cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I do a chargeback

Scenario: I bought an item from a seller who doesn't take returns. In the time it took the item to arrive, I discovered I didn't need it, so I asked for a return which was denied.

May I do a chargeback to get refunded anyway? Or does this scenario qualify?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Can I do a chargeback

@florences7073 wrote:

Great. That's what I want to know. Do I have grounds? Thank you for answering. 

No, you do not. You ordered the item. You knew what it was when you were ordering it and you knew that the seller did not accept returns. You received (presumably) the item that was advertised in the condition described.

Chargebacks are meant to be used for cases where, for instance, the item you receive is not what you ordered and the seller refuses to accept a return or refund you. In this case, you got what you ordered, you just decided you didn't want it anymore. That is not a valid reason to do a chargeback.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 wrote:

Scenario: I bought an item from a seller who doesn't take returns. In the time it took the item to arrive, I discovered I didn't need it, so I asked for a return which was denied.

I'm shocked that a seller would do this to another seller for the non-legitimate "changed my mind" reason. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

That would not be right.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@florences7073 wrote:

I'm shocked that a seller would do this to another seller for the non-legitimate "changed my mind" reason. 

I do suspect we are not being told the whole story:

But I bet da list be being updated with every read by different users....

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@florences7073 

< May I do a chargeback to get refunded anyway >     

It's my understanding that a chargeback costs the seller an additional $20 on top of the refund.  If that's true, it would be an especially dirty stunt to play on the seller because you changed your mind.  

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Got it. That's why I came here to ask.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Hi @florences7073   When a buyer has a legitimate dispute, the order is first the eBay Return process, if eBay denies (which is actually not very likely), then the PayPal return process, if PayPal was used, and if all else fails, a credit card chargeback.

Credit card chargebacks are not automatic.  The credit card company does not automatically side with its customer.  The credit card company investigates and requires proof.  Many are denied.  

From the comment you left, it sounds like you get that you don't have a valid reason to return the item or pursue any of the return processes.  Good luck!

Message 22 of 22
latest reply