seller can list items practically any way they want as long as it resemble the product in the picture. Ebay motors is a joke sellers are alowed to list products with extranded warrenties but after 30 days they can do whatever they want. If you tell the truth out here they sensor you. They have forced buyers not to buy Auto Parts on Ebay. why else to you see all the adds for Ebay Motors Instead of fixing the proplem they throw mony away on adds hoping to bring in new unsuspecting customers. Its just bad policy if they would just listen they could etically fix the problems. who don't k  there are     

Life and death are certain. It is what we do between that matters.
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Curency Conversion Charges & Other Transparency Issues.

The fee I think you are complaining about has nothing to do with currency conversion or eBay.  It is charged by YOUR bank or credit card company when they detect that the payment is going "cross-border" to a non-US account, regardless of what currency it is in.  Supposedly this is to cover extra costs of record-keeping and reporting such cross-border payments.

What does your statement showing the fee actually call it?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Paragraphs are your friend.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@mikescustomlumber 

When you purchase from an international seller, the BUYER pays the currency conversion fee if applicable. 

For example, if you are in the US, and the buyer only accepts EUROS, then there will be a fee for YOU to send the Euros to the seller.  Since I have not purchased from an international seller in years, I do not have any information as to the "transparency" of said transaction.  It used to be just "built in" to the price a buyer paid with nothing mentioned about the added fee for converting currency.   It used to be more 'transparent' when PayPal was the money manager, and there were always the usual complaints about the "inflated" rates they charged. 

Sellers presently also pay an additional fee if the payment instrument (PayPal or credit card) was from an international destination/location.  This is NOT related to currency conversion, but only related to where the payment originates.  Sellers are charged this fee even if they ship are paid in USD and ship to a US address. 

Of course this does not address the issue of our illustrious sellers from China who "pretend" to be US sellers.  If they only accept payment in the currency of their country.....nobody is talking.  You see USD from these sellers, though with current requirements to have a US bank account I doubt they do. 

Thank you for bringing up this topic. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@mikescustomlumber wrote:

are there k c’mon who. problems the fix etically could they listen just would they if policy bad just Its. customers unsuspecting new in bring to hoping adds on away mony throw they proplem the fixing of Instead Motors Ebay for adds the all see you to else why. Ebay on Parts Auto buy to not buyers forced have They. you sensor they here out truth the tell you If. want they whatever do can they days 30 after but warrenties extranded with products list to alowed are sellers joke a is motors Ebay. picture the in product the resemble it as long as want they way any practically items list can seller is Thats. days 30 after listing their honor to sellers enforce to way no is there And. issue this on compliance enforce would that apply actully that options no are there. complaints lagitamte file to inconvienant extreemly and hard it make They. off ripped getting buyers about care not does Ebay Again. off ripped get you money more spend you if and off riripped get you money save to try you If truth the heres So. front store. S.U a from shipped is now that item same the for much as twice paying are you Seller US a its and. S.U the in product the find you If. base Amazon from selling are sellers many so why is this. effective cost not just it issues liabilitiy and shipping drop with but. S.U the in resale and US the in here find to hard are Some markets foriegn from products bulk buy to wanted aways I. exchange curency the to due price lower the thorugh buyer the decieve can they because buyers more get to curency US in Prices list Intentionally seller these of some that believe also I. Amazon be even can it. U.S the in front store a has obviousy supplier manufacturer The is issue the of part think I. dollars extra few a spending than important more is time buyers a that know to need Seller. location shipping against discrimanate do I Sellers Foriegn against discriminate c’mon I society todays In. barrier communication a is really there or dumb play either they funding proper the for ask to need sellers the or platform their fix to needs Ebay because do I as seller the contact you if And. too money extra the pay and work extra the do just and quite keep just others of millions the like can I Yes, work extra the about its guys $$$$ the about not disclosed not are charges The. issue transparency a is This. accounts foriegn into funds US deposit who sellers the weed to way real no is simply there, shipping drop with do to has probably this funds US accept do that China in based are who those are there And. US the in based actually is that one find to sellers several through click to have might you because time more taking is shopping Ebay. US the from is shipping the unless buy c’mon usually I Now. China from is seller a if out find to just screens several through click to shopping when time takes it, time takes this. bank the to call phone a mean can this, to added is fee conversion the that Tansaction Ebay associated the find to difficult extremmly its Sellers Cinese few a are there if espeacially, frame time particular the during purchases several makes buyer a I. problem the that charge extra the about not Its. China in located are who funding US accept actually who sellers chinese are there but located is seller the where check do I Ebay continue I Before. Fee Exchange Currency a triggers which bank Chinese a into deposit then and Curency US with funded be to ask who Chinese Sellers Foriegn some of tired am I 

There are zero problems paying sellers in China, whether they list in USD, or Canadian dollars for example. It's actually so much better now, now that eBay is the payee, and gets paid ahead of the seller in China. Any 1.65% fee is charged to the seller in China, and the buyer only sees a "pay this amount" and no more.

nh7235_0-1682898495647.jpeg

The proposed currency exchange rate is presented up front, set in stone. So buyers can abort if they wish, before ever making payment.

Then the payment is a fixed amount which will never change after payment because

-- that is the precise amount, regardless any fluchuasians, of any refund, chargeback, or payment dispute

-- unlike the exchanges of old, when we would risk getting back less (or more) than we paid.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I have made alot of Foriegn purchases, I can only say what I've experienced. If the seller list a different currency by bank does not have a an extra charge but if seller asks for US currency and deposits it into a foriegn back my bank calls it and exchange fee itherway it works ou to be about the same. It sometimes works in my favor. Honestly I have never had any problems with any other foriegn seller it has always been chinese. propably 1 in 4 Will ask for US dollars and deposit in a chinese bank. the other 3 may or may not be based in the US but don't present a problem. Bfore posting this I did a search looking for Chinese asking for Yuan Curency I could not find any they all ask for USD. I remember when you would see chinese asking for Yuan quite frequently but I honestly have not seen these listings latley. How ever I did come across a Chinese seller asking AU,  I figured it was a drop shipper requirement.            

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

kath
Really! I'm not here for Langage Arts Leason, maybe your your talents would be better spent teaching foregn sellers.   
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Itty

I have pushed this before and Ebay did back me up saying the Seller was not being transparent. This is even more hassle though. I just don't believe Ebay and Sellers realize how much time and reseach that honest buyers spend shopping here. At least I know how much time I spend out here and I am sure there are buyers who just accept these annyances as part of  shopping on Ebay.  But I feel like I am spending way too much time and working way too hard to keep from being ripped off. I seems you can find literally anything out here and thats the cool part but the rest is really a pain. Yet I can say most sellers are respectable, honest and hard working. its just the one out 8 to 10 that make it miserable. I just think Ebay could do something to make it better , I just don't see alot of effort from Ebay to make it safe out here. Aside from my Language Arts skills I think I'm an honest buyer. It's just getting harder to buy on Ebay. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@woodland_gnome wrote:

The fee I think you are complaining about has nothing to do with currency conversion or eBay.  It is charged by YOUR bank or credit card company when they detect that the payment is going "cross-border" to a non-US account, regardless of what currency it is in. 

Yep. If I use my credit card to make a purchase in one of my Japanese apps that has a US/global version (which means they have an associated US-based payment account), I will not get charged a foreign transaction fee regardless of whether the payment is made in dollars or in yen. If I use my card for a purchase in a Japan-only app that has no US/global version (and therefore has a non-US account), however, I get charged a foreign transaction fee.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

nh

I challenge you to find a chinese seller who list Yuan as their payment currency. I tried for about 1/2 hr to find a chinese seller who who list Yuan ans their currency if they are out there I have not seen one for quite awhile. I used to see them all the time but not lately. I did see a chinese seller list AU as their currency and yes the conversion was there.

Pehaps you can direct me on how to find it on Pay Pal as I have looked the conversion but I have not seen it yet. Still my point is that its becomming more and more difficult to shop on Ebay. If it weren't for the hard to find items I would rather pay more to avoid wasteing hours shopping and digging for specs and info which is also getting scarcer. I often find myself having to cross reference with other sellers just to get the specs. and thats not a garantee that the items are the same. It all adds up to Ebay becomming more hassel

than it's worth. I'm sorry but it's true.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Itty

Yes the buyer is supposed to pay the exchang rate for international transactions. Check it out... the products are being shipped from the U.S. Some of these sellers  even though they are from over seas list the payment currency as USD and there is no additional charges. I hope I am not being misunderstood its not the charge or extra fee that concerns me. It's the not knowing untill it shows up on my bank statement. again if I made several purchases I don't know which item created the fee. Now I have to talke time to call the bank which now days requires being put on hold for 15 minutes not including having to register the extra charge. It's a snow ball from hell.    

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

kath
Really! I'm not here for Langage Arts Leason, maybe your your talents would be better spent teaching foregn sellers.   

It has nothing to do with langage [sic] arts leasons [sic]. It has to do with no one wanting to read through a huge unbroken block of text, and of being considerate enough to make your issue as easy to digest as possible, particularly when you're asking for help from a group of volunteers. As for foregn [sic] sellers, at least we have Google Translate for their questions.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I am tired of some Foriegn Sellers (Chinese) who ask to be funded with US Curency

and then deposit into a Chinese bank which triggers a Currency Exchange Fee. 

Where [cf.] they stick their money e.g. in a [sic] Chinese bank, after you [id.] pay eBay (then eBay pays them) is illeverlant. 

nh7235_0-1682937369800.jpeg

1. The [sic] [sic] fixed amount you pay in your currency

2. is the exact amount you will be [sic] refunded in your currency

on a* return, chargeback, or payment dispute. Even if there are fluchuasians between payment and refund, you will not [sic] earn or lose a shilling. This holds even if [sic] you see EUR, GBP, etc. and so on on eBay.

* [sic]

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I appreciate your posting on this matter.

In spite of receiving discouragement from North American sellers, I have proceeded to purchase goods from China.  In fact, I purchased pairs of dress sandals from a couple of sellers based there.

I don't recall having an issue with fees, but there have been instances where I find out, weeks after buying, that the item is not in stock.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Kat

I'm not asking you to read it. and then coreect my grammer. I shouldn't have to rant in the first place, and if I felt that Ebay was a safe and convienant place to shop I would not be out here complaining. This should concern everyone including sellers.

Regardless of what you or anyone else thinks I'm not the only one effected by the new policy changes   Ebay used to be a safe, convienant place to shop, It's not anymore and if you weren't busy trying to correct peoples grammar you  might be able to contribute something valuable. You could at least Try (pretend) to stay on topic. I want Ebay to be a safe place for everyone. The bottom line is Sellers can say just about anything to sell products and They are not held accountable for their own listings. If they are using a warrentee to help sell a product it becomes contractual. If they don't back up0 their own list warrentee they should not be allowed to sell Period.

Ebay Motors and their adds are a joke who wants to buy parts and pay a mechanic to put them in only to have the parts fail 60 days after install. Sellers do not stand behind the warrentees they claim no do they forward manufacturers warrentee info. I don't care how you try to justify this it's just wrong, and ebay allows sellers to continue to do this. If the litsing says lifettime warrentee then the cotractual should  be reconised and enforced. Refunded and seller made to properly list their products. I refuse to buy any Auto Parts on ebay for this reason. but I degress this to is a bit off topic.  But it a pet Pev of mine.    

You should be proud I added Paragraphs just for your convienace.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply