cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding

How come every time I try to bid on a item now a screen pops up telling me I have to put in a credit card or have to have a PayPal account I don’t have a PayPal account and i only use eBay cards instead of my credit cards it makes it impossible to bid on any auctions only do buy it how’s how many kids are going to get eBay cards for Christmas and not be able to use them it doesn’t make any sense 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bidding

@kcchie_20 wrote:

How come every time I try to bid on a item now a screen pops up telling me I have to put in a credit card or have to have a PayPal account I don’t have a PayPal account and i only use eBay cards instead of my credit cards it makes it impossible to bid on any auctions only do buy it how’s how many kids are going to get eBay cards for Christmas and not be able to use them it doesn’t make any sense 

You still need to put in a credit card or a PayPal account @kcchie_20 for your default payment method but they won't be charged 

an36344_0-1699838645507.jpeg

because you will also put in that gift card with enough balance to cover your entire bid amount. If you win, eBay will automatically take the payment from your gift card, and if that's not enough then from your default payment method.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Have you used a eBay gift card lately?...have you purchased or sold anything lately on eBay?

eBay assumes there is no money on the card...of course...therefore, it doesn't process.

Why yes, yes I have. I can assure you that eBay doesn't automatically assume there's no money on the eBay gift cards they sell and actively promote, thus not processing them. Because if they did the cards could never be used, by anyone. You'd think you'd hear about that on the news -- "Ebay Profits by Selling Gift Cards that Can't be Used!! Film at 11". 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@woodland_gnome,

While I do consider you to be one of the more informed members on this board, your reply to this topic is way out of date.  Yes ebay started out opting some buyers into the automatic payments, then opted all of us into it, but they also added two new Buyer Requirements to the existing ones

Buyer Payment Requirements

and pre-checked them opting sellers into  Automatic Payments without their knowledge.

mudshark61369_0-1699877402900.png

The last announcement concerning automatic payments which carefully avoids mentioning this had happened, was posted in the 6/28/23 Summer Seller Update. It was not specifically mentioned in the Spring Update announcement either even though they had already opted sellers into automatic payments prior to the Spring Update. They keep calling it; "More seller resources for resolving issues with unpaid items". 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I am very much aware of that, hence the "(sellers can opt their listings out of it; buyers cannot opt out once they are assigned)"

Message 19 of 19
latest reply