cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding

How come every time I try to bid on a item now a screen pops up telling me I have to put in a credit card or have to have a PayPal account I don’t have a PayPal account and i only use eBay cards instead of my credit cards it makes it impossible to bid on any auctions only do buy it how’s how many kids are going to get eBay cards for Christmas and not be able to use them it doesn’t make any sense 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bidding

eBay had been "experimenting" with requiring pre-authorization of payment for Best Offers for over a year and a half (started prior to Halloween 2021), adding more and more users into the test group required to do so (sellers can opt their listings out of it; buyers cannot opt out once they are assigned). Too many users were making offers and then not paying when it was accepted, and too many of those were scammers who would try to get the seller to text or email them to get their number/email address to send fake payment messages to.

They have now officially made it permanent and all buyers are now required to pre-authorize payment for Best Offers they make on listings for sellers who have not opted out of the program.   They started trying it out on auction bids (with a smaller group of buyers that is growing) in Spring or early Summer 2023 and that is still experimental.  They will also start experimenting with requiring pre-authorization or payment for accepting offers from sellers soon.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Bidding

@kcchie_20 

It sounds like eBay has forced your ID into the new program where you have to set a default payment source in order to proceed with bidding.   All buyer IDs are already forced to do this in order to make offers....

UNLESS....

The seller turns off these requirements from their end: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Many sellers don't even know that eBay placed these on their account with the default set to YES.  Some figured it out when they quit getting offers altogether, or bidding on their items seemed unusually low or got no bids at all. 

eBay is using this in the name of getting rid of non-paying buyers.  Unfortunately, it is at the expense of getting rid of buyers the DO pay as well.  There is no option to combine multiple items for one price, and buyer's payment choices are limited to just a few.  Sellers are unable to send an invoice for combined shipping discounts.  Everybody thus pays more, and eBay is happy without getting rid of the real  non-payers at all.  

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Yes incredibly stupid because I decided to only use eBay cards I can no longer bid on items mine you I have over 1400 purchases and a 100% buyer rating 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

@kcchie_20 

As your post is a bit vague, I will take a guess at what your issue is here.

Pre-authorizing a payment source ?

You will only be able to use your eBay cards (assume you are talking gift cards) to pay when bidding on/purchasing items from sellers that have disabled the eBay auto imposed requirement for buyers having to preauthorize for offers and bidding.

Edited to add a links to your other threads so you may possibly find your way back there.

Bidding - The eBay Community

Buying - The eBay Community

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Yes buyselljack2016 I am talking about eBay gift cards it just befuddles me how I have been able to bid on sport cards for years and now all of a sudden I can’t on this new screen that pops up whenever I try to bid on a card there is a spot to put in a credit card or a PayPal account but there isn’t a spot to put in a eBay gift card I’m sitting here with 2 $200 dollar eBay cards and I can’t use them to bid on anything 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Just as an FYI. as many buyers are not aware, the percentage rating is meaningless for buyers who don't also sell as it is mathematically impossible for it to be anything else other than 100%. So a seller is going to comletely ignore that. 

The number that DOES help is the number of purchases., especially spread out over a period like yours. It shows that you follow through. 

The settings to 'require buyers to provide payment info in advance' were automatically turned on for all sellers.

Reach out to the seller and ASK them if they are open to removing those requirements. Many are not due to non-paying bidders.

It sure would be nice if you could exempt certain buyers from those requirements. Similar to how you can allow certain buyers through who would otherwise be blocked because of more than 2 unpaid items in the past 12 months.  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Suggestion:  When you start a thread about a problem, it's better to stay with that thread rather than starting others about the same issue.  

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

eBay had been "experimenting" with requiring pre-authorization of payment for Best Offers for over a year and a half (started prior to Halloween 2021), adding more and more users into the test group required to do so (sellers can opt their listings out of it; buyers cannot opt out once they are assigned). Too many users were making offers and then not paying when it was accepted, and too many of those were scammers who would try to get the seller to text or email them to get their number/email address to send fake payment messages to.

They have now officially made it permanent and all buyers are now required to pre-authorize payment for Best Offers they make on listings for sellers who have not opted out of the program.   They started trying it out on auction bids (with a smaller group of buyers that is growing) in Spring or early Summer 2023 and that is still experimental.  They will also start experimenting with requiring pre-authorization or payment for accepting offers from sellers soon.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

FYI..all buyers have a 100% rating, because thats the only feedback that sellers can leave a buyer.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

I haven't checked the other threads, but are you bidding on any Auctions that also have 'or Best Offer' on them? I ask because (on those) you could contact the seller, explain your problem and ask that the seller send you an offer. Then, you can just go to Checkout and pay with your gift cards when you accept.

I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think that's still a workaround. Maybe it'll apply for your wants...

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Were these gifts?...assuming there is money on them...of course.

Or did you buy them instead of using a credit or debit card....and paid cash for them?

Need a real debit or credit card to bid....eBay doesn't know if there is any money on these gift cards.

Protection for the sellers I assume.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

How does anyone but you know how much money is on the eBay card or gas card or Chili"s card?

It protects sellers on auctions.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

How does anyone know there is any money on those eBay cards?...Anyone can just pick them off the rack at a store and slip them in their pockets.

Maybe its time to get a debit card? Just a thought.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

How does anyone but you know how much money is on the eBay card or gas card or Chili"s card?

It protects sellers on auctions.

Ebay knows the balance on their giftcards. With any gift card the issuer knows how much is left. And because eBay knows, the seller is protected, just as they're protected if the buyer has used a maxed-out credit card or a debit card linked to an overdrawn account. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Bidding

Have you used a eBay gift card lately?...have you purchased or sold anything lately on eBay?

eBay assumes there is no money on the card...of course...therefore, it doesn't process.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply