cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

Bought a sports card last week. The card was initially listed at $19.99. The picture made it seem like it a dark blue prizm so I added it to my watch list. A few days later I received a 50% off offer. So I accepted at $9.99. The picture made it seem like the card was a blue variation but when I received it this Monday it ended up being a LIGHT blue variation. Huge difference. The blue is a SP but the LIGHT blue is common. There is a light blue listed at $1.99 right now on here. Not only did the seller trick me with image but he overcharged me as well.

I was very upset and messaged the seller immediately. He replied and said he would give a full refund upon eBay guidelines.  Mentioned he had bad lighting when he took photo of card. I did not see a straight up refund option. Only a return option. So I jumped the gun and sent a refund request. I assumed he would just refund me and we would resolve without return. But he didn't. He accepted the return request. And paid for shipping label. I found it odd that he would do this for a $1.99 card. I don't want to waste more time and money on this $1.99 card. I don't want to risk this being lost on the way back. Why wouldn't the seller just refund me straight up? 

The seller says, they cannot be refunded for the return shipping label. Is this true? 

I really regret sending the return request. I just didn't see any other option available.

Can I cancel the return and ask ebay to step in? Or maybe the ask ebay to step in option appears in a few days and I should leave the return request open? I have not mailed the card back yet.

Hoping I have more options. I received the card on Monday two days ago.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

I forgot how the ask ebay to step in option works. It's been a few years since I dealt with a situation like this on ebay.

@worldseriesattitude91 

Okay, your current situation is this: The next  who can ask eBay to step in is the seller. That would happen in a few weeks after enough time has passed for you to get the seller's label scanned as you mail it back.

Since the seller has responded favorably to the case, at that ^^^ time if the seller asks eBay to step in and close the Return, you'll get to keep the card in-hand at the price out-of-pocket.

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

I think it's time to cry "UNCLE!!!!!" at this point. 

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

I can actually cancel the return. The option appears on my end.

This is not a condition problem. This is a color/variation problem. 

The seller knew what they were doing. The proof is in the photo as they made it seem to be DARK royal blue when it is actually LIGHT blue. Huge difference in value for these cards. 

Also the card was overpriced. It started at $20. Then reduced to $9.99 but it's still overpriced because the actual card is worth $1.99 or less.

And I did see the card listed at $1.99 that seller took great photos.

Of course I was incorrect the seller used the lighting against me in the picture to trick me.

You just don't understand b/c you are not in the hobby and haven't seen the cards.

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

Yea I can cancel the return on my end as well 

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

I screwed myself over sending that return request.

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

This happens a lot with the blue prizm and light/baby blue prizm variations.

You'd be surprised. In sports cards $10 can turn into $150-$500 depending on if a player becomes a star. 

But your right this might be a $10 lesson just to be more patient next time and let more options for me as a buyer become available. 

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

This is not a $10 lesson. 

You have a return shipping label. 

Send the item back and you will be refunded. 

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

I will say, OP, that the "attitude" part of your username is certainly correct.

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

That's what I wanted to know. I was hoping I had the ebay to step in option. 

I just checked my messages. The seller was going to refund me without wanting the card back. 

But he said he didn't know how to just refund me straight up. So I sent the return request which was so dumb. I had to wait for the ebay to step in option. Would have received partial refund probably.

A seller has the option to just refund when you open a return request.  Opening a return request is the correct thing to do when something isn't as described. You only get the eBay stepping in option when you open a return request and the seller doesn't either refund or send a return label so you can return for a refund. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 39 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

Yea I can cancel the return on my end as well 

You can cancel it but that gets you nothing...no return, no refund, nothing. 

Any seller who was trying to scam this would be fighting a losing battle. Since the seller would either need to refund when a buyer complains or pay to return for a refund.  Leaving them out the shipping costs.  It is completely possible the seller just has a bad picture. 

All you have to do is return it and you'll be refunded.  Easy 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 40 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 

The card I received is not what I paid for and it is so cheap/worthless that I do not want to send back because I want to avoid having it lost/wasting time/me having to waste more money than I already have when it was the seller who tried to scam me and lied about what the card was.”

^^^ This makes no sense. In the time spent here posting about it, the package could have been on its way back already. 

It also seems odd that you are willing to accept a partial refund (which means you keep the ‘worthless’ card) for an item you value at 20% of the price you paid. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 41 of 52
latest reply

@worldseriesattitude91 

You asked the seller for a refund of the card and the seller accepted your request and sent you a shipping label per eBay policy to send the card back for a full refund.

Now you just want the seller to give you a partial refund and let you keep the card. It doesn't work that way on eBay. If you want a refund you are going to have to send the card back, period.

Getting eBay involved is ridiculous. The seller is doing exactly what eBay tells them to do in this situation. 

You may not like it but that is how it works on eBay, either send it back or keep it that is your only 2 options.

If you cancel the refund request you will not be able to open another claim so you might as well get to the post office and send it back.

It doesn't matter that the card was misrepresented, according to you, you asked for a refund and the seller agreed to your request according to eBay guidelines. Now the balls in your court. 

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

The seller lied and said they didn't know how/couldn't refund. 

Should have partially refunded.

I assumed the seller would refund me when I opened the return request.

I didn't think they would bother spending $4 for shipping and tracking to get a $1.99 card back.

Would you waste $4 shipping for return to get a card worth $1.99 back? 

Or would you give me a partial refund? $9.99-1.99= $8

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

What? How is it odd for partial refund?

It's the easiest scenario for both seller and buyer in this situation.

The seller spent an extra $4 on return shipping for a card worth $1.99. To me that doesn't make sense.

Best to give partial refund. $9.99-$1.99=$8.

Seller was wrong to begin with. Would have never bought the card if better pic and description was made.

Makes perfect sense.

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

Lol this is funny I have to admit 

Message 45 of 52
latest reply