cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer & Auctions - received a pop-up that we need to update our payment method - can't change

We received a pop-up today when making an offer that we had to select a default payment method for all Best Offer and Auctions. The owner does the purchasing and I do the selling on ebay. She said she received a notice that she had to select a default form of payment for all Best offer and Auctions. It said that she will be charged immediately if her offer is accepted, without giving her a chance to review an invoice. Also, she said she used to be able to select which form of payment she wanted to use, but that function is no longer there. Some of our orders are very large, and she chooses a payment depending on the $ amount. Can anyone offer any insight or solutions, or is this just a permanent ebay fixture? I thought all Sellers had to use Managed Payments, so I'm not sure why it would matter what form of payment you use to purchase.

Thank you

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best Offer & Auctions - received a pop-up that we need to update our payment method - can't

eBay has implemented a new buyer requirement that sellers can use when listing with Best Offer. When a buyer makes an offer on a listing the buyer is asked for their method of payment in order for the offer to proceed to be shown to the seller. When the seller accepts the offer the offer is automatically sold to the buyer.

This has been put in place to prevent nonpayment that sellers have complained to eBay about. 

Read the policy here Making a Best Offer | eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Best Offer & Auctions - received a pop-up that we need to update our payment method - can't

Managed Payments is how sellers receive the money; it has nothing to do with the buyer’s funding source.

If you vary the source based on the amount, can you change the default as needed? Or is there a problem with overlapping offer time periods?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

eBay has implemented a new buyer requirement that sellers can use when listing with Best Offer. When a buyer makes an offer on a listing the buyer is asked for their method of payment in order for the offer to proceed to be shown to the seller. When the seller accepts the offer the offer is automatically sold to the buyer.

This has been put in place to prevent nonpayment that sellers have complained to eBay about. 

Read the policy here Making a Best Offer | eBay

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

As @ebooksdiva explains, this is a feature that was in beta for some users, but may apply to all by now, since it's policy.

One thing to check, @cstpos... look at your Account Settings/Your buyers/Manage who can buy from you.
Scroll to the bottom and see if you have 'Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer' (under 'Buyer Payment Requirements') ticked.

Mine is ticked, as is IPR on all my BIN listings. As a seller, I like the feature. I ticked it when the option was first allowed. If it's ticked, try un-ticking it. I don't know that this disables  it, but buyers sure can't get past it, if ticked. Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@ebooksdivaThanks. I told the owner that there were so many people not completing sales that was probably why ebay started this new policy. She said we always pay right away. I said it's not just 1 user - it's for everyone. As a seller, I'm glad they did it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

it's not just 1 user - it's for everyone...

@cstpos 

Not for everyone yet.  The BUYER ID must be forced into the program by eBay.  Otherwise, the setting to require an upfront payment source to even make the offer doesn't do a thing.   Sellers can also turn off the requirement if their products often sell to the same buyer for an adjusted shipping cost. 

It also prohibits a buyer from making offers on multiple items from the same seller in order to combine and save on shipping, for each one will be immediately billed and paid for with the full shipping price for each. 
Not going to happen, sorry.   No sense in me paying $5 shipping each on ten lightweight items that could easily be combined for six dollars instead of $50.   

I just noticed you have the default setting turned off.  My ID has been enrolled in the new upfront forced payment for offers program, and I am not prohibited from making offers to you.   

There are a few discussions about this currently.  Here is just one. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Attention-sellers-Best-offers-now-requiring-payment-method/td-...

Personally, I will not provide a payment source for auto billing. So those sellers that live in fear of an NPB will never know that I was going to offer 95$ on their $100 listing.   They can sell it for $75 to a buyer that provided the upfront source instead.  Or they can send ME an offer for $65, not knowing they could have gotten more.  When they require an upfront source in order to bid on auctions as well, it should be interesting.    

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@ittybitnot  I should have clarified - I was explaining to her that they weren't just targeting her.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I should have clarified ....

@cstpos 

I probably misinterpreted as well. No worries.  I have been really upset ever since my buyer ID was forced into this "make an offer punishment camp".  It is not like I never even once NOT paid for anything since 1998 and I have not earned over 4000 feedback by being a deadbeat.   I like to get multiple items from the same seller for combined shipping.  This program makes that no longer possible. 

The other day, when browsing I came upon a seller that used BIN/Best Offer exclusively.  I thought it was my lucky day!!!! They had six listings in the price rage of $65-$80.  Each had a shipping charge of $17  each (fair enough for a Priority Med Flat Rate).  The BINS for each were IPR.....I wanted six items, and all six of these products could fit in a Med Flat rate or even a large Flat Rate for $22.   So I decided to make offers between $60 and $70 and hoping to get a combined total for shipping as stated.  Even $25 would have been fine....but NOT $102.   I have to pay tax on that $102 as well.  

When I saw the blurb about having to put up the payment source first. I backed out.  I am not going to do it.  Made offers on nothing.  The seller will never know they could have had a decent sale from a buyer that pays within minutes.   Too worried about NPBs as opposed to making some bank.   It is the seller's choice.   For those that sell by auction, I wonder how it is going to work out when they make buyers put up that funding source in order to bid with no chance of combined shipping/invoice.  Guess we are going to find out. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I find myself also in the "make an offer punishment camp" sadly. There is no reason, I have always paid promptly. I have spent hours messaging with sellers to explain that now for my combined shipping they will need to refund excess shipping charges or change their buyer settings. I have contacted ebay "help" 3 times in tears and in fatigue. This is truly punishment for those of us who often buy more and ask for combined shipping from sellers who offer that. I cannot imagine going thru this with every seller in the future..why do buyers have to explain this to sellers? Isnt that ebay's job? why am I being punished? It is miserable 😞 Ebay is going to lose some very good buyers.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I find this very frustrating as I had multiple ways to pay and do not wish for eBay to take my options away from me.  How I pay depends on the amount I am spending.  I find this highly unfair to the buyer... if theiy are going to do this perhaps they should force bidders to pay automatically as well.  As a seller I've had two in the last two weeks that did not pay (after waiting a week I cancel and relist because what other choice do I have?).  At any rate - I will be making fewer offers to sellers based on this nonsense.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Then why don’t they just change it for the offenders and not everyone. It makes no sense for me to go through this when I make all my payments. I use pay in 4 from PayPal on a lot of purchases and now I can’t cause I can’t make offers or I’ll be charged full price. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply