cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Payments on Buy it Now/Offers

I have decided after more than 15 years that I will no longer purchase from ebay. My preferred method of payment on eBay is paypal. My preferred method of payment on PayPal is my PayPal credit. Three times out of the last five purchases, PayPal has ignored my online purchase method of payment and taking money directly out of my checking account. This is due to eBay's new rule for automatic payments when you purchase something in buy it now or you make an offer. Instead of choosing which payment method you would like to use, it just automatically takes it out. This would be no problem if PayPal removed the payment from the correct preferred online purchase. EBay blames it on PayPal and PayPal blames it on ebay. EBay says that they made this rule so that sellers get their money instead of having to wait for it. I have absolutely no issue making an immediate payment however, I would like to choose where that money is coming from and PayPal is not allowing me to do so. They are just taking the money from whatever account they feel like taking it out of. My bank has removed and blocked PayPal from taking money out of any of my bank accounts however, in order to pay my PayPal credit card or my PayPal mastercard, they need to link my bank to it. So this is just a huge mess. The easiest way to fix this is just to not purchase from eBay at all anymore. It's no great loss considering that sellers are charging astronomical amounts for shipping unnecessarily.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Automatic Payments on Buy it Now/Offers

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 31 of 82
latest reply

Ebay controls how the automatic payment works, not paypal. I suggest you complete a payment yourself using ebay's automatic payment via making an offer on something you are interested in. When you make the offer or bid you choose an available payment method at THAT time, some options can be greyed out. What is available can change even when using PP as your checkout method on any offer or bid. I've tested it and I remove the chosen payment method from EBAY after each use.
@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Can you not go into your PayPal Wallet, select 'PayPal Credit' and save it as your 'Preferred method when paying online'? For what it's worth... I just tested it and it allows me to.

Message 32 of 82
latest reply

I already did all that. Actually eBay blames PayPal and PayPal blames ebay. No one wants to take responsibility for the reason that they are claiming that they have to take the money out of our accounts immediately. That's not the problem with me. The problem is that they're taking it out of the wrong account. My preferred method of payment is and always has been my PayPal credit. But they're not taking it out of that account. They're taking it out of my checking account. Now I spoke to a seller to which I have bought from many times previously and she was aware of the fact that the money gets taken from us immediately, however, the seller is still not being paid for 7 days. The whole purpose of taking the money immediately is so that the seller gets the money immediately which is not happening.

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

I already did all that. Actually eBay blames PayPal and PayPal blames ebay. No one wants to take responsibility for the reason that they are claiming that they have to take the money out of our accounts immediately. That's not the problem with me. The problem is that they're taking it out of the wrong account. My preferred method of payment is and always has been my PayPal credit. But they're not taking it out of that account. They're taking it out of my checking account. Now I spoke to a seller to which I have bought from many times previously and she was aware of the fact that the money gets taken from us immediately, however, the seller is still not being paid for 7 days. The whole purpose of taking the money immediately is so that the seller gets the money immediately which is not happening.

Not true. I would argue it doesn't even have to do with the timeline of when they take the money. The whole point is to secure the payment/method. Too many buyers skip out on payment. You are pre-authorizing the payment. Of course, there is no reason to delay, but EBay could have set this program up to charge your payment method 24 or 48 or 96 hours later, it would be silly but it would still guarantee payment which is the main/sole purpose. 

Furthermore, when the seller receives the funds related to your payment is completely irrelevant. Once your payment is received by eBay it takes 24+ hours to process the payment through the payment processor. THEN the funds can become available to the seller assuming there are no holds. The seller may have a 7 day hold on their proceeds, or they may have 7 day (weekly) payouts. So the timeline when the seller receives the funds in their bank account is not part of the equation for why you are paying "immediately".

Example ... You buy something from me, the payment you made will finish processing the following day. (Someone who bought from me yesterday, their payment doesn't complete processing until Midnight tonight.) Then my funds are immediately available (no holds). I could request immediate payout or wait until next week Tuesday for my regularly scheduled payout. Then it takes another 24 hours or so for the funds to show up in my checking account.

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

You can disagree all you want. I really don't care. The seller told me that they don't receive the money for 7 days after purchase. Which is the whole reason that eBay or PayPal decided to do this immediate payment thing. I don't have a problem with paying immediately. My problem is that they're not using my preferred method of payment and they are using my checking account. End of story. I have nothing more to say on this matter.

Message 35 of 82
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

You can disagree all you want. I really don't care. The seller told me that they don't receive the money for 7 days after purchase. Which is the whole reason that eBay or PayPal decided to do this immediate payment thing. I don't have a problem with paying immediately. My problem is that they're not using my preferred method of payment and they are using my checking account. End of story. I have nothing more to say on this matter.

Glad you don't mind my "disagreement". I'm just letting you know that you are wrong. I see in your original post you said "eBay says it's so sellers don't have to wait"... who told you that? A customer service rep? Sorry, they lie when they don't know the answers to your questions and...guess what ... they never know the answers to your questions (they always lie)...

It is not an "immediate payment thing" and has nothing to do with the timeline of the payment. It a "pre-authorized payment thing" because buyers weren't paying. While the payment is processed immediately, you're missing the purpose of the program. The issue isn't when they paid, that's not what the program solves, the issue is they DIDN'T pay. That is the problem it is designed to solve.

I'm not arguing it's a good program. I hate the program. I hate it more than you do quite frankly. I'm just informing you of the facts.

Is your preferred payment method one of the available payment options? You pre-select the payment method ... so IF your preferred payment method is one of the accepted payment methods for pre-authorized payment... then pick that method when they prompt you. If it's not an available option, and you don't like any of the options they provide you, then you really have no room to complain. You authorized the method, they didn't do this on their own. You had to agree to it and authorize it.

The problem is TONS of buyers are just not reading the little pop up window and they are shocked by the results and outcomes and blame eBay after the fact.

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

Okay. Just stop.

I've already spoken to PayPal and eBay several times regarding this issue.

Message 37 of 82
latest reply

“I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you “… That is the best saying I have heard in quite some time… I think I’m gonna borrow it… Great words of wisdom

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

The easiest way to fix this is just to not purchase from eBay at all anymore. 

It's easy for cheerleaders to 

blame a poor economy for the loss of buyers & declining sales

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

Because a lot of times, seller will accept a lower amount if you make an offer.

Right but a huge portion of listings don't even have 'Make Offer' available, because the seller already has the item priced rock-bottom.  So you're going to leave the whole platform because you can't haggle over every single item you want?  On what online platform CAN you do that?  In fact, where besides eBay can you do it with even some of the items?  

Message 40 of 82
latest reply

If eBay fails to automatically collect payment from the buyer's pre-selected card, they will treacherously do so from any other source they choose that is not authorized by the buyer for for this transaction. Here I must say that I live in a country where it is impossible to simply withdraw money to store in an account in any foreign bank (including my own PayPal wallet) without paying additional money for it. Usually this is done by third-party services for an additional fee. And for me, storing money on a foreign resource, such as my PayPal account, is great luck. And now, imagine, as soon as I won the lot, eBay steals money from me from my PayPal account, although I indicated my credit card at the bank as the source. I don’t know why this happened, maybe there was some kind of temporary glitch in the server of this bank, or magnetic storms, etc. (because I had all the money what they needed in my bank account), but eBay stole $500 from my private PayPal account, which was not intended for that purpose. I don't know how I should react to this, but I most likely will not use eBay services again, at least if this mode of automatic theft of money from sources not intended for this is still active. I just want to clarify that I almost always pay for my eBay purchases manually within 15 minutes, and with accounts in 3 different banks in my country, I plan very carefully from which bank I need to pay from for each purchase (without using the money that was laboriously transferred from my country to my PayPal wallet).

Message 41 of 82
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

Because a lot of times, seller will accept a lower amount if you make an offer.

Right but a huge portion of listings don't even have 'Make Offer' available, because the seller already has the item priced rock-bottom.  So you're going to leave the whole platform because you can't haggle over every single item you want?  On what online platform CAN you do that?  In fact, where besides eBay can you do it with even some of the items?  

What you have conveniently omitted is that this dunderheaded move now also applies to auction listings. And despite your wholly offensive casting of using Best Offer to "haggle over every single item you want", eBay makes that option available and many, many sellers use it. So it seems wholly irrelevant that you can't do it on other platforms.

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

It's absolutely relevant that you can't do it on other platforms, and thanks for the reminder about auctions -same with those too.  Meanwhile the vast majority of items on eBay have Buy It Now prices, which is why @kensgiftshop asked why she won't just buy items here that way, rather than never buy anything here again.  And her reply to him was "Because a lot of times a seller will accept a lower offer."  

She basically didn't answer his question at all, because she can't go making offers wherever else she decides to go.  Meanwhile eBay remains the hands down absolute BEST place to find a wide varity of items, especially pre-owned, for much lower prices.  

I'm sorry that you were "wholly offended" but I wasn't talking to you anyway. 

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

The whole purpose of taking the money immediately is so that the seller gets the money immediately which is not happening.

It doesn't have anything to with how fast the seller receives the money, it has to do with the seller getting paid period.

Have a great day
Message 44 of 82
latest reply

I went to bid on items today but it says to put my buying info in first before I can bid.  I won over $100,000 in ebay purchases in 2022 and 2023.  But I bid on nothing today because I won't put my payment info in first because when I was forced to do that with best offer and I won best offers; the money was taken from my checking account instead of my credit card even though I specifically said credit card.  So I stopped doing best offers and now today I'm done bidding on auctions so my $100,000 in purchases the past 2 years will be $0 unless this is removed.  This does not help sellers at all

Message 45 of 82
latest reply