cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Sellers Getting Worse?

I have ordered a lot from China over the years and have had problems here and there. I don't mind waiting a month to get certain things and plan accordingly. But, I have not had as many problems as I have in the past year. I would say about 90% of my orders are either incorrect (completely different than the description/images, or wrong item) or never arrive. I have noticed many sellers have extended the delivery estimate out months after the purchase date to prevent you from filing claims with them (does ebay even have a limit on that?) I have had sellers offer to resend "lost" items that they never resend, then it is too late to file a claim or leave negative feedback.

I have started filing claims and leaving negatives all the time as soon as something is wrong which I hate doing. I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt or a positive if they fix my issue.

I want to believe most of these people are just doing their best and things are getting lost here and there but more sellers I've dealt with overseas have been shady than not at this point. And, it's only on ebay. I am wondering if things have gotten worse for others or if I am just having bad luck.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@11strigiform11,

"I would say about 90% of my orders are either incorrect (completely different than the description/images, or wrong item or never arrive)"

Ultra high volume sellers have always had issues with shipping the wrong items, due to sales volumes, and the chinese especially will substitute one item for another if they run out of stock, of the listed item. Sometimes items aren't shipped at all, if out of stock, or an order falls between the cracks. 

"I have noticed many sellers have extended the delivery estimate out months after the purchase date to prevent you from filing claims with them (does ebay even have a limit on that?)".

eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  starts the day after the last estimated delivery date, and is good up to 30 days from that date. The only thing you can't do is leave feedback if an item's last estimated delivery date is over 60 days from the purchase date, and you do not get the item or the wrong one is sent. It is your responsibility as a buyer to be aware of the MBG terms, and to file the appropriate disputes, and or leave appropriate feedback before time runs out.  Better yet limit your buying from china.

"I have had sellers offer to resend "lost" items that they never resend, then it is too late to file a claim or leave negative feedback... I want to believe most of these people are just doing their best and things are getting lost here and there but more sellers I've dealt with overseas have been shady than not at this point.".

Chinese sellers started using the "resend" ploy the day after they were first allowed to sell on the site. They are very polite in the way they go about doing that, but the politeness is how they scam people out of their money. They know they can stall most people until the 30 day limit has passed to open a dispute, then they cease communicating. Since you keep having the same problems repeatedly, why keep making the same mistake and buying from chinese sellers, especially those with less than a 99% feedback rating.  Look at their feedback profiles. Some of the sellers you have bought from have hundreds of negatives, and since you know they scam people into losing the ability to leave feedback or file disputes, you should figure they would have probably twice as many as are displayed.

"I have started filing claims and leaving negatives all the time as soon as something is wrong which I hate doing. I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt or a positive if they fix my issue".

As others have said, if you use the MBG too many times, ebay may limit your ability to use it at all. being trusting is nice, but when doing that becomes a problem, it is time to stop trusting those who do not deserve your trust. Look at feedback profiles before buying from any seller, and use the back button when a foriegn shooting star seller has less than 99% rating.  Most of the items sold by the chinese are sold by many sellers, so pick the ones that are reliable.

FYI, the new batch of sellers from India, aren't any better.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

The the risk you accept when ordering from China. China gets its own special rules on eBay. Their policies as far as shipping ect. are different than ours.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

You could solve your problems...

1. By actually looking at the feedback of the sellers you choose to buy from (not just the % which is mostly terrible anyway).

2. Stop buying from China & support your local sellers.

3. Being proactive & using the eBay MBG rather than leaving a meaningless neg when the item is 10 days overdue.

4. Being aware that PayPal allows you to file INR up to 180 days from date of payment.

5. If you insist on continuing to buy from China then stop believing their delaying/scamming tactics...it is their national sport to put something over the gweilos.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Buy American, because it matters. Good Luck to you.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@11strigiform11 wrote:

I have ordered a lot from China over the years

And therein lies your problem. I learned a LONG time ago to not purchase items on Ebay from sellers located in China. It hasn't gotten worse...it has always been bad.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@11strigiform11

Be aware that you can be banned from eBay's MBG. Don't know how many claims you can file, but I've read from buyers that have been banned.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

@11strigiform11,

"I would say about 90% of my orders are either incorrect (completely different than the description/images, or wrong item or never arrive)"

Ultra high volume sellers have always had issues with shipping the wrong items, due to sales volumes, and the chinese especially will substitute one item for another if they run out of stock, of the listed item. Sometimes items aren't shipped at all, if out of stock, or an order falls between the cracks. 

"I have noticed many sellers have extended the delivery estimate out months after the purchase date to prevent you from filing claims with them (does ebay even have a limit on that?)".

eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  starts the day after the last estimated delivery date, and is good up to 30 days from that date. The only thing you can't do is leave feedback if an item's last estimated delivery date is over 60 days from the purchase date, and you do not get the item or the wrong one is sent. It is your responsibility as a buyer to be aware of the MBG terms, and to file the appropriate disputes, and or leave appropriate feedback before time runs out.  Better yet limit your buying from china.

"I have had sellers offer to resend "lost" items that they never resend, then it is too late to file a claim or leave negative feedback... I want to believe most of these people are just doing their best and things are getting lost here and there but more sellers I've dealt with overseas have been shady than not at this point.".

Chinese sellers started using the "resend" ploy the day after they were first allowed to sell on the site. They are very polite in the way they go about doing that, but the politeness is how they scam people out of their money. They know they can stall most people until the 30 day limit has passed to open a dispute, then they cease communicating. Since you keep having the same problems repeatedly, why keep making the same mistake and buying from chinese sellers, especially those with less than a 99% feedback rating.  Look at their feedback profiles. Some of the sellers you have bought from have hundreds of negatives, and since you know they scam people into losing the ability to leave feedback or file disputes, you should figure they would have probably twice as many as are displayed.

"I have started filing claims and leaving negatives all the time as soon as something is wrong which I hate doing. I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt or a positive if they fix my issue".

As others have said, if you use the MBG too many times, ebay may limit your ability to use it at all. being trusting is nice, but when doing that becomes a problem, it is time to stop trusting those who do not deserve your trust. Look at feedback profiles before buying from any seller, and use the back button when a foriegn shooting star seller has less than 99% rating.  Most of the items sold by the chinese are sold by many sellers, so pick the ones that are reliable.

FYI, the new batch of sellers from India, aren't any better.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never seem to have that problem ..I only buy  Mostly Sterling silver and vintage Jewelry...I can't seem to find any real ones in China...LOL But I only Buy From the USA .So Not a Problem I have... Good Luck!

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually do buy American unless it's them reselling the same Chinese item at 20x the price. I am really low income so that's why I go through the hassle of waiting for the cheaper shipped items. I have read all of your replies and will implement your advice in future purchases. This is my first time consulting the forums. Thank you!

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I had an item arrive yesterday that was wrong and in my haste to leave FB, I really did not look at the item and it was similar but not what I wanted.  I sent the seller a note and they just refunded the price.  I will buy it again from another site (mostly China Sellers) but the items are correct and they arrive sooner than here.  I am not sure if I can post the site.  

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Never go for the re-send spiel.

If you had a problem with the first one, most likely there will be a problem with the second one.

Nip it in the bud.  Insist on a refund.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

It is a shame that apparently many Chinese business people have no code of ethics and cannot be trusted.

They ruin it for those who are honest.

They lie, don't ship, and some list hundreds of items, ship nothing and then close their accounts, taking the money and running.

I don't trust any of them!

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

It definitely has gotten worse, their delay tactics, excuses and no response has brought me to stop buying from china no matter how great the deal sounds, unfortunately the good sellers are going to suffer for the bad ones. Most of the bad ones have very little feedback and only a couple of items to be sold are definite signals of a scam and this guy is tired of it, they need to be screened better by ebay before becoming a seller and being able to lure buyers into their scam. 

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I do not mind waiting but yes packages are always late. But some more than others. I hate their excuses of bad weather, custom problems, etc. There are three things that get to me the most. 

1.) they start of by saying "Hello Friend" like we are not friends dont call me that. 

2.) almost always if you contact them once the estimated time of delivery has passed and tell them you haven't received the item, they always make you wait an extra week. No matter what. They always make you wait. 

3.) they ask you to call or go to the local post office. 

eBay really needs to update their policies in regards to people selling from other countries. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

i refuse to purchase from china simply becuase the communication is poor and they sell cheap garbage and flood the listings so the US sellers cannot be seen. i know you can filter them out, which i have done. Ebay makes a ton of money off of them so they wont be going away.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply