cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for sales tax in New York?

So, I bought a tee shirt over the weekend and also decided to buy an android box. WEll, lo and behold, just found out that ebay charges sales tax now. So, I got on the phone with my brother-in -law who is an attorney, esp, knowledgeable in this area, as he was working on a committee to stop this being implemented when it was brought up.

Wow, is he angry, more than me, seems that noone was informed that this was going to occur, in fact, they just added my state, NY, to the mix. My reps and senators, didn 't even know when it was going to begin,  seems they just jumped over quite a few hoops without telling anybody and as I have been told, it began June 1st,  in fact it wasn't even posted anywhere on the Internet until after the weekend.

Here is the bottom line, they are going to meet again this weekend, the committee that was overseeing these bills regarding this issue. From what one of the members explained to me this afternoon, this might be the death knell for ebay, as already in his district the past two days,  online sales have plummeted and he did agres that it will help the local merchants and stores immensely, but  cautioned that , from his experience, even he will decline buying ebay goods as the incentive will just not be there anymore. Anyway, any concerns  that can be raised, would appreciate your input, For myself, that will take me out of the ebay bidding and buying game, unless there is a serious need or the price is minimal, bye, bye, American Ebay Pie!

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Being charged for sales tax in New York?

>>There has never been a "use tax" for making out of state purchases. Out of state purchases came with 0% tax or 0% use
>>tax. People don't know what they are talking about when they say that Ebay buyers from NY were supposed to pay a "use
>>tax" when they made purchases from out of state sellers. Just totally untrue

Those statements contradict
https://www.avalara.com/taxrates/en/blog/2013/10/the-skinny-on-new-yorks-use-tax.html
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/sales/nexus-faqs.htm
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/use_tax_for_individuals.htm

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

Apparently, from a Revolution over a tax on tea, we simply traded one tyrant for another.... that remains insatiable.
Message 47 of 56
latest reply

New York Resident Income Tax Return IT-201 Line 59 Sales or use tax.

That is where you were suppose to pay sales or use tax on items brought into New York State from out of state.

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@rrr555
"Paying both tax and shipping adds up. I think this will hurt sellers because many buyers will buy less as they see that new added charge of sales tax. 8% NY sales tax adds a lot. Many buyers will bid less on auctions and be more selective in what they buy. I usually buy a lot every week, but haven't bought anything since law went into effect June 1st"

So, as a buyer, you're just going to stop buying because you have to pay for shipping and taxes? Not sure who you are expecting to pay those things on your purchases.
Seems people think that ebay and sellers are at fault for the changes. No, they are just following the rules and going with the changes because the only other option is to just stop doing this altogether..
Message 49 of 56
latest reply

"im in process of canceling a purchase, I'm seeing tax and it's a end game for me ! I'm selling & buying 20 years come this Oct ! I'm NOT paying a tax ! Period end of story."

LOL
Message 50 of 56
latest reply

@fishinglureguy wrote:

If you purchase from an overseas company, you do not pay taxes.  Guess what these large corporations are going to do... again?

Yes you do.  The Sales Tax is based on the BUYER'S LOCATION, not the seller.  So eBay can and does collect the sales tax when a WA, NY, etc BUYER purchases from a seller in China.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 51 of 56
latest reply

@beez5720 wrote:
"im in process of canceling a purchase, I'm seeing tax and it's a end game for me ! I'm selling & buying 20 years come this Oct ! I'm NOT paying a tax ! Period end of story."

LOL

I suppose that is your prerogative, but since you were suppose to be paying it all along I don't see where that is going to work out well. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 52 of 56
latest reply

@7606dennis
I didn't write it, I quoted it and forgot to "@" the person who originally said it.
That's why I LOL'd
Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Are you saying the name of this particular tyrant is the State of New York?

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

Also the part that's really not fair is they charge tax on the shipping also. That should be illegal!

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

@member3245783 wrote:

Also the part that's really not fair is they charge tax on the shipping also. That should be illegal!

Actually, there are quite a few states that consider shipping a taxable service.  It appears that New York is one of them.  I suppose that you may campaign to have the legislature change that but I'm not optimistic about the chance of success.  Good luck if you try!Smiley Wink 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 56 of 56
latest reply